Questions for Mark Yates

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Joey
I'm not surprised that about half of these questions are slating MY, mostly about things that are complete bullshit, grow up.

Questions:

What's it like winning the play-off final as a player and losing it as a manager?
Hardest decision you've had to make involving a player?
THECHOIRBOY
Joey wrote:I'm not surprised that about half of these questions are slating MY, mostly about things that are complete bullshit, grow up.

Questions:

What's it like winning the play-off final as a player and losing it as a manager?
Hardest decision you've had to make involving a player?
If my question (first one about getting balls in box) is perceived as a slate, just to confirm it isnt. I am a Rose Tinter! However, for a couple of seasons I have wondered if Yates's has a philosophy as we always seem to take more touches than our opposition who when they get close to edge of the box it is one touch, then cross and see what happens!! We dither!!
Horteng wrote:Jon please ask these as you don't normally ask my questions!!

Why do you make subs so late in a game unless injury forces an early one?
Do you believe that is still the case? I think he has improved this year and most first substitutions are made between 55-65 mins which is pretty acceptable in my book.
CheltRobin
Why is Deering consistently being played out on the wing, when his best position by far is just in front of midfield supporting the striker(s)?
Robin
What is the worst instance of dressing room bust up you have ever witnessed, either as a player or manager? You obviously do not need to name those involved.
Cinderford robin
First off thanks for making ctfc a good placeito come again over the last couple of years

And did you know who your partner was on about when she borrowed ny phone after the west ham a game, did she exsplain the dave bird story :) please ask this jp :)
bigdavejambo
what do you think of Steve Evans?
Nesty
what are you still hoping to achieve at CTFC?
ghandi
Did the glasses come from specsavers?Because he's still not seeing the blindingly obvious!
confused.com
everyman wrote:Our build up play is so slow that opposition fall back and limit our space,is the problem lack of confidence in midfield or poor movement of the forwards ?
+1
confused.com
Are you as good on FIFA 2012 as the experts on here ?
ghandi
Barring injurys,why do you always wait until 65mins have gone before you make any subs?
THECHOIRBOY
ghandi wrote:Barring injurys,why do you always wait until 65mins have gone before you make any subs?
But he hasnt this year for league matches?

- Burton - 21 Minutes Injury, then 82 Mins
- Chesterfield - 52 Mins
- Plymouth - 56 Mins
- Accrington - 62 mins
- Bury - 2 injuries so subs on 8, 29 mins
- Portsmouth - 32 min injury and 57 min tactical

So by my reckoning that is on average about 55-60. It is rare you see managers making changes much before then. (Except maybe Barry Fry back in the day with three at half time :-))

Sorry if am taking this thread off topic but I think this is something he has got more positive about this year.
confused.com
ghandi wrote:Barring injurys,why do you always wait until 65mins have gone before you make any subs?

Didn't know SG was injured on Saturday , what was the matter with him ?
ghandi
Congrats choirboy on the stats for sub times.I think if a manager sees that its not working even during the first half,he should change it.He who hesitates is lost!
THECHOIRBOY
ghandi wrote:Congrats choirboy on the stats for sub times.I think if a manager sees that its not working even during the first half,he should change it.He who hesitates is lost!
And how often do you ever see that in the Premier League or Football League? Tactical subs before half time?

Was not trying to be clever by using subs times, however, it frustrates me when people say "He never...." "he always...." when facts dont back it up!
Daveangel
Do you find it worrying that some fully grown adults can't spell the four letter word "lose"? :)
everyman
Daveangel wrote:Do you find it worrying that some fully grown adults can't spell the four letter word "lose"? :)
Most of them can spell TWAT !
Uppy
Why do you think it is that our form tends to drop off over the winter period?
Daveangel
everyman wrote:
Daveangel wrote:Do you find it worrying that some fully grown adults can't spell the four letter word "lose"? :)
Most of them can spell TWAT !
Most of them can spell lose. It's just that special few who add the extra "o" :)
Reliant Robin
Horteng wrote:What on earth possessed you to pay £60,000 for Jermaine McGlashan?
I hope this question doesn't get asked. It's an insult on a number of fronts. Jermaine's performances in the Play-offs in the year he signed got us to Wembley and more than recouped his transfer fee.

And that last sentence doesn't need to invite the "what's he done since?" from the usual culprits on this forum either. We wold be much less of a team without him.
Uppy
There is no chance that it would be asked. Horteng hates McGlashan more than he loves Cheltenham.
I-Love-CTFC
Horteng wrote:What on earth possessed you to pay £60,000 for Jermaine McGlashan?
What a moron!
little mo
CS85 wrote:Mals right,yates deffo hit a great villy in a big victory,pretty sure it was vs halifax.
Sorry to doubt you Mal. :lol: Senior moment from me.
Malabus
You must an expert spelling that word as your soccer team does it most weeks.
Red Duke
You were recently doing a Manager's training course in Turkey, what were the three best ideas that you learnt and will you implement them at Whaddon Road this season?
Daveangel
Malabus wrote:
You must an expert spelling that word as your soccer team does it most weeks.
Football in this country Mal.
Twice in 6 games this season. I'm surprised we're not calling for the manager to be sacked with stats like that :)
leohoenig
Are you aware you are currently the fifth longest serving manager in the Football League? Do you find this to be a shocking indictment of the lack of security for football managers, or do you find it a source of pride that you have stayed in a job for this length of time?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Are the dressing room facilities and training facilities better now than when you were a player here? How much do you think the club has developed and moved on in that time?
WelshRobin
If you could bring back one CTFC player from your playing days into todays squad, who would it be?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Richard Walker for me - no defensive shambles with him bossing it.
CheltRobin
How much of an impact do you think the injuries we've had so far have had on our results? Should the rest of the team be able to rise above the injury situation and still produce the results?
triggo
Mark
Seems like our back four ( sometimes back three as the full back has often gone for a ramble somewhere ),are becoming too easily overrun by opposition midfielders breaking fast into acres of space.
Whats gone wrong with the defensive midfield set up this season.
Is it the personnel or the set up.
Jon Palmer
The interview has been done, MY did not duck any questions from here or on twitter, video will be online shortly.
51/84
thanks JP I just cant wait the comments in response!
CheltRobin
Where has the MY questions video been posted?