JP on Billy Jones

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Why did he leave?

2:06
JP: it was down to a reason I've been told, but have agreed not to report
JP: but it was a very good reason
2:07
JP: and without doubt the correct decision
Shade
Leave it there. Good enough for me.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Why did he leave?

Ridiculous...... JP looking after his mate again!
taxidave
Horteng wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Why did he leave?
Ridiculous...... JP looking after his mate again!
If it was a football related reason then I have to agree with Horteng.
C.V
Poor on Palmer's front he should just have ignored the question,all this l know something but l am not saying especially from a press reporter not good enough.Makes you wonder what we can believe he ever reports in the future.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I was amazed too CV which is why I posted it on here.
RED ROB
Billy wouldn't have looked out of place today. How long Matt Richards will be happy to pay there remains to be seen. He's not a full back........is he ???
Robin
I thought Richards did well today, very solid and decent distribution unlike Lowe.
taxidave
Billy Jones was on the bench today.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yates said post match Richards wants to play midfield.
51/84
agree Richards is no LB but better than CBB and sido at lb
Jon Palmer
Unfortunately I am given a lot of information 'off the record' and there is not a lot I can do about that, if I ever want to be trusted or respected by anyone at the club in future.

But being told things I am not able to report in full does help me build informed opinions on certain matters and the departure of Billy Jones is one of them.
Nesty
Jon Palmer wrote:Unfortunately I am given a lot of information 'off the record' and there is not a lot I can do about that, if I ever want to be trusted or respected by anyone at the club in future.

But being told things I am not able to report in full does help me build informed opinions on certain matters and the departure of Billy Jones is one of them.
I respect that JP -
Cinderford robin
jesus jp has a job to do and one of them is not to burn bridges with the club. some of the comments on here are just childish some people need to get a life. keep up the good work jp.
C.V
As l said he should have ignored the question now hes disclosed there was an issue and he agrees with the out come.If he had said nothing no one would be any the wiser and this thread would not exist.Very poor from a press represenitive he should as he says keep things confidential and off the record and not put bait out there for people to add 2+2 and make 5.In future keep your off the record CONFIDENTIAL information to yourself.
Cinderford robin
im glad he has put a little bit out there, some fans I have spoke to are saying yates bullied him out, thats obviously not the case, to many people think they know what goes on at the training ground.
baggy89
Most interesting thing is the refusal to disclose the issue. I'd suggest there is an issue in proving the accuracy of said issue, hence the non-disclosure. Can't realistically be any other reason.
baggy89
Jon Palmer wrote:Unfortunately I am given a lot of information 'off the record' and there is not a lot I can do about that, if I ever want to be trusted or respected by anyone at the club in future.

Symptomatic of local sports media throughout the country. I have a recollection (elsewhere in the country), during a poor run of form, the normally sychophantic local sports journalist printed an off the record report of the the breakdown of relationships within the dressing room (this was attributed elsewhere to an international and club captain via a few too many drinks in a local establishment), cue a complete revocation of that particular media outlets welcome within the club's confines.
Jon Palmer
C.V wrote:As l said he should have ignored the question now hes disclosed there was an issue and he agrees with the out come.If he had said nothing no one would be any the wiser and this thread would not exist.Very poor from a press represenitive he should as he says keep things confidential and off the record and not put bait out there for people to add 2+2 and make 5.In future keep your off the record CONFIDENTIAL information to yourself.
No
jaggy
Calm down JP.
There are some on here who are doing everything they can to oust Yates , for what reason I dont know and they are now trying to use you as a pawn in their little game
To the posters on here JP is a professional , you can read his work and agree or disagree, accept it as fact or not
JP reports what Yates says as fact - he was there and has it on record
I dont always believe what Yates says about injuries , fitness etc for a number of reasons. Why should I believe Yates 100% but thats my choice and my decision
JP takes all the bits and makes a story let him get on with it
There was obviously more to the Jones story than has been revealed - some more facts may come to public knowledge but there are at least two sides to it. JP has said he thinks it was the correct decision, if he breaks a confidence it will never be given again

I knew a professional councillor who inadvertently gave information out not once but several times, the damage was done people left the establishment he worked for and it took them along time to rebuild
Yes we would all like to know so we can judge but unlike the ref yesterday the knowledge will not change the decision so move on
Are we a bit guilty of being jealous that JP knows something that we dont ?
Move on
Robin
Good post Jaggy, welcome back.
THECHOIRBOY
Agree Jaggy. We must be one of the luckiest lower league clubs around with the coverage we get. The Cover It Live updates, almost daily player videos, weekly chat sessions etc.

CV - if JP had disclosed it and then the Echo got barred from the Training ground and all future press conferences how would you feel? (was it Forest who banned the Nottingham Post?!)
C.V
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Agree Jaggy. We must be one of the luckiest lower league clubs around with the coverage we get. The Cover It Live updates, almost daily player videos, weekly chat sessions etc.

CV - if JP had disclosed it and then the Echo got barred from the Training ground and all future press conferences how would you feel? (was it Forest who banned the Nottingham Post?!)

As l said earlier if he had said nothing no one would be any the wiser and this thread would not exist and in my opinion that is correct.

Jaggy read what you wrote if your so called proffesional councillor had kept his mouth shut and never gave out information people would have been non the wiser and would not have left the establishment and they would not have needed to rebuild.
NormanP
Whatever the reason he has gone. I find it surprising some seem to get up tight about it - he was ok but nothing special. As he said no one else was showing ay interest when he signed for us. Granted he was decent at corners but then it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe Richards and Noble should be as well.
Horteng
NormanP wrote:Whatever the reason he has gone. I find it surprising some seem to get up tight about it - he was ok but nothing special. As he said no one else was showing ay interest when he signed for us. Granted he was decent at corners but then it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe Richards and Noble should be as well.
I think people are more concerned in the manner in which he left. BJ went from hero to zero with Yates and the fans are interested to know why. Its nothing to do with his ability.

Didn't JP do a story after Billy left where Billy said he didn't want to leave??????
Horteng
As CV says if you put the bait out then expect some to bite
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jaggy I back Yates and do not want him out.
Nesty
judging by the comments JP made, he was replying to questions asked of him on the live chat. What was he supposed to say? anything he said would have been wrong in some eyes... if he had said "no comment" it would have sparked even more speculation. I totally agree with JP's stance on this, he has such close contact with the players, management etc that he must get told loads of info. He has to judge whether it is repeatable in the press, and clearly what he was told about BJ's departure is "classified". I dont see the problem
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:judging by the comments JP made, he was replying to questions asked of him on the live chat. What was he supposed to say? anything he said would have been wrong in some eyes... if he had said "no comment" it would have sparked even more speculation. I totally agree with JP's stance on this, he has such close contact with the players, management etc that he must get told loads of info. He has to judge whether it is repeatable in the press, and clearly what he was told about BJ's departure is "classified". I dont see the problem
It was me who asked him.
C.V
If it was "classified" then thats what it should have been, his answer to the question should have been l dont know. If there was anything to report l will report it.Hes now put it out there that there was something that happened and he has been told, and agrees with the circumstances as to why he was shipped out.Every one moans about the secret society surley this is a classic example of it.

If you have something to say,say it dont dangle out the bait.If you are told something in confidence its meant to be kept in confidence.

Do you honestly think the clubs "press officer" James Brown would come out with a statment l know the background of Billy Jones's departure but l am not disclosing it.He as has as he should do has said nothing which is correct.
51/84
whats wrong with the official I can neither confirm or deny :lol:
Joey
Hmmmm. I'm not sure about the 4-3-3 if I'm honest. I felt yesterday was lacked something in the middle, it seemed far off from the days of Summerfield, Pack and Penn controlling the midfield. This was only emphasized when we switched to 4-3-3 and the ball appeared to completely miss the midfield for most of that time, hoofball became the main tactic. Then again, I'm probably completely wrong.
Robin
I agree Joey it was obvious midfield was our problem area yesterday.
Nesty
er......... wrong thread?
Shade
CV, you do realise you're the only one who seems to have a big problem with this? Everyone else has taken what JP has said as a trusted source that there was a good reason that BJ left, and therefore it wasn't MY deciding he didn't like him anymore and shutting him out.

Honestly don't see the big deal there. Get over it.