Yates backers?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cheltsaxon
You say 'give him time' how much time do we give him?? Weve 'kickstarted' our season twice now yet its same old same old, i'm pretty sure were working with our second highest wage bill yet were terrible, tactics to keep cureton on bench, sign vincent bench him so strange. Were sinking and fast.
Hubert Parry
Our season hasn't started yet remember? It starts with our next win...
Malabus
100% behind Yates.
rasta
just debating with my mate if he will get sack after Rochdale game or not. how we have fallen :(
Nesty
rasta
Malabus wrote:100% behind Yates.

push harder
Hubert Parry
I don't want Yates sacked as he deserves more loyalty than that. However, if the season continues in the same form, then I would not be renewing his contract. Actually, unless the season improves dramatically, I wouldn't offer him a new contract - starting to think he is becoming stale in the role.
C.V
I have had a number of tweets from people who went today. The commentary we had today didnt reflect the performance we as usual were c!#p.I will say no more on my thoughts of the managment situation l think the league table speaks volumes.
Lonely goat-herd
They are very uncritical on Robins Player.
rasta
Sat in my local Delicatessen lunchtime, not seen a local chap I know for several weeks, only to be told all the rumours I have heard bar one, not good...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The one winger and three centre-mids tactic proving effective as usual I see.

Now where's my hammer, this square peg just won't go in the hole.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The one winger and three centre-mids tactic proving effective as usual I see.

Errmmm can I remind you of an utterly ridiculous thread you started last week......

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =2&t=14573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Circa 1887
I believe that Yates is no longer the best man for the job. If it were my choice, which obviously it isn't, I'd make the change sooner rather than later.
CS85
Far from happy with our form but i will say give him til the end of october.

I really cant see us picking up to many points though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The one winger and three centre-mids tactic proving effective as usual I see.

Errmmm can I remind you of an utterly ridiculous thread you started last week......

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =2&t=14573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Second person to do so in fact as Shade did so last week in this thread:

http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where you will read:
Shade wrote:Haven't you been mentioning knee-jerk reactions to changing the personnel of a losing team all week? And then you want to see 2 players brought in and 5 positional changes?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Positional changes, I meant Lowe to CB, Sido to right back, Richards to left back, Penn back to CM*, Zak onto the left wing - 5 positions those players didn't play last week, even if they are some of their best positions. But for what it's worth, I wouldn't be against that line up.

*I know he played there for the last quarter or so.
Thing is, I think bizarre decisions like playing Sido at left-back and Penn on right-wing is the type of panic-induced rash thinking we need to avoid. My calls for brave mindsets to stick with what we know and do well relies on playing players in a proper position and not trying to be new or different.

I need not add anything more.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 05 Oct 2013, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
London Exile
Give him more time, see if Yates can get us into the bottom 2 and points from safety!

Got to go
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Two things causing the current situation:

A paper thin squad with nowhere near enough strength in depth to challenge.

Odd team selections and unexplained player releasing (on top of the Duffy situation last season).

Whether the first is due to Yates is open to question - I do not know either wa.

The second is the responsibility of Yates and Yates only.
CS85
Surely the squad size is also? Hes got a decent enough budget,he should have assembled a decent enough squad.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:Surely the squad size is also? Hes got a decent enough budget,he should have assembled a decent enough squad.
Yes I agree in all essences, but as I do not know the budget available I cannot categorically have the opinion that he failed to build a decent squad.
CS85
In all honesty i was happy with our signings anyway,i think most the this message board were also.
But things just dont seem right.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:In all honesty i was happy with our signings anyway,i think most the this message board were also.
But things just dont seem right.
I never had an issue with the quality of our signings, just the quantity. If we had a full squad we'd have a left-back at left-back and a left-winger at left-wing.
RobinHood
Also worrying there seems to be a lack of fight and passion that was there over the last two seasons, opposition teams look sharper, aggressive and first to every second ball. Combine this with a leaky defence and if goes a long way to explaining our current situation.

If we're still in this position come Christmas I think Baker might pull the trigger, after all the work he's done getting the club on sound financial footing he won't risk relegation.

Saying that though I can't really see anyone who we could employ that would guarantee an improvement. Most managers out of work at this level are failures, there's no clear candidates like Yates was last time.
Oldun
Wait till Christmas? We cannot afford to wait that long. Many were urging "let's wait till we have played 10!" We have played 10 and look where we are!
As stated above, it's not just the results, but the way we are playing, the lack of passion and fight, the lack of improvement in the defence.......etc!
No I don't know who to suggest, but we should not carry on as we are. I fear the "Old Boys Network" has done its time
C.V
Thing is you get the rose tinters saying give him ten games we have done that next they will be saying give him till Xmas.Trouble is if we carry on like we are we will become so far behind every one else any new manager will face an all most impossible task.Personally next weeks game would decide his fate for me.We wont have to pay much compensation as he only has this season on his contract.
leohoenig
Good to see all of the Yates out bridgade are back. It has been a quiet week while you have all been on holiday.
C.V
leohoenig wrote:Good to see all of the Yates out bridgade are back. It has been a quiet week while you have all been on holiday.

So l take it your happy to carry on as we are then Leo
Benctfc
The worrying thing is i don't think Yates knows how to lift us out of this poor start he still has an unbalanced team which we can all see apart from him and as people are saying it just doesn't feel right the players are massively underachieving and that must fall with the manager. I think people are still frustrated that we failed to get promotion last year as it was there for the taking.

Today I didn't go as i knew we would lose. I've seen so many poor away performance this year and last to know that we just don't turn up and compete it was predictable and Yates needs to sort it out and at the moment he can't do it.

As Hurbert Parry has said in other threads has the management team become stale and do we need a change to freshen things up and bring in some new ideas. Imo you have to judge a manager on the present and what's happenning now not what hes done in the past.

The problem is if we wait to long the manager coming in will have to tough a job to turn things around in a short term so we have 2 options give Yates 3 more games then decide or let him see out the season and rebuild at the moment im thinking the first option hope he proves me wrong
taxidave
I am writing this from my hotel room but I wish I was sat at home and a hundred pound better off. We were poor today but better in the second half. It is no good having the majority of the play if you have the penetration of a lesbian.
rasta
taxidave wrote:I am writing this from my hotel room but I wish I was sat at home and a hundred pound better off. We were poor today but better in the second half. It is no good having the majority of the play if you have the penetration of a lesbian.
so what's needed is a strap on! :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The thing is this season for me personally is thinking 'what really matters'. Obviously promotion is great and I feel better when it happens. But it's clear to me we can't expect promotion now this season so what really matters is players trying and players like Byron, Troy and Zak developing and maturing. If Yates can do that and steer us to comfortable safety then let him have the whole season and don't renew his contract. Is having one season without a clear promotion challenge really so bad we should be baiting for a man to be sacked from his job so early in the season? To me it is not. I like having my home town team to support and all that brings and promotion is always a bonus. Now that the season is about our players and performances improving and just enjoying supporting my home town team I will lay of the Yates criticism as it's just getting worked up about something that doesn't matter in the long run. And if we improve enough to get promoted then that's a bonus.

The big thing we have to avoid is relegation as that could kill the club and it might not be there for me to support in the same way. In that light the only way I'd support the mid-season sacking of our manager is if it's clear relegation will happen if he stays. Like when Allner and Downing had to go. It is too early in the season to draw that conclusion in my opinion.
CS85
Byrons coming up to 27,if hes not mature now he never will be,in footballing terms hes supposed to be hitting his peak.
All promotion hopes should be put away now,its not going to happen,we're in a relegation fight.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:Byrons coming up to 27,if hes not mature now he never will be,in footballing terms hes supposed to be hitting his peak.
All promotion hopes should be put away now,its not going to happen,we're in a relegation fight.
He does not have much league experience so yes I would like to see him mature into peak form at this level. Too early to call a relegation fight in my view as a win or two will still see you rise up the table a fair bit.
leohoenig
My comment was to remind everyone how quiet it was on here last week, and how this forum is generally dominated by knockers wanting to find something wrong with the club. It appears that you could not wait for us to lose this weekend, so as you could re-boot the campaign.

Of course, there are things I would like to change. I would like to see us win more matches. I cannot see that removing Yates from the equation achieves this. Two out of the last three times* we have sacked the manager, we have ended the season with relegation. The other time was when Yates was the saviour. History shows that sacking the manager is a short term remedy only, and while it often creates a short term boost, the sacking teams soon resume their losing ways.

I now see some wishing to re-write history, suggesting we were not a shambles under Allen, or re-writing the last two seasons from successes when a team over performed to reach the play offs to suggest that it is all Yates' fault that we did not either win automatic promotion, or the play offs. Anything to have a dig at Yates. His transfer policy is not the most transparent, so the assumption always seems to be that he is acting against the interests of the club to rid us of our best players. He may get things wrong, but his heart is in the club and the job - so it is a conceit by the writer to suggest things that are not there, just to fill in the void in their own knowledge.

In every season, but specifically recent seasons, we have had good runs, bad runs and win-some, lose-some periods. Only when we are having a good run, and Scunthorpe are having a bad one, are we liable to get a result at Glanford Park. I am hoping events have meant we have moved out of the bad run, but we certainly have not moved into a good run yet. I expect to see us with at around 14 points when we go to Northampton in three weeks time. I naturally hope for 18, and fear for a lower return.

Our board is generally conventional, and convention says October is the sacking month. If we lose two of the next three, then I would actually be surprised if Yates was in charge at Northampton. No doubt ifhe goes, he will (after a period of caretaker-ship) be replaced by a journeyman manager who has no feeling for the club, and only sees this as a brief step in his career. There is more than a chance that we will soon come to regret the decision, (especially if the new boy has a high profile, such as Gould and Allen came in with).

* I am assuming that it is accepted that Allner, Downing and Allen were sacked, although my memory does not serve me well enough to remember the actual wording on the statements. Of the other league managers, Cotterill, Ward, and Gould all resigned with only one of those being due to poor results.
C.V
Long post Leo but it comes down to a simple thing really.You are only as good as your last result sadly its not only our last result its the poor results since the season started.I admire your loyalty to Yates but will you still be so keen when we are up the swanee with out an oar.
Peter Griffin
In fairness even us on a good run would probably have lost yesterday. The result is no disgrace and there were seemingly encouraging signs. Dagenham next and although they're unbeaten at home they're the sort of team we should be looking at beating and after that we've got quite a good run of fixtures to put a run together.