Team v Morecambe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
Ok what would everyone go for? This would be my team
Brown - Picks itself
Richards - CBB looks average and Richards has done a decent job when playing LB
Brown - Looked decent so far
Elliott - He's had a rest him and Troy Brown need to start playing together
Lowe - Better option than an out of form Sido
Vincent - Lets give him a chance he has a point to prove and we need more width at home
Noble - Bring him and lets start actually passing the ball on the floor
Penn - We need his energy in midfield
Mc Glashan - Play him in his natural position on the wing.
Gornell - Deserves to be starting and him and Harrison have worked well together when together
Harrison - Been one of the players of the season so far this season imo.
51/84
I think CBB will be injured
He was knackered his ankle was not 100% and he was smacked in the face and tired
The rest of the team I agree with except for AV , he has done nothing to merit a chance, where at least deering or Zak have tried
Gornell and Cureton need to be rotated with Harrison but Harrison needs to start
I-Love-CTFC
I'd like to see Deering start in place of McGlashan in his best position behind the strikers. He provides plenty of energy and he can feed Harrison, Cureton/Gornell. I don't believe he's started a game since we played Portsmouth.
Robin
I would say Gornell could play that role better than Sammy to be honest. I want us to start all three strikers with Terry at the top of the diamond.
Jebolani
What did Cureton do last game to warrant a start again? He isn't untouchable.
Robin
He's our best bloody striker by some distance!
baggy89
Benctfc wrote:Ok what would everyone go for? This would be my team
Brown - Picks itself
Richards - CBB looks average and Richards has done a decent job when playing LB
Brown - Looked decent so far
Elliott - He's had a rest him and Troy Brown need to start playing together
Lowe - Better option than an out of form Sido
Vincent - Lets give him a chance he has a point to prove and we need more width at home
Noble - Bring him and lets start actually passing the ball on the floor
Penn - We need his energy in midfield
Mc Glashan - Play him in his natural position on the wing.
Gornell - Deserves to be starting and him and Harrison have worked well together when together
Harrison - Been one of the players of the season so far this season imo.
I very nearly posted this exact post. Has to be 4-4-2 at home with the players at our disposal. Let other teams worry about us, stop this constant tinkering trying to match up or nullify the opposition. If there are issues in certain positions i.e. CB LB LM then steps should have already been taken to identify and bring in adequate replacements on short term loans. Likewise steps should have been taken to loan out those deemed "not good enough".

As for the Gornell/Cureton debate Zack/Ash, who cares really, both players in both positions are eminently interchangeable.
leohoenig
Jebolani wrote:What did Cureton do last game to warrant a start again? He isn't untouchable.
Laid on the goal?
Malabus
Looks like they have a few injuries.

"Cheltenham on or off"

http://www.shrimpsvoices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jebolani
Except for playing in the cross which McGlashan got the assist for (not Cureton), he was poor. The game was too physical for him and I expect Morecambe to be worse.
Joey
Jebolani wrote:Except for playing in the cross which McGlashan got the assist for (not Cureton), he was poor. The game was too physical for him and I expect Morecambe to be worse.
He scores goals, something Byron hasn't done for a few games now.
Jebolani
Byron offers more than Cureton though. Curo takes more shots/game I'd imagine. Byron played in Curo v Scunny, smacks it straight at the keeper. If that goes in it's 1-1 and we'd have gone onto win. Honestly, I think Byron has been our best player this season by miles.
CS85
.................brown

Lowe.....brown......elliott......cbb

..................penn

..........noble..........richards

.................gornell

........cureton........harrison

No point playing a wide game when we havent got the players to do it.
taxidave
CS85 wrote:.................brown

Lowe.....brown......elliott......cbb

..................penn

..........noble..........richards

.................gornell

........cureton........harrison

No point playing a wide game when we havent got the players to do it.
So where have McGlashan, Vincent and Kotwica gone ?
Jebolani
Agreed TD, Vince and J need to be given a chance to play together!
Andy
Jebolani wrote:Agreed TD, Vince and J need to be given a chance to play together!
TD best get down the training ground then to get up to match fitness.
Jebolani
Hahaha! 'Agreed TD;*' then.
taxidave
Andy wrote:
Jebolani wrote:Agreed TD, Vince and J need to be given a chance to play together!
I don't see why I should get up to match fitness or did you mean get the players up to match fitness.
CS85
I mean that yates doesnt favour playing a winger on the f#!$ wing,so why bother having any at all.
Most on here seem to think throwing vincent or kotwica on the left an play with balance will solve our problems,it wont,vincents shite and kotwicas is a kid nowhere near good enough.
RED ROB
Brown
Lowe, Brown, Elliott, Richards.
Taylor, Penn, McGlashan
Deering,
Cureton, Harrison.
thetonga
CS85 wrote:I mean that yates doesnt favour playing a winger on the f#!$ wing,so why bother having any at all.
Most on here seem to think throwing vincent or kotwica on the left an play with balance will solve our problems,it wont,vincents shite and kotwicas is a kid nowhere near good enough.
How do you know it won't solve our problems? With respect, it can't get too much worse!
As for Vincent being shite, he won one more player of the months than any of our players last year! Give the lad a chance before judging him.
taxidave
CS85 wrote:I mean that yates doesnt favour playing a winger on the f#!$ wing,so why bother having any at all.
I wonder what you base that judgement on, how many times have you seen Vincent play this season.
Shade
I think I'd only make one change to the starting team. Elliott in for Sido, Lowe to RB. The only other change I would consider would be Deering in for McG. But this is not based on knowing anything about the Morecambe team. We're not really in a position at the moment to just send out our preferred team and say "this is what we have, what are you going to do to beat us", because they probably will!

We have to put a team out that is going to deal with a side that hasn't lost since something like August 17th first and foremost, and then if we're in the game in the second half adjust it slightly to try and get the win.

Obviously those who want us to go out with flair and attack, attack, attack won't agree with this - but I want us to actually try and get something from the game :P
kags
Gornell and Cureton I reckon is our best partnership up front. Mabye Gornell slightly deeper as part of a 5 man midfield, as he links up well. Wish we could get back to playing some decent football and passing on the floor.
Robin
Definitely time to bring back Terry, he is ideal against biglong ball teams which is how I expect Morecambe to line up.
Shade
Oh God, I just realised that scumbag Ellison will be on the pitch tonight.
Uppy
Andy wrote:
:D :lol:

Morecambe wouldn't have planned for that!

I'd be tempted to go with

Brown
Lowe Brown Elliott Jombati
McGlashan Penn Noble/Richards Vincent
Harrison Cureton

Vincent must have SOMETHING and Jombati has had some good games at left back (along with some less good, admittedly). I was tempted to play Noble AND Richards, but I don't think we've got anybody in the middle who can compensate for Penn's energy. It's difficult to choose them up front. Harrison and Gornell have been doing well, but Cureton is a natural goalscorer. He knows exactly where to be and you can't teach that.
Shade
Just read that Vincent has started a mini pre-season fitness regime with Ian Hutton in order to try and regain sharpness, so sounds like he won't be playing for the next couple of games at least. Also, there will be changes tonight by the sound of it, but only in defence if CBB is injured.

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Shade wrote:Vincent has started a mini pre-season fitness regime
Ah-HA! So our season starts...when, this time...?
CheltRobin
I wonder what are the odds for us NOT to concede 2 goals (or more) tonight.

I'll take a 1-0 - but have a feeling Ellison will have a big say on the outcome - striker bang on form.
thetonga
Players get sharpness playing games, not in the gym.
Shade
thetonga wrote:Players get sharpness playing games, not in the gym.
Is it worth playing with 10 1/2 players though for a few games to just get one up to speed?
CheltRobin
No - not in our current situation anyway - we're being found out enough with 11 fit players - thou not sure what they'll be like tonight after trudging for the pitch for the last 20 mins on Sat - they should've recovered but............
Rick
Robin wrote:I would say Gornell could play that role better than Sammy to be honest. I want us to start all three strikers with Terry at the top of the diamond.
Good Shout Robin. Got to be worth a go