JP on Billy Jones

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Andy
Shade wrote: and therefore it wasn't MY deciding he didn't like him anymore and shutting him out.
Wasnt it? Doesnt say that :).

It may have been something that either one or both of them had done that meant the best thing was to part ways...we will never know publically unless someone that has been trusted with the information spills the beans of course - not that I would expect them to.

Im sure there are 101 things that JP learns / gets told / overhears at the training ground that hasnt been reported - probably because whilst it is nice to have a scoop, Im sure that JP also works to a code of ethics which means that he would only report something if it was in the public interest to do so...perhaps this thing with BJ isnt in the public interest to let on, however what was probably in the public interest is hearing that there was something that made this the right decision all round for everyone concerned - at least we know that whilst he may not wanted to have left, there was strong enough reason for him to do so.
Shade
Andy wrote:
Shade wrote: and therefore it wasn't MY deciding he didn't like him anymore and shutting him out.
Wasnt it? Doesnt say that :).

It may have been something that either one or both of them had done that meant the best thing was to part ways...we will never know publically unless someone that has been trusted with the information spills the beans of course - not that I would expect them to.
JP said it was a valid reason, and I don't believe that would be a valid reason...so no :)
taxidave
Shade wrote:CV, you do realise you're the only one who seems to have a big problem with this? Everyone else has taken what JP has said as a trusted source that there was a good reason that BJ left, and therefore it wasn't MY deciding he didn't like him anymore and shutting him out.
Honestly don't see the big deal there. Get over it.
None of us are any the wiser as to why Billy Jones was kicked out so I do not understand how you can say that we should all be happy about the situation and forget all about it. What JP considers to be a good reason may not be how others would weigh up the pros and cons if we were privy to the same information. A 12 man jury may not always be unanimous in their decision so why should the contributors to this forum all see things in the same light.
Horteng
taxidave wrote:
Shade wrote:CV, you do realise you're the only one who seems to have a big problem with this? Everyone else has taken what JP has said as a trusted source that there was a good reason that BJ left, and therefore it wasn't MY deciding he didn't like him anymore and shutting him out.
None of us are any the wiser as to why Billy Jones was kicked out so I do not understand how you can say that we should all be happy about the situation and forget all about it. What JP considers to be a good reason may not be how others would weigh up the pros and cons if we were privy to the same information. A 12 man jury may not always be unanimous in their decision so why should the contributors to this forum all see things in the same light.
Well said Dave....... What was this article about? http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the genuine fans deserve the genuine information..... Unless its very sensitive/ personal reasons then we should know and JP should of stated that yesterday.
Horteng
Cinderford robin wrote:jesus jp has a job to do and one of them is not to burn bridges with the club. some of the comments on here are just childish some people need to get a life. keep up the good work jp.
No one is questioning JP Burning bridges
NormanP
I don't think we have any right to know. However, it might be interesting to know then again it might not.

I just can't see what people are getting so keyed up about. The manager decided he wasn't part of his plans (not unusual in football), BJ was offered a deal to move on and he accepted.
confused.com
taxidave wrote:
Good grief, what on earth gives folk on her the idea that they have any right to know what goes on between an employee and his employer in these matters ??? Not too sure anyone on here signed his contract or DESERVES an explanation or their approval.
taxidave
NormanP wrote:I don't think we have any right to know. However, it might be interesting to know then again it might not.
I just can't see what people are getting so keyed up about. The manager decided he wasn't part of his plans (not unusual in football), BJ was offered a deal to move on and he accepted.
I could understand MY getting rid of him if we had had a surplus of defenders (and I am sure there would not be the uproar if that had been the case) but we were down to the bare minimum and since then have had to bring in loanees and are still playing a midfielder out of position to cover for the lack of a regular left back. Not only does this seem folly but a drain on our finances.
51/84
It has been claimed by some that CBB was on half of what BJ was on
So when Jones was paid off it was saving money
No one knew we would have a lack of defenders 2 weeks later
Not depending it as I thing CBB is value for money paid
Just not good enough value
Andy
51/84 wrote:It has been claimed by some that CBB was on half of what BJ was on
Is it?

How do we know that Jones didnt insist on getting paid up for his entire contract - therefore we have had to pay for the annual salary AND CBB still...

No one knows if it has saved us money or not other than those involved.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It was when JP said about CBB being on half the money Jones was that I asked if Jones was ditched for financial reasons. The answer was no, with the response pasted in my original post.
taxidave
51/84 wrote:It has been claimed by some that CBB was on half of what BJ was on
No one knew we would have a lack of defenders 2 weeks later
Not depending it as I thing CBB is value for money paid
Just not good enough value
That is the worst bit of financial logic I have ever heard, you still have to pay out 2 lots of wages even if one is a lump sum and not on a monthly basis.
We only ever had 6 defenders including Jones, to cover 4 positions, so it was fairly obvious from the outset that we did not have enough cover.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Never a financial decision.
Shade
taxidave wrote:
I didn't say you should all be happy. I was inferring you should accept it, because it's the closest to a decent answer you're going to get.
taxidave
Shade wrote: I didn't say you should all be happy. I was inferring you should accept it, because it's the closest to a decent answer you're going to get.
But that is surely the problem, we haven't had a decent answer but I am sure the truth will come out eventually. :roll:
Ralph
"decent" as in breaking confidences to tell you what he knows?

Please define the term "decent". We already had a decent answer from JP in this thread
taxidave
Ralph wrote:"decent" as in breaking confidences to tell you what he knows?

Please define the term "decent". We already had a decent answer from JP in this thread
If the reason was football related then I cannot understand why we cannot be told the whole truth.
If it was for something else then it would be sufficient to state that there were "personal" reasons.
51/84
to further explain I was told that it saves Ni and tax so I assume it is either seen as redundancy or compensation

I dont know the sums involved and I am sceptical myself if it can actually turn a profit but it may depend on what the difference between the 2 wages was
Someone has flagged a BBC article about contracts and as I have said previously if you dont know what the terms are then you can only speculate about what the financial affairs are
No amount of banging on is going to get the information
Perhaps PG will put it in his autobiography
Laurence
Two things worth pointing out. First, this is a private matter between an employee and a company. There's no public interest argument here, no Freedom of Information requirement (CTFC aren't a public body and Jones has data protection rights) and it seems that neither club or player are seeking legal redress through a tribunal, so we must assume the matter is closed.

Second, JP is a journalist, and if journalists are given information clearly stated as "off the record" then they can not then name sources unless identities are agreed, for example, we've all heard of "sources close to the Prime Minister" or "senior government ministers". In the case of Jonesgate, it wouldn't be too hard to work out the relevant sources. If a newspaper or journalist feels that there is a compelling public interest (for example, manipulating intelligence reports to launch a war in Iraq) then they can run the risk of damaging their professional reputation and possible legal liability for reporting a story, but I suspect the real story behind releasing a left-back from a League Two club doesn't really count as compelling public interest. It certainly isn't right to deny knowledge of a story when you do have knowledge, but at the same time you aren't then compelled to tell that story outside of a courtroom.
Uppy
We'll probably find out at some point, but the official site is terrible. Can you imagine having to rely on that for news because JP wasn't given any information?
RED ROB
Ah well he went weeks ago and I'm not really bothered as to why he went.
As with Bennett "IF" they voiced an opinion and undermined the manager ( not saying that happened ) Yates had every tight to boot them out of the door. He is the manager and sure PB and the board knew the reasons and backed the decision.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I reckoned he used up all the club Brylcream.