McG - Keep on diving??

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CheltRobin
Anyone know why, for some reason, McG continues to feel the need to swallow dive whenever a little breeze happens to touch him when he's running?? It started to creep in last season and has continued this season - now it's getting really annoying. Its 1 of worst traits a player can have - I hate any players doing it - it's blantant cheating and it's even worse when it's 1 of our own players!!

Why hasn't the management team picked up on this?? And if they have, why haven't told him to STOP IT!!

1 of these matches, he's gonna set sent off with 2 yellow cards for diving and he will deserve it. He doesn't need to do it as he has enough pace and sooner or later if he keeps blasting past the defenders they will have to chop him down anyway, so we will get the advantage at some stage in matches.

Comw on McG - You don't need to do it - SO DON'T!!

(Although maybe he's doing it so he can get an £80 million transfer a la Bale and Ronaldo :D :D )
Taz1985
Have you maybe thought then when you are running at his pace, the slightest touch will knock you off balance.

I suggest you try running at speed and get one of your mates to slightly brush you and see what happens.

But I wouldn't do it on tarmac.
baggy89
It doesn't even need to be a touch when in full flight, the minutest adjustment of your gait due to expected contact can be enough to bring your leading foot to ground a hundredth of a second too early, meaning your leg is not in the position your brain expected it to be, throwing you right off balance.

I also remember an interview with Sam Allarrdyce where when questioned on his stance regarding diving (I expected quite a vociferous damning of the practice) he stated he told his players to go to ground, because if they did not the officials would not give a decision no matter how blatant the foul.
Lonely goat-herd
CheltRobin wrote:Anyone know why, for some reason, McG continues to feel the need to swallow dive whenever a little breeze happens to touch him when he's running?? It started to creep in last season and has continued this season - now it's getting really annoying. Its 1 of worst traits a player can have - I hate any players doing it - it's blantant cheating and it's even worse when it's 1 of our own players!!

Why hasn't the management team picked up on this?? And if they have, why haven't told him to STOP IT!!

1 of these matches, he's gonna set sent off with 2 yellow cards for diving and he will deserve it. He doesn't need to do it as he has enough pace and sooner or later if he keeps blasting past the defenders they will have to chop him down anyway, so we will get the advantage at some stage in matches.

(Although maybe he's doing it so he can get an £80 million transfer a la Bale and Ronaldo :D :D )
What a load of nonsense! :lol:
CheltRobin
The way McG is diving is when a player comes near him, he's not changing direction - he's seeing a player approaching him, then going over before ANY contact is made. If he gets sent off for it - he'll get no sympathy from me or the others I stand with.

He doesn't want to get a reputation for diving - otherwise, when he IS fouled, the ref will turn a blind eye to it as he will think he's diving again - Players should be above that - don't like to see that from Chelt players.
CheltRobin
Lonely goat-herd - He did it on Staturday!
Nesty
I think McGlashan is potentially a great player given the right service, but he has to be played on the flank.
However - I sometimes feel that our problems (or rather Yates' problem) in deciding the correct formation is caused by seemingly have to accommodate McGlashan and three central midfielders to operate any of the various formations Yates has tried. I was sat quite near the incident but couldnt decide whether he had dived, I think there was contact, but Jermaine made a meal of it. I wouldnt want to win any game by cheating but there have been stacks of times when one of our players HAS been tripped in the box with nowt given.
Si Robin
CheltRobin wrote:The way McG is diving is when a player comes near him, he's not changing direction - he's seeing a player approaching him, then going over before ANY contact is made. If he gets sent off for it - he'll get no sympathy from me or the others I stand with.

He doesn't want to get a reputation for diving - otherwise, when he IS fouled, the ref will turn a blind eye to it as he will think he's diving again - Players should be above that - don't like to see that from Chelt players.
He had that reputation long before he came to Cheltenham.
cliffy90
The number of away fans who have said to me he would be a decent player if he could stay on his feet and not throw himself to the ground. It is frustrating to see from one of your own players. I'm a McGlashan fan but he needs to cut it out and up his game. Hopefully it won't be long before Yates starts playing him on the wing again because he looks a bit lost behind the strikers.
51/84
!st one on Saturday was without doubt a dive
The second , the one he was booked for, probably wasnt
Horteng
CheltRobin wrote:Anyone know why, for some reason, McG continues to feel the need to swallow dive whenever a little breeze happens to touch him when he's running?? It started to creep in last season and has continued this season - now it's getting really annoying. Its 1 of worst traits a player can have - I hate any players doing it - it's blantant cheating and it's even worse when it's 1 of our own players!!

Because hes a rubbish, 1 trick pony who has been found out.
51/84
back on ignore horteng
asl
Is there anyone we haven't dissed yet...? Even by The Nest's standards, we've been going some, lately. That kit-man...fookin' rubbish, he is...can't even get a place on the bench, these days. And Whaddony....don't get me started on Whaddony....
Jebolani
When did he dive last game? He gets taken out a hell of a lot more than he dives... Also he's one of the quickest players in the league, any touch will bring him down.
Shade
The ref said he dived. The ref got it wrong, I thought. Other than being a touch picky, I thought it was the only real thing he did get wrong.

Except, in hindsight, he should obviously have called the game off at the start of the second half...
Jebolani
Oh right, yeah. That was a foul, like Gornell against Scunthorpe, he just went down too late.
Shade
Jebolani wrote:Oh right, yeah. That was a foul, like Gornell against Scunthorpe, he just went down too late.
That's the annoying thing - players get penalised for TRYING to stay on their feet. If they don't hit the turf without taking another step then they are seen to have dived, which is ridiculous. Ref's need to go on a course where they're running at full speed and then are taken out in varying challenges so that they know by experience what can and can't take someone down when sprinting.

Also, it would be great to watch.
Jebolani
McG building up a rep too. Done for diving against Pompey/Oxford(?) too wasn't he?
CheltRobin
It's occurring more and more often - I know he prob doesn't want to keep getting clattered every match (usually by 1 of the 2 players surrouning him), but equally, getting a rep for diving will do him no favours in the long run either.

Be brave McG - you'll get your rewards more often than not by not diving.
Horteng
There is an incredible stat about Billy Jones having more assists than Jermaine, Mo and someone else (Cant remember the 3rd) put together last year....... Then someone built a brick wall................
Jebolani
Big wow. He could deliver a ball. He was absolutely awful at the back and Chris Hackett among others tore him a new one. Richards can deliver just as well as Billy...
Jebolani
Big wow. He could deliver a ball. He was absolutely awful at the back and Chris Hackett among others tore him a new one. Richards can deliver just as well as Billy...
I-Love-CTFC
Jebolani wrote:Big wow. He could deliver a ball. He was absolutely awful at the back and Chris Hackett among others tore him a new one. Richards can deliver just as well as Billy...
Deliver as well as Billy? I think we're yet to see that so far.
Jebolani
How many assists has he got? I can think of a few.
I-Love-CTFC
Richards has no assists in the league. Harrison and Penn lead the way for us with 2 assists.
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/D ... 26,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jebolani
Harrison in the cup is one that comes to mind.
Horteng
Jebolani wrote:Big wow. He could deliver a ball. He was absolutely awful at the back and Chris Hackett among others tore him a new one. Richards can deliver just as well as Billy...
Im not commenting on his defending...... Im talking about his assists
Shade
Horteng wrote:
Im not commenting on his defending...... Im talking about his assists
Scoring goals isn't really the problem this season though, is it...so who cares about that.
Jebolani
We've scored plenty this season... Not seeing your point either Horteng.
Horteng
Jebolani wrote:We've scored plenty this season... Not seeing your point either Horteng.
Basically I am justifying my own thoughts on McGlashan being utter shite
Malabus
Let's hope his injury isn't serious. Walked off the pitch which was a good sign.
Jebolani
McGlashan shite? Ffs...
Powelly131
Horteng wrote:
Jebolani wrote:We've scored plenty this season... Not seeing your point either Horteng.
Basically I am justifying my own thoughts on McGlashan being utter shite
McGlashan shite? Fook me, he's brilliant compared to that Ozil chap, now he's shite