Well, I'll be damned.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
We lose again.

We concede in the first few minutes again.

We concede to finish the game again.

Something has to change... but what?
Malabus
Going by the radio we played well, but its four away defeats in five.
Malabus
Going by the radio we played well, but its four away defeats in five.
vcinthestand
so where do we go from here
daggers away cant see us doing anything but at least it is not up north
rasta
you only have to play badly for a couple of minutes a game to concede, cannot see any hope for us with what we got
Joey
10 games in, silly season is over and to celebrate we lose 2-0. The bottom half consists of Northampton, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Plymouth, Bury and Portsmouth; all who were tipped to do well this season. 8 points separate us from 7th place, which in footballing terms isn't *that much*.

If comes 10 games time we're still in the same situation; hit the panic button. While I do have concerns with certain players and some of the tactics, I don't think our season is over just yet. I still stick by the phrase "It's not how you start, it's how you finish.".

As for what has to change, hopefully CBB will be able to come in at LB next week. I'd drop Richards as he's failed to impress me this season apart from the Oxford game. I'd play Penn along with Noble as I feel he's wasted out wide. Start Cureton instead of Harrison as we need goals and I find Gornell has stronger link up play and skill than Harrison. I'm tempted to suggest to give the Brown+Elliott pairing at the back a go but Wilson hasn't done anything wrong from what I've seen. Against Dagenham I'd start two wingers so the addition would be Kowitcha, he has the desire and the ambition we need and has played well each time he's come on.

There's my Football Manager, blinkered fan opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
If comes 10 games time we're still in the same situation; hit the panic button.
I assume you meant the situation of being 90th in the Football League, not the situation of being eight points from the top seven, which would not be too disastrous?
little mo
Malabus wrote:Going by the radio we played well, but its four away defeats in five.
First half I thought we were shocking. Second half we gave it a right good go. But for all that their goalie only had one save to make. I really don't know what to think after watching that, but have to admit, it is not good.
mattyboi
If we could end the season now and guarantee our survival but finish 22nd would people take it? I would.
solihullkev
Joey - Harrison was immense in the air today and is a more effective partner for Cureton I would think than Gornell ; though I think Gornell has played well of late. Those three will serve us well this season.
Taz1985
You would drop Richards for CBB.

No offense but are you mental, that lad can't defend for s#!t.
I-Love-CTFC
Yates let a perfectly good left back go. His inflated ego got in the way of his judgement.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Yates let a perfectly good left back go. His inflated ego got in the way of his judgement.
For all we know his ego had nothing to do with it - a secret unexplained reason.
leohoenig
The trouble with Jones was he only became a hero to posters on this board after he left - before that he was a liability who set up a few goals but could not defend for toffee. Meanwhile, after his initial impression for Newport, he was subsituted at half time in the second game when he could not cope with the Exeter attack and has not appeared since. Where's that brick wall?
Peter Griffin
Exactly Leo. For all his assists last season, how many times was he given the runaround by a speedy opposition winger. CBB seems to be being harshly written off but I can't recall him doing anything wrong except for apparently being guilty of "hoofball". He's also only played 6 games plus 10 minutes for the club. I look forward to his return against Dagenham.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Peter Griffin wrote:Exactly Leo. For all his assists last season, how many times was he given the runaround by a speedy opposition winger. CBB seems to be being harshly written off but I can't recall him doing anything wrong except for apparently being guilty of "hoofball". He's also only played 6 games plus 10 minutes for the club. I look forward to his return against Dagenham.
By all means CBB is our first choice (I have knocked him but that was harsh given how little he has played) but who is the back-up left-back for when he is injured? I'd rather have a slow left back wiping brick dust off his shirt to stand in when required than no left-back at all.

My only gripe is the lack of a 22 man squad meaning we have to watch players toiling away out of position. Aside from that I'm just looking forward to the rest of the season as ever.
Robin
mattyboi wrote:If we could end the season now and guarantee our survival but finish 22nd would people take it? I would.
No I don't believe for one moment we will go down, if we finish in the bottom half it would be a major failing. The only question is whether Yates will guide us there or if we sack him and replace him with someone who can put out a balanced, organised and motivated team from the current crop.
Jebolani
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Yates let a perfectly good left back go. His inflated ego got in the way of his judgement.
The perfectly good left back who got tore apart numerous times last season? Please, give over. Jones had a cracking delivery, but couldn't defend for toffee. Yates shouldn't have lied about him asking to leave, but was well within his right to let him go. A decent decision considering CBB has looked much better.
RED ROB
A decent decision considering CBB has looked much better.
:? :? :?
I don't think so but only an opinion.
51/84
Robin wrote:
mattyboi wrote:If we could end the season now and guarantee our survival but finish 22nd would people take it? I would.
No I don't believe for one moment we will go down, if we finish in the bottom half it would be a major failing. The only question is whether Yates will guide us there or if we sack him and replace him with someone who can put out a balanced, organised and motivated team from the current crop.
So are you saying we are to good to go down

Replace Yates with someone who can put out a balanced....... team

Can you tell us what your balanced team would be remembering our LB is injured and of little experience ( and perhaps ability ) at this level
We have LM/winger who thinks hes a CF, a CM who wants to play in the hole and a CM who is supposed to be able to play LB
I-Love-CTFC
Jebolani wrote:
The perfectly good left back who got tore apart numerous times last season? Please, give over. Jones had a cracking delivery, but couldn't defend for toffee. Yates shouldn't have lied about him asking to leave, but was well within his right to let him go. A decent decision considering CBB has looked much better.
Are you having a laugh? Judging by what I've seen of CBB he is no better defensively than Jones, he hasn't looked particularly comfortable when he played in our opening games. At least Jones could put in a decent delivery. How many assists did Jones get last season again? I'm afraid Yates got it wrong just like he got it wrong about bringing Ashley Vincent back.
Jebolani
Oh right yeah of course. Yeah totally, CBB has played his first league games whereas Jones is an experienced left back, but sure. CBB has only played 3 league games (all in which he coped fine) but yeah. We should have kept Jones. His crossing was really good!!! He was such a good left back because he got 'x' assists from corners!!!
51/84
Jebi We dont need a LB who is learning the game and is average at best
We needed 1st team player who hit the ground running and improved the team which undortuneatelt CBB didnt
He gave away 2 free kicks just outside the box in 2 games and the opposition scored
He tried to play on when ijnured and caused chaos
Thats 3 out of 6 not a great start.
So what attributes does he have - I forgot he can run fast but no final ball
Jebolani
His pace is so valuable, Jones got beaten so many times last season it was ridiculous. The playoff first leg was embarrassing! Give CBB time, it's not exactly his fault we're in the position we're in, let's just hope he can hit the ground running and the team improve.
I-Love-CTFC
Jebolani wrote:Oh right yeah of course. Yeah totally, CBB has played his first league games whereas Jones is an experienced left back, but sure. CBB has only played 3 league games (all in which he coped fine) but yeah. We should have kept Jones. His crossing was really good!!! He was such a good left back because he got 'x' assists from corners!!!
Your idea of 'coped fine' is very different to most people. We had a left back who had plenty of Football League experience and Yates decides to make CBB his first choice left back who has spent the majority of his career in the Conference. As for CBB's pace there was an occasion against Burton where their winger skinned him. It's all good having pace but if you have no positional sense then it's wasted.
Jebolani
Annnnnnnd you honestly think Jones did well last season? I think Yates' decision to let him go was good. Can you give me examples of when CBB hasn't coped?
I-Love-CTFC
Jebolani wrote:Annnnnnnd you honestly think Jones did well last season? I think Yates' decision to let him go was good. Can you give me examples of when CBB hasn't coped?
I can think of a number of occasions where Jones' assists led to us winning matches. Chesterfield at home, Aldershot away, Gillingham home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:Jebi We dont need a LB who is learning the game and is average at best

We needed 1st team player who hit the ground running and improved the team which undortuneatelt CBB didnt
What we have and what you say we need are two different things. Like it or lump it CBB is the only left back at the club so for me he is one of the first names on the team sheet.
Jebolani
Easily replacable. I'd much rather a defender who can defend rather than someone who has a good set piece.
I-Love-CTFC
Jebolani wrote:Easily replacable. I'd much rather a defender who can defend rather than someone who has a good set piece.
It can't be that easy as we haven't replaced him very well.
Jebolani
Sorry, are we actually judging CBB off about 5 games? Seriously?
Joey
It's a free-for-all on these forums at the moment.

Judging a left-back's ability on how many assists he managed is like judging a striker on clean sheets. Yes, Jones was part of the team they managed the highest amount of clean sheets last season but he did struggle when up against a quick winger. It would be horribly unfair to judge CBB at this stage considering how little has played, give him time to show the fans how good he is.
51/84
yes we are because MY decided to go with 1 LB no competition which was supposed to be so important last season
Garbutt had no experience but could defend, not so with CBB
He was cheap MY took a gamble on 2 counts
1 that he would be good
2 he would stay fit

result of 1 is still wide open but now a big risk based on what we have seen
2 fail as we needed cover at LB

We dont have time we are more than a fifth of the way through the season and we are where we are
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:yes we are because MY decided to go with 1 LB no competition which was supposed to be so important last season
Garbutt had no experience but could defend, not so with CBB
He was cheap MY took a gamble on 2 counts
1 that he would be good
2 he would stay fit

result of 1 is still wide open but now a big risk based on what we have seen
2 fail as we needed cover at LB

We dont have time we are more than a fifth of the way through the season and we are where we are
I am not clear what solution or suggestion you are proposing.