The clock is ticking

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

C.V
As always an excellant read and spot on Mark sums it up the club have to act sooner rather than let it get out of control

http://cheltenhamtownchatter.blogspot.c ... l?spref=tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Great piece. Certainly is "crunch time".
Nesty
it must be bad when someone like MH says stuff like that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Out of control?
maroochydazza
Maybe someday soon we will learn some of the rationale as to why Duffy/Harrad/Bennett/Jones et al have all been frozen out over the past 12 months?
Robin
Another excellent blog from Mark the only piece I disagree with is the comparison with Stockport who were besieged with off the field problems.
Lonely goat-herd
I'm in agreement with the piece. It feels to me like MY has lost his way. He's always been a bit prone to indecision and unsatisfactory team and formation selection, but has got away with it in the past. I think this time he's been found out.
leohoenig
I read the comments on here while the slow works internet downloaded Mark's article. Somehow Mark appears far more reasonable than some of the comments on here. As I have already suggested, we need to go to Northampton with around 13 or 14 points (minimum - I prefer 18), on the board - anf failure to do so is likely to install a measure of panic within the board. Tradition states that a club in our position sacks the manager, and our board is traditionalist.

Statistics suggest that sacking the manager makes little difference long term, but the board will want to be seen as taking action, and the only action quickly within their grasp is a change. A new manager comes with costs - both paying off the sacked man/men and the requests for budget increases to change the squad.

A though - we play Dagenham on Saturday. I am not sure I have ever seen a club (in the League) play as poorly as Dagenham did when they lost 5-0 at home to us. I was convinced they were going down. They did not change manager, they lost only once in their final ten games of the season. they finished 19th.
Robin
I feel that is the question Leo, are we better of sticking or busting and now there appears to be few still backing Yates, even Cinderford Robin has gone extremely quiet.
hEaLeR
How about throwing this into the mix......

The players need to take a very large proportion of the blame for several of the performances this season. The manager isn't telling them to fail to mark, make poor errors of judgement or generally lack any sort of form.

Am I happy with the season so far - No

Do we need a change of manager right this minute - No, not in my opinion

I don't expect us to be languishing down the bottom of the table and if the bad run continues I think the board would have to look to act but I still think we are some way off that at the moment.
C.V
hEaLeR wrote:How about throwing this into the mix......

The players need to take a very large proportion of the blame for several of the performances this season. The manager isn't telling them to fail to mark, make poor errors of judgement or generally lack any sort of form.

Question then is why is this happening is it poor coaching, are they not as good as we believe they are,Do we send people out prior to our games to suss out the oposition? or is there other problems we are not privvy to.
hEaLeR
C.V wrote:

Question then is why is this happening is it poor coaching, are they not as good as we believe they are,Do we send people out prior to our games to suss out the oposition? or is there other problems we are not privvy to.
I was hoping the addition of Kevan would give us some fresh impetus but that's not been the case. I don't believe we have any off field issues and just need to focus on the basics and getting 100% out of everyone for every game. Too many individuals mistakes.
trickster
hEaLeR wrote:
C.V wrote:

I was hoping the addition of Kevan would give us some fresh impetus but that's not been the case. I don't believe we have any off field issues and just need to focus on the basics and getting 100% out of everyone for every game. Too many individuals mistakes.
I'm not sure that's correct.
hEaLeR
trickster wrote:
hEaLeR wrote: I was hoping the addition of Kevan would give us some fresh impetus but that's not been the case. I don't believe we have any off field issues and just need to focus on the basics and getting 100% out of everyone for every game. Too many individuals mistakes.
I'm not sure that's correct.
Please let us all know what these might be then. I've been to the training ground a few times this season and not seen or heard anything to suggest we have off field issues (that would effect the players). I think the management have also said the same thing in various interviews with JP.
ctfcshire
hEaLeR wrote: Please let us all know what these might be then. I've been to the training ground a few times this season and not seen or heard anything to suggest we have off field issues (that would effect the players). I think the management have also said the same thing in various interviews with JP.
If there were off-field problems would the management make it public??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only sack if relegation beckons. Far too early to judge that.
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Only sack if relegation beckons. Far too early to judge that.
So if after this weekend we lose and Northampton have won and we move down into that relegation spot then is that relegation beckoning and time?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
The way we have played so far has us above the relegation line so far. I'd therefore suggest the way we have been playing relative to the teams below us is well enough to stay up.
From this in a previous thread I assume the reverse applies if we end up in the bottom two then would it not read:
The way we have played so far has us in a relegation spot. I'd therefore suggest the way we have been playing relative to the teams above us is bad enough to be relegated.
Is that then not time up?
Circa 1887
I really don't get this wait and see approach. What are we waiting for? To see if things get any worse, or we remain balancing just above the relegation zone? Surely nobody thinks that we are going to lead a charge back up the table and towards the playoff zone?

I'd make the change now, while there is still time to salvage something from this season. A bottom half finish, or even mid-table obscurity, is not an acceptable return on the backing the board has given Yates.
RTT
Circa 1887 wrote:I really don't get this wait and see approach. What are we waiting for?
Because it is not yours or mine or anybody else's decision to make except the board of Cheltenham Town FC.
Robin
The play offs are more than achieveable with the players available, it's whether Yates is the man to do it.
Circa 1887
RTT wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:I really don't get this wait and see approach. What are we waiting for?
Because it is not yours or mine or anybody else's decision to make except the board of Cheltenham Town FC.
I meant the approach being taken by some fans, not the board.
Robin
RTT wrote:
Disagree once all the fans make it known they have had enough Yates will be gone.
Circa 1887
Robin wrote:The play offs are more than achieveable with the players available, it's whether Yates is the man to do it.
I agree and i'd argue that no he isn't. Despite reaching the playoffs in the previous two seasons, for me it masked a degree of under achievment, particularly the year that we lost to Crewe.
C.V
RTT wrote:

What they have to take on board if we keep turning dross performances and poor results the gates will fall.We cant afford to see even more fans turn there backs on the club.In the Allan farce fans stopped coming and haven't bothered since.If the board want this club to continue to struggle and go along with whats being churned up l hope they dont start questioning why people aren't attending the games.It's clear things aren't working as they should so how far are they going to allow it to deteriorate before they face it head on.
Robin
I already know a lot who have given up going C.V.
Circa 1887
Robin wrote:I already know a lot who have given up going C.V.
Me too...this season alone I know of 3 people who stopped specifically after the £23 'Premium' Plymouth game, in which we were utter rubbish.
C.V
Circa 1887 wrote:
Me too...this season alone I know of 3 people who stopped specifically after the £23 'Premium' Plymouth game, in which we were utter rubbish.

Exactley we have Newport and Bristol Rovers coming up on the 23rd and 26th of November if the club has these down as premium games that would be harsh on the fans.
Robin
Exactly it was after the Plymouth game that people I know finally gave up although a lot started to lose faith in Yates last season and have said they will only return once he has gone - these are long standing fans and posters on here too.
Nesty
Circa 1887 wrote:
The Plymouth game was it for me for a few games. I came to the AF Franchise game, and still going to decide on a match by match basis rather than blindly going week in week out come rain shine, hell or high water like I have done for 60 years. I find the current style of play tedious, the standard of officials insult my intelligence and sense of fair play. Even on pensioners prices it is far too expensive to justify on a limited budget.

It may cost the board to sack Yates, how much will it cost the club if they don't?

The only frightening thing is the lack of any obvious candidates on the out of work list, but there may be some young ambitious non-league managers ready to throw their hats in the ring, or an experienced pro ready to take their first step in management.
Circa 1887
Can't argue with any of that, Nesty.
51/84
C.V wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:

Exactley we have Newport and Bristol Rovers coming up on the 23rd and 26th of November if the club has these down as premium games that would be harsh on the fans.
I am surprised there is anyone left at WR as every time people are unhappy the will go and not comeback
Supporters the clue is in the name
Robin
WE have lost around a third of our fan base in recent years.
Circa 1887
It's not just being 'unhappy'...it's paying £23 to watch absolute rubbish. If we'd lost but played well - whilst also showing general signs of progress in the league, then there would be no issue.

Loyalty isn't about the average fan paying whatever the club asks, regardless of the quality of football on display. At least, that's my view.

These are people who I know follow the games at home instead, because they still care about the club....but it grates on them in principle let the club off the hook by continuing to pay a premium to watch poor football.
Taz1985
C.V wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:

I believe they are Premium Games
Circa 1887
Thanks Taz. That's 3 guarenteed empty seats for those games, then.