Corner turned. Well done Yatesy.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Joey
One would presume once MY can be sure the back four won't leak in goals, it would allow for a more attacking player such as Deering to replace Taylor in the middle.
Hubert Parry
Well this turned out well...
Circa 1887
Hubert Parry wrote:Well this turned out well...
This was always a knee jerk thread from the start. No surprise to see it proven wrong.
C.V
We did turn the corner the trouble is it was a dead end
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:
This was always a knee jerk thread from the start. No surprise to see it proven wrong.
I wasn't to know we were going to go with Penn 'out wide' again!
Shade
A 2-0 defeat at Scunthorpe ain't exactly a shock. Given the second was scored at the end as we pushed for an equaliser, and our record at Scunny, I was fully expecting a defeat, hopeful of a draw. Just because we lose against a decent team away from home doesn't mean we haven't turned a corner. Just remember 2 weeks ago we shipped 4 to a poor Torquay.
Circa 1887
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:
I wasn't to know we were going to go with Penn 'out wide' again!
He played out wide against Wimbledon too...a game that prompted this thread.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa, Go to the 'Yates backers' thread and seee my response to Shade after he suggested the same as you which I copied as my response to Horteng when he also suggested the same as you. I've explained enough times.
Circa 1887
I'm not sure I need to. Penn was on the left of a four man midfield vs Wimbledon, until we went 4-3-3. We won. It wasn't mentioned in your assessment that we'd turned a corner.

I sense that you're trying to backtrack, now.

I'm not sure how many games you've been to this season (I mention this as BBC Glos often paint a different picture to what I've actually watched), but with the exception of 20-40 minute spells in games, here and there, we haven't really come close to playing a decent calibre of football.
C.V
I'm not sure how many games you've been to this season (I mention this as BBC Glos often paint a different picture to what I've actually watched), but with the exception of 20-40 minute spells in games, here and there, we haven't really come close to playing a decent calibre of football

And there lies the problem.I speak regularly with Derek Goddard and he always says the same thing.The press reports and radio commenties we hear are all by fans of the club.They do portray a false perspective.Derek was a sports reporter not a fan he told it as it was.
You see the interviews with Jon Palmer and you have to think hey, is this chap an employee of the club or is he a sports reporter.The manager is never put under any pressure its all pally pally.
The commentry as well is biased as the commentators are all fans we need un biased reporting and commentry.If you speak out about it they go all defensive and will not hear anything said against the club.They need to take the blinkers of and report what is really happening.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:I'm not sure I need to. Penn was on the left of a four man midfield vs Wimbledon, until we went 4-3-3. We won. It wasn't mentioned in your assessment that we'd turned a corner.

I sense that you're trying to backtrack, now.

I'm not sure how many games you've been to this season (I mention this as BBC Glos often paint a different picture to what I've actually watched), but with the exception of 20-40 minute spells in games, here and there, we haven't really come close to playing a decent calibre of football.
Shortly after the Wimbledon game I said Penn should not be out wide. If I did any backtracking I did so days before the Scunthorpe game where I always maintained the need to be brave and stick to a proper eleven even if it hasn't worked, and that Penn on the wing was not part of a proper eleven. In the Wimbledon match thread you'll see that right after full-time I highlighted how after the odd line-up was rectified we went on to win the game with a proper eleven on the field. That should have shown Yates the type of line-up required and from his interview he sounded like he had decided not to use Penn out wide. As I stated a few posts up when I wrote this thread I did not anticipate Yates not learning from that match-winning change. I suggest you backtrack vthrough the other threads from last week where this has all been addressed.
CheltRobin
CV - To be fair, I think the Radio Glos commentators do a good job overall of describing Chelt's performances. Of course, they will be biased to some extent, but they give the oppo credit where credit is due and they do slate the Chelt performance, players, bad passes, shots, tackles etc when it is deserved.

I've heard some of the Midlands radio local commentary - now that IS biased!!