No disrespect to JP, but ...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
Jon Palmer wrote:I am always willing to take comments onboard about what you want to read/see more/less of in the Echo and online. All feedback welcome.
Can you ask Neil Howarth to think a bit more about his column and not give us another match report 3 days later........ Its ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:...You'd think that some people were being forced to read The Echo. Don't like it...don't read it.

I truly appreciate the thorough coverage JP gives the team. He reports facts and provides interviews that we wouldn't otherwise get. I prefer to read known facts in the papers, without spin or emotion. If I wanted to read the moans and groans of supporters and conspiracy theorists, I'd read the forum...not buy a newspaper.

Two distinct platforms that provide two different types of information. They can compliment one another, but I don't see why one should reflect the other...especially since we forum users represent a minority of CTFC fans.
Circa - you miss my point , I have no complaint over the match reporting , JP's views etc. I DO object to every day redaing from one player after another that leeson has been learnt and next match will prove it blah blah blah. Fill teh back page with JP work, not BS from players or at least tell them it is BS
There is only so much you can report on if writing every day?
Circa 1887
Confused - it's either that or empty pages. He can only report what the players say....and if they are towing the company line, so be it. If JP were to tell the players or club that "it is BS", I suspect we'd suffer from far more limited coverage, as the club would close ranks as far as The Echo is concerned.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:Confused - it's either that or empty pages. He can only report what the players say....and if they are towing the company line, so be it. If JP were to tell the players or club that "it is BS", I suspect we'd suffer from far more limited coverage, as the club would close ranks as far as The Echo is concerned.
I wonder if the answer is to give a day a week to the Trust or someone to write an article or be interviewed, then we may see more comment from outside the club and outside the company line.

Think how often you see 'supporters trust' or 'fanzine editor' quoted in articles about other (bigger) clubs.
ctfcshire
Jon Palmer wrote:There is a specific medical reason why Jones was allowed to leave.
This medical condition can't be very serious if he passed a medical at Newport?
asl
Just bad bruising from that wall he hit.
Si Robin
ctfcshire wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:There is a specific medical reason why Jones was allowed to leave.
This medical condition can't be very serious if he passed a medical at Newport?
Depends on the medics involved and the risks the club wishes to take.

Charlie Austin was all set to sign for Hull in the summer but they pulled out due to him having a knee problem that they didn't wish to take a risk on. QPR then signed him before the transfer window closed.
mattyboi
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:I'm afraid it was, sorry to disappoint. Some of the rumours I've read are astounding. There is a specific medical reason why Jones was allowed to leave and that's what I am not sure it's right to divulge the full details of, but it's all football-related.
You've bitten here jp. Think we should have all moved on from jones.
As a journalist it's a fine line between reporting news and keeping trust of people who give you the information.
To be fair JP, if the rumours are that astounding, why not report them? It would put the record straight and if as you say, they are complete rubbish, no one has anything to worry about. People only need worry when they are true.
51/84
I am not sure if it is libel or slander if its the rumours I heard LOL
taxidave
Would there be any rumours if we were top of the league.
Andy
taxidave wrote:Would there be any rumours if we were top of the league.
the rumours will always be there, just not get spread so quickly.
Joey
mattyboi wrote:
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:I'm afraid it was, sorry to disappoint. Some of the rumours I've read are astounding. There is a specific medical reason why Jones was allowed to leave and that's what I am not sure it's right to divulge the full details of, but it's all football-related.
You've bitten here jp. Think we should have all moved on from jones.
As a journalist it's a fine line between reporting news and keeping trust of people who give you the information.
To be fair JP, if the rumours are that astounding, why not report them? It would put the record straight and if as you say, they are complete rubbish, no one has anything to worry about. People only need worry when they are true.
The Echo would be done for libel for simply posting the rumours.

Quite disgusted people would spread such rumours in the first place.
asl
Don't forget that this forum is no different. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU POST.
ctfcshire
I think we all know the real reason why Billy has left and it has nothing to do with football or medical conditions.
51/84
OK shire if you are so sure post it
No thought not

Engage brain - have you met the person who told the person who told the person who told you

I have asked a number of people who should know if the rumours are true and the answer is a little bit but nothing to do with Jones.

It is someones agenda and you are stocking the fire
taxidave
ctfcshire wrote:I think we all know the real reason why Billy has left and it has nothing to do with football or medical conditions.
If you are so sure of your facts then post them on here, remember you cannot be done for libel if what you are posting is the truth.
Malabus
taxidave wrote:
ctfcshire wrote:I think we all know the real reason why Billy has left and it has nothing to do with football or medical conditions.
If you are so sure of your facts then post them on here, remember you cannot be done for libel if what you are posting is the truth.
Pretty sure it's the owners of the forum that can only be prosecuted for libel. Not individual posters. Could be wrong.
Ralph
Malabus wrote:
taxidave wrote:
Pretty sure it's the owners of the forum that can only be prosecuted for libel. Not individual posters. Could be wrong.
so why don't the people who started Twitter end up in court when tweets that are bad come out?
Don't know the answer just asking..

And we don't want the forum owner getting into trouble either
Ralph
taxidave wrote:
No you do not post "facts" on here... its not happening
Andy
Malabus wrote:Pretty sure it's the owners of the forum that can only be prosecuted for libel. Not individual posters. Could be wrong.
Under the Defamation Act 1996, a website host will have a defence to a claim for libel if he can show that (i) he was not the author, editor or publisher of the statement complained of, (ii) he took reasonable care in relation to its publication, and (iii) he did not know and had no reason to believe that what he did caused or contributed to the publication of the defamatory statement.

Also having stated rules to the website which say:
CONTENT

The Robins Nest Forum makes no claims that information dispersed through message boards or other means is accurate or reliable. Also The Robins Nest Forum cannot be held liable for any statements made by users of The Robins Nest Forum. Users are responsible and liable for all activities while participating on The Robins Nest Forum's message boards. Users are responsible for anything they post
Also IP addresses are tracked with each and every post made so if asked by officials it would be possible for a forum owner to provide such details to the necessary authorities if needed. Even those that use certain proxys can actually be tracked back to the original IP address of the poster now.

Therefore everyone is always warned to be careful of what YOU post as YOU are ultimately responsible.

There is a lot of complexity behind it as well but as long as the owner acts quickly if he/she has seen such items or hasnt seen the items then usually they cannot be held responsible for it.

I believe that once Twitter are aware, they soon remove such comments.