We are too good to go down

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Every season somewhere in the football league a team which is thought to be too good to go down gets relegated

Are we that team this season

Many on here would claim that we are too good to go down

So lets check it out
Scotty if he maintains his form is top 3 in the league

Defense
Lowe okay at RB but can get caught sleeping , unlikely to chip in with goals this season as the supplier has gone
Wilson loanee might improve if he stays
Brown has potential
Elliot sorry to say in the long term the only way is down
CBB poor poor poor he may be cheap but you get what you pay for
McGlashan has a bit of form
Penn lost hiss passion but good enough
Taylor does well in some situations
Noble loanee square balls average
Richards failed to impress
Sammy has tried hard but not good enough
Zak cannot expect a 18yr to win the league
AV has he done 90 minutes in total waste of money
Gornell work horse
Harrison finding his feet and his head
Cureton 39 cannot expect a 38yr to win the league

The question I know start asking myself is are there worse teams than us in the league
Are there clubs with financial worries
We over achieved 2 seasons ago
about right last season
back to normal this season

The main problem is that Yates Baker this board and the fans have built up the expectations and we are failing
42 points are required from 36 games
I just hope we are good enough to manage that
Get over it we will not be top 3 . be lucky to be in top 10

Are we too good to go down?
Oldun
The way we are playing at present suggests we are not good enough to stay up. We probably have enough ability on paper, but the whole is not producing. (Same as last season and the one before regarding straight promotion I suspect!)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oldun wrote:The way we are playing at present suggests we are not good enough to stay up. We probably have enough ability on paper, but the whole is not producing. (Same as last season and the one before regarding straight promotion I suspect!)
The way we have played so far has us above the relegation line so far. I'd therefore suggest the way we have been playing relative to the teams below us is well enough to stay up.
mattyboi
Think we need abit of a shake up, i cant see that Vincent and Deering have a future here. We always seem to be heavy on Central midfielders, this works if we play 5 in the middle, but then when we want to go 4-4-2 we dont have the right players for it to work.
Peter Griffin
Worst case scenario we'll finish mid table.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Peter Griffin wrote:Worst case scenario we'll finish mid table.
I think it's the realisation that we are looking like a mid-table team that has got people worked up.
solihullkev
Of the games I have seen (missed the first two - Burton home and Chesterfield away) the only teams I felt outplayed us were Bury and Plymouth. Portsmouth, Oxford, Wimbledon, Scunthorpe, each of whom were above us, were more than matched - I accept that we lost yesterday, but we were not second best in terms of performance.

We have been let down by some mad passages of play (Plymouth and Bury notably) coupled with some defensive howlers. Last two games we have looked more solid at the back and actually there is a lot to look forward to particularly a fit forward trio of Harrison, Gornell and Cureton - not necessarily playing together, but perming them. I have been really impressed with Harrison in his last two games, Gornell is effective and Cureton will score goals (he will know he should have scored yesterday, but his running off Harrison who was immense in the air was good to see). McGlashan is as quick a player in the league as anyone - let me know if there is a quicker player in league two ; more consistency needed I accept, but he had Scunny worried yesterday. Midfield is perhaps in need of re-thinking, for example Penn needs to be in the middle for my money to be effective.

Crucially though, there is absolutely no prospect of us being relegated and talk of that is both fanciful and wrong. Accrington are toast(and I think that Accrington was probably out worst performance of the season which sounds perverse, but Accrington are woeful) with one more to go down. I think play offs still realistic if we continue with upward improvement and eliminate / reduce careless mistakes.

Keep the faith - we don't need much to change, perhaps just luck, to go on a charge. We're a million to be relegated.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:Of the games I have seen (missed the first two - Burton home and Chesterfield away) the only teams I felt outplayed us were Bury and Plymouth. Portsmouth, Oxford, Wimbledon, Scunthorpe, each of whom were above us, were more than matched - I accept that we lost yesterday, but we were not second best in terms of performance.

We have been let down by some mad passages of play (Plymouth and Bury notably) coupled with some defensive howlers. Last two games we have looked more solid at the back and actually there is a lot to look forward to particularly a fit forward trio of Harrison, Gornell and Cureton - not necessarily playing together, but perming them. I have been really impressed with Harrison in his last two games, Gornell is effective and Cureton will score goals (he will know he should have scored yesterday, but his running off Harrison who was immense in the air was good to see). McGlashan is as quick a player in the league as anyone - let me know if there is a quicker player in league two ; more consistency needed I accept, but he had Scunny worried yesterday. Midfield is perhaps in need of re-thinking, for example Penn needs to be in the middle for my money to be effective.

Crucially though, there is absolutely no prospect of us being relegated and talk of that is both fanciful and wrong. Accrington are toast(and I think that Accrington was probably out worst performance of the season which sounds perverse, but Accrington are woeful) with one more to go down. I think play offs still realistic if we continue with upward improvement and eliminate / reduce careless mistakes.

Keep the faith - we don't need much to change, perhaps just luck, to go on a charge. We're a million to be relegated.
Seems like all the most sensible posters wait til Sunday to comment. Spot on in my view Kev.
trickster
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
solihullkev wrote:Of the games I have seen (missed the first two - Burton home and Chesterfield away) the only teams I felt outplayed us were Bury and Plymouth. Portsmouth, Oxford, Wimbledon, Scunthorpe, each of whom were above us, were more than matched - I accept that we lost yesterday, but we were not second best in terms of performance.

Seems like all the most sensible posters wait til Sunday to comment. Spot on in my view Kev.
I was with you until you mentioned play-offs, it’s starting to bug me now let’s get our heads above water before we start talking about promotion, every time I look at the fixture list it looks difficult, take our next 3 games, away to Daggers can’t see us getting much out of that they’ve got off to a good start, home to Rochdale won their last 4 haven’t been beaten in their last 6 another tough game, home to Morecambe they’ve just beaten Chesterfield and haven’t been beaten in their last 7 league 2 games, our result against Wimbledon was fantastic and we now need that kind of effort but we will need to improve greatly to take any points at all from the games I’ve mentioned, I’m not a pessimist I’m a realist I don’t read the stars I look at the form book and it says needs to show great improvement to win.

I’ve said these things to balance the books yes we are a couple of wins away from mid-table, we are also a couple of losses away from the bottom 2.
solihullkev
Trickster - don't want to sound an arse, but Rochdale got beat 3-0 at Pompey yesterday ; I don't say that to prove you wrong, but to prove a point that I don't think the table or indeed form of teams has really settled down. I fully expect Chesterfield and Fleetwood to be a notch above the pack, but after that I think there are 21 teams who can probably beat each other and we are one of them. I was concerned when we played Oxford, but we more than held our own. D&R home record has been impressive, but they have played York, Newport, Bristol R, Exeter and Bury at home.

There is a run of games from late Oct to early Dec that should define our season :

Northampton (a)
York (h)
Wycombe (a)
Newport (h)
Bristol Rovers (h)
Southend (a)
Hartlepool (h)

I think the play offs are realistic, but it will require upward progress to continue and probably being in mid table by early December.

Kev
trickster
So I got one score wrong after a 10 second glance at the table big deal, it doesn’t alter the fact they are in 8th place for a reason with some good results, I also think like someone else on this board you are very disrespectful to other clubs, You belittle D&R achievements by listing teams they have beat how conceited, I will remind you all those teams are above us, oh I forgot we are much better than them, like another poster on here says “wake up and smell the coffee”.
solihullkev
Trickster, the table doesn't lie ; but it can deceive.
trickster
solihullkev wrote:Trickster, the table doesn't lie ; but it can deceive.
Disagree you are where you are.
solihullkev
Of course, that is why I say the table doesn't lie. It can deceive though - at it simplest, are Man Utd worse than Southampton and Hull City ? Plainly they are not and I know we can all agree that ; to that extent a table can be deceptive.
Nesty

I hope you are right
trickster
solihullkev wrote:Of course, that is why I say the table doesn't lie. It can deceive though - at it simplest, are Man Utd worse than Southampton and Hull City ? Plainly they are not and I know we can all agree that ; to that extent a table can be deceptive.
I hope you are not suggesting we are the Man U of league 2, we haven’t got the history or the right to expect to beat or be above anyone in league 2.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No he was just saying the table can be deceptive after so few games.
trickster
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:No he was just saying the table can be deceptive after so few games.
My answer to that is I’m only interested in CTFC they are the team I’ve been talking about, so what are we saying that we don’t deserve to be where we are, have we been incredibly unlucky or something, I fail to see the point, we are near the bottom because we’ve been Shite there is nothing deceptive about that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The point is that if one team plays tough teams early in the season and one team plays easier teams then the one who plays easier teams may currently be higher in the table even if they are not as good, but after both teams have played every one the league table will better reflect the quality. We could lose three in a row to the best three teams and would not mean we're rubbish and going to go down. Following that we could then win three in a row against the worst three teams and it does not mean we are amazing and going to go up. The table does not sort itself out and you can't judge the pecking order properly until everyone has played everyone once, which is months away yet. Until that point the table can be deceptive.
RED ROB
Richards was a good signing but he's now covering at left back, Deering is anything but a winger but that's where he's been playing.
Vincent says he's not a winger and wants to play down the middle, Penn played wide, we have got a reasonable squad as long as they are in their rightful positions.
The two fullbacks aren't good enough.
CheltRobin
No team is ever too good to go down - it even happened to Man U, Man C, Liverpool + Chelsea (although I admit very unlikely to happen again). Personally, I don't think that Chelt will go down, but if results don't pick up much between now and say the 20th match, then I'm afraid I can't see us making either auto promotion or the play-offs this season - it coukld end up a real dog's dinner of a season, which would be such a shame after the progress over the last 2 seasons from the MA era.
trickster
solihullkev wrote:Trickster - don't want to sound an arse, but Rochdale got beat 3-0 at Pompey yesterday ; I don't say that to prove you wrong, but to prove a point that I don't think the table or indeed form of teams has really settled down. I fully expect Chesterfield and Fleetwood to be a notch above the pack, but after that I think there are 21 teams who can probably beat each other and we are one of them. I was concerned when we played Oxford, but we more than held our own. D&R home record has been impressive, but they have played York, Newport, Bristol R, Exeter and Bury at home.

There is a run of games from late Oct to early Dec that should define our season :

Northampton (a)
York (h)
Wycombe (a)

Newport (h)
Bristol Rovers (h)
Southend (a)
Hartlepool (h)

I think the play offs are realistic, but it will require upward progress to continue and probably being in mid table by early December.

Kev
You didn't prove me wrong you proved yourself wrong.
solihullkev
Missed your reply Trickster last week after Dagenham and Redbridge - please re-post.