My best team and formation

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Not MYs but my best team and formation

I think there are areas of the park where we dont have the players I want so will put a * beside and explain why
4-1-3-2
Brown
Sido (rb) Brown Wilson Richards* ( Richards because hes better than CBB)
Taylor* ( fitting him in in away matches more than at home)
McGlashan Noble Penn
Gornell Harrison

Cureton on with 25 minutes left

If we had a decent LB then I would go 3 in mid field Penn Noble Richards with Gornell in the hole and Cureton and Harrison and McGlashan coming on in the second half

I have said it before we do not have players to play a flat 4 in midfield
Robin
Cureton has to start for me but it's harsh on Byron who has done well.
RTT
Robin wrote:Cureton has to start for me but it's harsh on Byron who has done well.
Why not Gornell?

Why do people think that Cureton is the messiah. If it was Harrison who missed the chances the Cureton did on Saturday you would of been tearing him apart, but not Jamie. To lay on one the chances for Jamie, Bryon did some delft footwork with two or three defenders around him, it was extremely good and now you want to bench him.
Robin
Because Harrison is the weakest of the three forwards, it doesn't mean he is c!#p because I do like him and believe he has a role to play.
thetonga
Brown

Jombati
Brown
Elliott
CBB

McGlashan
Noble
Penn
Vincent

Gornell
Cureton
horlickfanclub
i agree with the above. no wrongholed pegs!!!
RTT
Robin wrote:Because Harrison is the weakest of the three forwards, it doesn't mean he is c!#p because I do like him and believe he has a role to play.
So that is why Gornell gets substituted and not Harrison and also Harrison is our top scorer at present.
Robin
In my view that is more to do with Terry running himself into the ground every game.
51/84
my thinking on harrison is that he is now coming into a bit of form , Gornell does the graft for 65 and Cureton kills the game off as at the top
Tongas left side is completely useless
CBB coming back from injury, not lge 2 defensively poor final ball but he is a left back
AV left wing who thinks hes a striker but not done anything yet
thetonga
As completely useless as it may be it's the only two left sided players we have playing in their natural positions. I know Kotwica is left sided before you say but he needs to be blooded slowly.

Also on the point of the left side being completely useless, I'm just wondering how you've come to that conclusion? Are you at the training ground taking the sessions? In my opinion, Vincent is an above average League Two left winger as was shown by him winning a player of the month last season and being in a team that got promoted. You can say that he is not showing it on the training ground but I assume it's typical Yates stubbornness as was seen with Harrad and Duffy last season. No doubt if we had a big game Vincent would play in the same way Goulding did at Wembley and Duffy did against Northampton. There is no way you can form a judgement on Vincent on what you've seen of him this year as he has hardly been seen. Give him 10 full games in the side before labelling him useless.

As for the left back, CBB is the only left back in the squad. Jombati is wasted there and Richards is a mediocre midfielder. Again the lad has played 6 games and he's labelled useless. He's never played in the league before but in the games I saw him play (Burton, Crawley, Plymouth, Accrington, West Ham), he didn't look that bad and I reckon he will grow into it and gain confidence. He's no worse a defender than Richards and at least he has some pace and to deal with Elito or Hines at the weekend, that is one attribute that is definitely needed.
Andy
Not necessarily a best - but worth a try:

Brown

Lowe Brown Wilson

McGlashan Penn Noble Richards

Byron Gornell

Cureton
51/84
Actually tonga I have seen AV at season in a couple of reserve matches and he certainly was not knocking on the managers door to get a starting slot
Last season he played for PV until about March when he was dropped ( frozen out). He claims he wants to play through the middle.
When he arrived the were some strange comments about him needing to be here etc
Perhaps he was cheap!
As to CBB hes been around FL teams for a number of years and never made it
He is impeteus, hes fast going forward but not as fast getting back
His crossing is no where near the standard of Jones
Its just punt it into a general area
His marking is poor but his pace does help him out.
There must be a reason he didnt make his league debut at one of the league clubs he was at
I was lead to believe that he was substantially cheaper than brick wall casualty Jones

I am afraid that CBB will have to improve dramatically if he is to a successful FL left back
RTT
Andy wrote:Not necessarily a best - but worth a try:

Brown

Lowe Brown Wilson

Byron Gornell

Cureton
Andy, Wilson is not available as he has been called up by Wales.
CS85
Brown

Sido
Brown
Elliott
Cbb

Mcglashan
Noble
Taylor
Penn
Kotwica

Cureton

Dont care of curetons age,or 451 being negative,theres still enough creativity in there to create,we are losing to many games we need to start grinding out results before its to late so thats my team.
Andy
RTT wrote:
Andy wrote:Not necessarily a best - but worth a try:

Brown

Lowe Brown Wilson

Byron Gornell

Cureton
Andy, Wilson is not available as he has been called up by Wales.
I know that - I didnt think this thread was formation/team for the next game - just my best team and formation? I would have given this a try.
thetonga
51/84 wrote:Actually tonga I have seen AV at season in a couple of reserve matches and he certainly was not knocking on the managers door to get a starting slot
Last season he played for PV until about March when he was dropped ( frozen out). He claims he wants to play through the middle.
Perhaps he was cheap!
There must be a reason he didnt make his league debut at one of the league clubs he was at
I was lead to believe that he was substantially cheaper than brick wall casualty Jones

I am afraid that CBB will have to improve dramatically if he is to a successful FL left back
Reserve games are hardly played at the intensity or tempo of league games. If I was in Vincent's boots I think I'd struggle to really get up for a reserve game. Also I think you need to check your facts about him not playing from March onwards, he actually picked up and injury that kept him out the team until the last game of the season and wasn't frozen out. Also Vincent said in his first interview after signing with Jon Palmer that he'd "play anywhere for the team" so I think either you haven't heard him claim where he wants to play or you're trying to engineer an explanation for him not playing.

Secondly with CBB he has actually only been with league club prior to us which was Peterborough (2008-2009) so again I'm unsure where some of your arguments come from as he has hardly been at a plethora of league clubs who have passed him on. I have yet to see a fantastic delivery from Richards from left back and I would like to put the idea forward that we should rely on our midfielders for assists instead of defenders...maybe even Vincent could do that!!
tom c
CS85 wrote:Brown

Sido
Brown
Elliott
Cbb

Mcglashan
Noble
Taylor
Penn
Kotwica

Cureton

Dont care of curetons age,or 451 being negative,theres still enough creativity in there to create,we are losing to many games we need to start grinding out results before its to late so thats my team.
Haha is this a joke! So youre going to leave gornell out possibly the one player who tries his all each game and doesnt give up. Playing kotwica is a mistake he should be going out on loan somewhere as vincent and deering are much better players and deering should be playing more like yates said he would as i think we miss his creativity. Also richards is a much better player than cbb even in defence and taylor especially at home adds nothing to the team whatsover!
little mo
Robin wrote:Cureton has to start for me but it's harsh on Byron who has done well.
Byron played well on Saturday. Think he will be more than a little pissed off if he gets left out.
Jebolani

Sido
Brown
Elliott
Cbb

Mcglashan
Noble
Taylor
Penn
Kotwica

Cureton

Surely you don't think that Cureton can play up front on his own?... And no Richards, arguably our most talented midfielder? Byron has been our best player this season, but sure; let's drop him. Great idea...
RTT
Andy wrote: I know that - I didnt think this thread was formation/team for the next game - just my best team and formation? I would have given this a try.
You are right I apologise, however, in my defence, Wilson's initial loan spell is also up this weekend so he might not be returning.
CS85
Kotwica is a winger,deering is not.
Cureton played upfront on his own for exeter.
Richards and harrison have been playing all season yet we are third bottom.

Clueless.
51/84
thetonga wrote:
51/84 wrote:Actually tonga I have seen AV at season in a couple of reserve matches and he certainly was not knocking on the managers door to get a starting slot
Perhaps he was cheap!

Reserve games are hardly played at the intensity or tempo of league games. If I was in Vincent's boots I think I'd struggle to really get up for a reserve game. Also I think you need to check your facts about him not playing from March onwards, he actually picked up and injury that kept him out the team until the last game of the season and wasn't frozen out. Also Vincent said in his first interview after signing with Jon Palmer that he'd "play anywhere for the team" so I think either you haven't heard him claim where he wants to play or you're trying to engineer an explanation for him not playing.

Secondly with CBB he has actually only been with league club prior to us which was Peterborough (2008-2009) so again I'm unsure where some of your arguments come from as he has hardly been at a plethora of league clubs who have passed him on. I have yet to see a fantastic delivery from Richards from left back and I would like to put the idea forward that we should rely on our midfielders for assists instead of defenders...maybe even Vincent could do that!!
So what did CBB do at Charlton then sell pies

If you dont turn it on in training and friendlies then you are not going to be given the oportunity on a Saturday.
You have nailed it Richards is poor but is a better LB than CBB - I rest my case
thetonga
I fail to understand your logic but it is a subjective matter. Personally I'd rather see a left back at left back. Then again you suggest playing with one winger and 3 central midfield players so perhaps you we just differ on how we assess how that has worked thus far.
thetonga
Or maybe you're Mark Yates!
I-Love-CTFC
Jebolani wrote:

Sido
Brown
Elliott
Cbb

Mcglashan
Noble
Taylor
Penn
Kotwica

Cureton

Surely you don't think that Cureton can play up front on his own?... And no Richards, arguably our most talented midfielder? Byron has been our best player this season, but sure; let's drop him. Great idea...
Clueless. Cureton is more than capable of playing up front on his own, he's done it many times during his career. I don't think Richards has done anything special.
RubyWolf
Brown
Sido Lowe brown Elliott CBB
Taylor
Byron penn gornell
Curo

Away from home anyone?
Circa 1887
GK Brown
CB Wilson CB Brown CB Lowe
RWB McGlashan LWB Richards/Sido
CM Taylor/Richards CM Noble CM Penn
ST Cuerton ST Harrison/Gornell
Jebolani
Yes, yes. Of course. I'm the clueless one yes. Yes, clueless me for not wanting to drop 2 of our best players to make way for Cureton. Yes, yes how obviously clueless of me. Yes.
51/84
Calm down Jeb this is the nest so defies logic
Jebolani
Cureton shouldn't be given an automatic place in the team when Byron and (to a lesser extent (but not by much)) Gornell are playing as well as they are.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
thetonga wrote:As completely useless as it may be it's the only two left sided players we have playing in their natural positions. I know Kotwica is left sided before you say but he needs to be blooded slowly.

Also on the point of the left side being completely useless, I'm just wondering how you've come to that conclusion? Are you at the training ground taking the sessions? In my opinion, Vincent is an above average League Two left winger as was shown by him winning a player of the month last season and being in a team that got promoted. You can say that he is not showing it on the training ground but I assume it's typical Yates stubbornness as was seen with Harrad and Duffy last season. No doubt if we had a big game Vincent would play in the same way Goulding did at Wembley and Duffy did against Northampton. There is no way you can form a judgement on Vincent on what you've seen of him this year as he has hardly been seen. Give him 10 full games in the side before labelling him useless.

As for the left back, CBB is the only left back in the squad. Jombati is wasted there and Richards is a mediocre midfielder. Again the lad has played 6 games and he's labelled useless. He's never played in the league before but in the games I saw him play (Burton, Crawley, Plymouth, Accrington, West Ham), he didn't look that bad and I reckon he will grow into it and gain confidence. He's no worse a defender than Richards and at least he has some pace and to deal with Elito or Hines at the weekend, that is one attribute that is definitely needed.
YES.
I-Love-CTFC
The players are off to St George's Park tomorrow to watch England's training session apparently. Steve Elliott wrote on Facebook: So the 6am start tomorrow to St George's Park to Observe the England training session hope its worth it Woy!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only two formations for me. And due to squad size most of the positions pick themselves - only up front is the tough decision to be made, as shown by the goals for column compared to the goals against.

Brown

Sido
Brown
Elliot (any more mistakes and Keith comes in)
CBB

McG
Penn
Noble
Vincent

Byron
Cureton

OR

Brown

Sido
Brown
Elliot (same ultimatum)
CBB

Noble
Penn
Richards

Byron
Cureton
Gornell
51/84
CBB is not match fit and why should AV get a start - just because he hasnt so far
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:CBB is not match fit and why should AV get a start - just because he hasnt so far
Because I prefer a left winger on left wing. Always will have and always will.

I remember being furious watching the likes of Scholes, Gerrard and Heskey and goodness knows what central players being pushed out wide left for England when proper wingers like Guppy and Froggart were having terrific seasons storming up and down the line, only ever stepping off the white paint to come inside and smash home a peach of a strike.

That opinion will never change. If you only got one senior experienced wide left player at a club, then he plays wide left and balls to what the fans behind the net think of it. Anything else is square-peg-tinker-man-unbalanced-desperation-etc.