If Yates Goes Who Would Replace Him???

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Campden Robin
With many people on this forum calling for MY to be sacked just wondered who you would want to replace him?

I don't want him sacked but have become extremely frustrated by yesterdays formation, pissing off Daryl Duffy, Alan Bennett, Shaun Harrad and Mo. Also he seems to have a very limited network of attracting players to this club.

Could we possibly see Steve Cotterill return until the end of the season??? Is this a recipe for disaster - at least I would enjoy listening to his passionate honest interviews.
IYWT
Unfortunately Cotteril is not a charity worker, and as much as we would all love to see him return, if there is no benefit of doing it for his career then it won't happen.
C.V
Don't worry there is far better out there lets wait and see who throws there hat in the ring.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I have no idea who is out of work, nor which of those and managers employed at other clubs will apply.

It's up to The Board of Directors to to select the best of those who apply for the job.
Robin
What is Paul Trollope doing now? Steve Burr must be a leading candidate too.
leohoenig
It is probably that SC has been approached already and has turned us down.

There are of course a large number of out of work managers on the LMA site - but when you read through them, there are few that we would want here. Even fewer that both fit our bill, and would come here.

Any manager who has had success in the past would not be too certain about coming here - failure at Cheltenham is liable to lead to the end of your management career. Allen is the only manager to have failed here and gone on elsewhere. Of course, Yates' record over the full period of his employment here is still a statistical success, and with two play off appearances for his team, there is every chance this is not his last employment as a League manager.

The sort of manager most likely to get a post at Cheltenham would be someone like Martin Ling, who has (just) won more matches than he lost at each of his three clubs. I cannot say his CV leaps out and says "employ me", but he had success at Orient, took Torquay to a play off semi (which we won). Cambridge were basket cases when he was there, but he still lost less than he won.

SC is reported to have recently commented that most clubs have decided their new manager before sacking the old one. I think our board should be scouting around for Yates' replacement at the moment. Most of our directors are active (that is they come to games) and they see the game with the same eyes as the average supporter. They will not be happy with what they have seen this season. I can see no reason at all why there should be any contract talks with Yates, and if the situation does not become critical then he should simply see out the season and then leave.

But what defines "situation critical". There are some on here who have been calling for his head all season, (and also some who do not believe he should have started the season, although they refused to put it in those terms). Well, so far this season we are even - 12 points from 12 games, although we have the worst defence in the league (24 goals conceded) and the second worse goal difference after Accrington. Even points after 46 games is normally not enough to escape relegation. It is certainly not good enough to avoid desperation at the end. When deciding what to do next, the directors will look at the results, and the crowd figures. They tend to be conventional in approach, and hence not likely to permit too much failure before dropping the axe.

Crowd wise, it should be accepted that Morecambe will be a disaster - Champions League on TV, the last result and the league position are both poor, not many away fans and quite likely poor weather. I am not leaving the Manchester office for this one.

On the pitch, what happens is vital. Yates' record says we will make three or four changes. I would say we should expect Elliott back, with one of the full backs dropped. We always make changes in midfield, and we probably drop the diamond formation. It does not seem to matter whether we switch to 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. This will probably have some effect and I expect some return on Tuesday, after which we pick the same XI at Northampton and lose by about 3-1. At the moment, Yates does not have the confidence to keep a losing team on the pitch for the next game, or the nous to change a winning side.

If I was in charge, I would make only one change and keep the formation, the one change is Gornell for Harrison. Yesterday, while not exactly being a great team, we were looking at the draw or even the sneaky (and undeserved) 1-0 win with the diamond formation, and only lost it when we changed formation. Until they made substitutions, Rochdale's offering was a number of well off-target shots. Their changes allowed them to run more at our full backs, and they missed the best chance of the game between their two goals. It is quite difficult to imagine our players in a conventional 4-4-2, and when we try it we lack the covering midfield, so we are more susceptible to the direct attack. If the club has a left winger in the squad, then he must be staying off the field, as if Harrison on the left if the right answer, it has to be the wrong question. A side can be asymmetrical (winger on one side only), but the players need to know exactly what their duties are especially as we have a left back who is liable to scurry down the wing and lose the ball in an advanced position. The diamond midfield encourages the full backs to push forward, as we have three players who can cover back.

Sorry about the rambling post, and running off topic - but just because I have more than one thing to say, I only wanted to make one post.

The answers to the original questions were
1) There is no stand out candidate who would take the job
2) Crisis point is when we lose three in a row.
London Exile
Robin wrote:What is Paul Trollope doing now? Steve Burr must be a leading candidate too.
I think Trollope is assisting Houghton at Norwich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leo, any Skrill Premier or Park managers who have a promising future and may have ambitions to apply for a league club and would be good to recruit?
Ralph
C.V wrote:Don't worry there is far better out there lets wait and see who throws there hat in the ring.

If thats the case, why are they out of work and why would they come to a club with not much money or support near the bottom of L2?
Nesty
Excellent well thought out and presented post - I agree totally Leo, apart from some not wanting him to start the season, that would have been churlish after the two successive playoff finishes. However I think some of us could see cracks appearing like not playing Duffy most of the season then bringing him in for the playoff semi, the way (as has been said) Bennett & Harrad were treated and his constant tinkering with personnel and formations. He has started this season in the same vein, but also unlike previous seasons acquired a few players not up to it.
It is clear we need two full backs and a centre half and a wide left sided player.
I do not want Yates sacked because I do not like him. I believe he is leading us nowhere and I doubt his ability to turn this thing round, we are just like the Titanic heading for the iceberg.
Taz1985
Hope Powell anyone?
Nesty
Dicky Dosh.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
Taz1985 wrote:Hope Powell anyone?
worth a look but would she get the respect of male players (player power etc).. i'd actually see if Cureton wanted it. As i said before re Robbo and SC
stevestar
Give david moyes a try , he will be out of work soon .
Robin
stevestar wrote:Give david moyes a try , he will be out of work soon .
If Man Ure sack Moyes the world has gone mad, he has an impossible job and needs at least a full season.
C.V
Ralph wrote:
C.V wrote:Don't worry there is far better out there lets wait and see who throws there hat in the ring.

If thats the case, why are they out of work and why would they come to a club with not much money or support near the bottom of L2?

Oh dear.Yates was Cotterills assistant at Burnley the Kiddy job became available and he applied and got the job.There are 92 league clubs that have assistant mangers busting a gut to get on the ladder.Open your eyes your not here to see the shambles Yates is churning out as l said theres far better out there just sack him and see who throws there hat in the mix.
Peter Griffin
Rob Scott who was sacked from Grimsby, Grimsby fans rated him as a manager but unfortunately he seems to have awful anger issues. The amount of criticism Yates got for being a bit grumpy, he'd be another level.

As for the unemployed managers, the one's I'd consider, and would have a slight chance of coming here are:

Nick Barmby
John Coleman
Simon Davey
Andy Hessenthaler
John Hughes-harshly sacked by Hartlepool but I fear he'd prefer to work up north.
Martin Ling
Sammy McIllroy
Lawrie Sanchez
Paul Sturrock
Danny Wilson.

And a lot of those I'd be umming and ahhing about. I could envisage John Finnigan doing a surprisingly good job.

I wonder-if a change does happen-whether rather than poach a promising manager from non league, we poach a talented assistant manager from a Championship/League 1 club.
Robin
The only four I would even interview above would be Martin Ling, Paul Sturrock, John Coleman and Danny Wilson. I keep adding the name Steve Burr too.
Peter Griffin
I'm not entirely sure on Coleman, I feel he's more suited to a team happy with just consolidating in the division rather than one looking to get out of it the right way.
leohoenig
Nesty wrote:Dicky Dosh.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is easy to suggest current managers of the top clubs in the Conference (such as Money or Burr), but can we prise them away from their current clubs?
The stats say Money is a good bet. After the Allen experience, I would hope our directors talk to other clubs directors to hear if their is anything on the grapevine before signing a manger. (This is not meant as criticism of Money). I do not go to Sweden often, but remember being impressed by the style he had AIK playing when I was in Stockholm. Still, finishing 5th in the league below both Djurgården and Hammarby may not have made him popular in Solna. he was sacked only three matches into his second season, one win, one draw and one defeat, but notably the defeat was against Djurgården. I suspect AIK ended up regretting his departure. They were relegated.

Its not on Wiki, so Money's AIK record was 12 wins, 7 draws and 10 defeats in the league. He also managed four Europa League games, a win and draw against Fylkir Reykjavik, and two defeats to Valencia.
Hubert Parry
I am not too fussed about appointing a 'name'. I want someone who will bring a beautiful style of football to the table. I am sure there are a few ex-Premier League players who would happily take Cheltenham as their first management job.
Robin
Looking at what he did at Walsall Money would be an excellent successor. I also see no reason why Burr would turn us down.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:I am not too fussed about appointing a 'name'. I want someone who will bring a beautiful style of football to the table. I am sure there are a few ex-Premier League players who would happily take Cheltenham as their first management job.
Any in mind?
Robin
While I do not want to go back to the hoof and defend approach of John Ward, surely Yates team tends to play football rather than long ball? For me I want someone who can get us back into league one and keep us there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:While I do not want to go back to the hoof and defend approach of John Ward, surely Yates team tends to play football rather than long ball? For me I want someone who can get us back into league one and keep us there.
Been hoof ball for a year or so now.
Hubert Parry
I have never understood this myth that Yates has us playing football. I have witnessed it maybe once or twice (Crawley 3-1; Southend 3-0 comes to mind) but they were definitely the exception rather than the rule. Cotterill and Ward teams were similar, and they were effective.

However, I want to be entertained as it is so easy to watch top quality football on a daily basis for a lower price. The only way to pull the crowds is to play an exciting brand of football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:I have never understood this myth that Yates has us playing football. I have witnessed it maybe once or twice (Crawley 3-1; Southend 3-0 comes to mind) but they were definitely the exception rather than the rule. Cotterill and Ward teams were similar, and they were effective.

However, I want to be entertained as it is so easy to watch top quality football on a daily basis for a lower price. The only way to pull the crowds is to play an exciting brand of football.
It is always much nicer to go and watch good and enjoyable football. The majority of seasons a team will be in mid-table, and the only way to stay interesting is to play exciting fast and passing football. If it gets you promoted that is a bonus.
C.V
Hubert Parry wrote:I am not too fussed about appointing a 'name'. I want someone who will bring a beautiful style of football to the table. I am sure there are a few ex-Premier League players who would happily take Cheltenham as their first management job.

Spot on we have had names in the past Gould and Allen both disasters theres plenty out there trouble is our blind lot are afraid of change and are happy to see the club blunder along.
51/84
At this point HP i want to win entertainment is second
As a former manager said if you want to be entertained go to the circus
From memory he was sacked within the month
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:At this point HP i want to win entertainment is second
As a former manager said if you want to be entertained go to the circus
From memory he was sacked within the month
Must be a joke about clowns in there somewhere.
taxidave
Robin wrote:While I do not want to go back to the hoof and defend approach of John Ward, surely Yates team tends to play football rather than long ball? For me I want someone who can get us back into league one and keep us there.
Some of your recent posts have made me wonder whether you actually went to games but with a remark like that I now know that you are not a regular visitor to Whaddon Road.
IYWT
Hubert Parry wrote:Cotterill and Ward teams were similar.
Don't agree with that.

Cotteril's team was full of experience, physical, organised, difficult to play against.
Ward's team had a lot more younger players, playing at pace on the counter attack.
But as you say both very effective styles, and styles we can look back and identify.

The problem with Yates is he doesn't know how he wants to play and who his best team is, therefore there is no identity we can associate with him.
thetonga
How long is Boothroyd going to be at Northampton for? Pressure must be mounting on him like it is here.
taxidave
thetonga wrote:How long is Boothroyd going to be at Northampton for? Pressure must be mounting on him like it is here.
It will be an interesting game at Sixfields saturday...winner takes all, loser gets the sack.
51/84
would we do a swop