Jamie Edge

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

taxidave
Don't know whether this is in the right section as it is Gloucester City related but also one of our ex players, and have no idea how true it is but according to CoF he has been released.
http://cof.tigerroar.co.uk/showthread.p ... play/page3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
Considering it was you that bluntly pointed out the following yesterday then surely you know what thread it belongs in:
taxidave wrote:
Malabus wrote:They purposely drew 1-1 this afternoon in order to avoid their inevitable slaughter in the Glos cup
Come on then Ralph show your authority and move this to OTHER FOOTY.
Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.
taxidave
Andy wrote:Considering it was you that bluntly pointed out the following yesterday then surely you know what thread it belongs in:
taxidave wrote:
Malabus wrote:They purposely drew 1-1 this afternoon in order to avoid their inevitable slaughter in the Glos cup
Come on then Ralph show your authority and move this to OTHER FOOTY.
Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.
But then again.....
CTFC CHAT ONLY
Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 2, ex players & Managers
Andy
Yes and with the one yesterday

CTFC CHAT ONLY
Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 2, ex players & Managers

as it was relating to postponing one of our games albeit a reserves county cup game.

Yet you still moaned to get it moved.
taxidave
But that was intended as a bit of a p!ss take because Ralph had moved the comments about the back pass in the Sunderland v Liverpool match despite it being relative to the incident in our match.
Andy
How high can I get this....

Malabus
Andy wrote:How high can I get this....

Not very high as he has a very bad peeing stance: too much knee bending which will greatly effect the elevation of the urine and also the experts out there will be horrified to see him too close the wall which may result in splash-backs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Career gone down hill fast.
Hubert Parry
Considering how quiet the forum is generally, petty disputes over which section a post belongs in seem a bit disproportionate. Get the feeling that we have done as well out of Jamie Edge as we have done as badly out of Michael Duff.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Considering how quiet the forum is generally, petty disputes over which section a post belongs in seem a bit disproportionate. Get the feeling that we have done as well out of Jamie Edge as we have done as badly out of Michael Duff.
How do you feel he would performing now had we kept him and played him in the first team?
Uppy
Not sure he'd have made it. Reports were that he had been doing relatively well at Arsenal, then he moved to West Brom. Their coaching and facilities would have been a lot better, you'd imagine, and I doubt that (in such a short period) first team football would have made THAT much difference.
CheltRobin
I'm staggered by what's happened to Edge - from Arsenal to WBA to Glos City to - no footy career at all?? What the hell happened?!?
confused.com
Hubert Parry wrote:Considering how quiet the forum is generally, petty disputes over which section a post belongs in seem a bit disproportionate. Get the feeling that we have done as well out of Jamie Edge as we have done as badly out of Michael Duff.
No need to fear, the forum will soon be buzzing again. One of the following is bound to happen and get the keyboard warriors out

1. MY does an interview and does not stare out the camera lens for 100% of the time
2. MY does an interview and rubs his stubble more than once
3. MY plays a player in an unorthadox role that does not fit within the rules of EA Sports, Academy of football management
4. We lose a game
5. We draw a game
6. Crowd drops 1 below the seaons average
7. We draw a good club in a cup competition , triggering massive concern over tickets, allocation, bus travel etc etc etc
8. Someone dares to give an opinion that has not been to 99% of all away games in the last 50 years
9. Not forgetting a typo or spelling / grammar error - multi comment thread alert
10. Someone states something that gives even the pretence of being positive
Andy
You forgot one confused.

We win a game but it was only because the other team were c!#p and not because we played well making them look c!#p.
Shade
CheltRobin wrote:I'm staggered by what's happened to Edge - from Arsenal to WBA to Glos City to - no footy career at all?? What the hell happened?!?
I'm guessing that after being let go by Arsenal he's been on the downward slide of waning confidence and maybe wondering if he wants it bad enough. If he was still at Cheltenham and had never gone to Arsenal maybe he would still be thought of as a really good prospect who was still fighting toward that dream move, rather than having had it and lost it.
Malabus
CheltRobin wrote:I'm staggered by what's happened to Edge - from Arsenal to WBA to Glos City to - no footy career at all?? What the hell happened?!?
The career ended when he went to Gloucester.
Circa 1887
Spot on, on both points.

Conducted in the current market, I suspect the Duff deal would have looked vastly different. Still, i'm sure that friendly was worth a lot to us ;)

Also, you have to consider that the current set of transfer rules are firmly geared towards protecting clubs who have their youngsters poached...so we'd have probably done better now if Duff had been a youth team player, compared to what we managed back then!

On your other point, I think there is a direct correlation between petty posts and time on hands. More of the former resulting from too much of the latter.
Laurence
I've heard general talk about how big the gap is between 16-18 and the transition to the professional level. You also wonder how important mentality is in becoming a professional footballer, not being intimidated by others for a start. I just remembered this Bob Paisley quote:
"The sort of lad I'm looking for here is a kid who'll try to nutmeg Kevin Keegan in a training match... but then step aside for him in the corridor."
There's around 2 million people who regularly play football in England, and at a rough calculation only 5,000 or so full-time professionals - that's about 2.5 percent. If you think only 1012 players can start a Premier League/Football League game this weekend, that reduces the percentage to 0.05 percent. Yes, there are a lot of qualifications to that statistic, but I think it still gives an idea of how small the odds are of making it to the professional game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Think how many kids are at Arsenal and big clubs and never play again once being released. Thousands.
London Exile
The impression I get of the top clubs in our country now is that they have so much money they can afford to offer 18 year olds 1 or 2 year professional contracts and see how they develop.
Many young players probably think they've made it before kicking a ball for he 1st team.
Clubs in the lower leagues can't afford this luxury and our youth team graduates need to be ready to stake a claim for the 1st team squad.
taxidave
London Exile wrote:Clubs in the lower leagues can't afford this luxury and our youth team graduates need to be ready to stake a claim for the 1st team squad.
Then why are two of last season's graduates playing for Cleeve in a league 2 levels below Gloucester City ? :?
London Exile
I must admit TD that its disappointing that neither are in or around the first team, but the lack of competitive reserve team can't help.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
London Exile wrote:Clubs in the lower leagues can't afford this luxury and our youth team graduates need to be ready to stake a claim for the 1st team squad.
Then why are two of last season's graduates playing for Cleeve in a league 2 levels below Gloucester City ? :?
A point I made a short-while ago in a different thread.
mattyboi
Well, with John Brough now at Cleeve, id imagine that is where the Jamie Edge bus will stop next, link up with ex youth team players and get regular football.
trickster
Shade wrote:
I'm guessing that after being let go by Arsenal he's been on the downward slide of waning confidence and maybe wondering if he wants it bad enough. If he was still at Cheltenham and had never gone to Arsenal maybe he would still be thought of as a really good prospect who was still fighting toward that dream move, rather than having had it and lost it.
I think we are overlooking something that was mentioned on here sometime ago, it was reported that he was out of football for a period of time with tendonitis, I don’t know the lad but I do know about tendonitis, any kind of repetitive activity can make this condition very painful and it was said to be in his ankle or foot in fact any part of the leg for a footballer this can be disastrous, it’s sometimes due to RSI so how can you tell a footballer not to kick a ball, and if to be a footballer was his life’s ambition to push yourself through the pain barrier could possibly be your only chance to make it, I remember someone saying he was having injections in the troublesome area, that’s a bad sign that means it was fairly chronic.

Like I said I don’t know the lad but to go from an Arsenal youth player to the depths he’s now fallen seems odd so my guess is there is more to it than meets the eye, if you had tendonitis and managed to play once a week which is highly unlikely you wouldn’t be able to train, tendonitis can sometimes develop into rheumatoid arthritis and that’s something you really don’t want.

What I’ve said is purely conjecture I do not know the state of his health, but I have a feeling it’s probably nearer the truth rather than the lad just losing his form.
Sprout Picker
trickster wrote:
Shade wrote:
I think we are overlooking something that was mentioned on here sometime ago, it was reported that he was out of football for a period of time with tendonitis, I don’t know the lad but I do know about tendonitis, any kind of repetitive activity can make this condition very painful and it was said to be in his ankle or foot in fact any part of the leg for a footballer this can be disastrous, it’s sometimes due to RSI so how can you tell a footballer not to kick a ball, and if to be a footballer was his life’s ambition to push yourself through the pain barrier could possibly be your only chance to make it, I remember someone saying he was having injections in the troublesome area, that’s a bad sign that means it was fairly chronic.

Like I said I don’t know the lad but to go from an Arsenal youth player to the depths he’s now fallen seems odd so my guess is there is more to it than meets the eye, if you had tendonitis and managed to play once a week which is highly unlikely you wouldn’t be able to train, tendonitis can sometimes develop into rheumatoid arthritis and that’s something you really don’t want.

What I’ve said is purely conjecture I do not know the state of his health, but I have a feeling it’s probably nearer the truth rather than the lad just losing his form.
Interesting point Trickster, could be on the money. I have bad arthritis in one ankle and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
mattyboi
Now off to Cirencester
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2h1KlFguz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carthorse Ted
mattyboi wrote:Now off to Cirencester
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2h1KlFguz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doing a Michael Duff, only in reverse.
trickster
Why doesn’t the Echo interview him and put his story in the “Pink Un”, I’m sure if it was advertised properly it would sell a few more copies, it doesn’t have to embarrass him just let him tell his own story, the ups and downs of a young footballer, if it went wrong why does he think it went wrong.

I’m sure Gloucestershire football fans would want to read it also any youngsters hoping to become a professional footballer would be interested in what he as to say, in no way would I want to humiliate him but it would be interesting to know his thoughts.
mattyboi
The merry go round continues, now on trial at Hereford until end of season whilst studying at hartpury.
Malabus
Came on tonight for Hereford in the last 10mins.
Uppy
Moving back up then.
Piro Teknix
It does make you wonder what sort of clown the Gloucester City manager must be if he cannot see the obvious talent that Edge must have. Firstly he doesn't play the lad and then he releases him and now he is playing for a side in the Skrill Premier division whereas Gloucester are struggling at the bottom end of the division below.
everyman
He looked very good for Cirencester,Brian Hughes and Kevin Willetts have restored his confidence and fitness levels,he has all the qualities to make it in league 2 at least.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Piro Teknix wrote:It does make you wonder what sort of clown the Gloucester City manager must be if he cannot see the obvious talent that Edge must have. Firstly he doesn't play the lad and then he releases him and now he is playing for a side in the Skrill Premier division whereas Gloucester are struggling at the bottom end of the division below.

ZK an unused sub for Gloucester too.