Great result BUT

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

C.V
We have been here before we must follow this up Saturday with another win.Consistency has been crippling us just hope we don't let this great result be just a flash in the pan.
Hubert Parry
Agreed. I have a feeling this kind of form will dictate our season, which is why I don't want Yates to get the sack. I can't see us getting relegated and I can't see us getting promoted. The time to review is next summer.
cheltsaxon
have to admit the first half was awful!
Nesty
Do you know HP, right now I would agree with that if I felt the gates would hold up.
Slothar
We'll summarised. Six points from play-offs, six from relegation sums up the season so far, I think.
Reliant Robin
At least it will keep the pitiful Taxi Dave and his woeful compatriots in the "Yates Out" camp quiet tonight.

I hear Arsenal lost? "Wenger out" anyone ???

Well done to Mark Yates and the Team tonight, showed plenty of fight and but for a 'guess the right way' moment by the massive keeper Roche to save the penalty kick from Matt Richards, that would have been an extremely comfortable 4-0 win. But then I suppose it was Yates' fault the penalty was saved. ;)
Robin
The thing was CV there was plenty to be concerned about truth be told. First half we were woeful, probably worse than Saturday. Second half we looked like a genuine automatic team who ripped Morecambe apart and should have scored a lot more than three.

I still don't think Yates has sorted things, the midfield looks disjointed and I fear knee jerk changes to every bad result or mistake at the moment.
art vandalay
Dreadful first half again but the game turned in our favour with 2 mistakes by Morecambe players. Their keeper made a right old mess of dealing with a free-kick through the middle and then their defender idiotically conceded a second yellow. It was then noticeable how much better we played when we were clearly favourites to win.

I thought the midfield looked better with Noble in it, but I was far from impressed with their impact in the first half. It was only when they had more space in the second that they made an impact. Until we get this sorted I'm afraid I'll be looking down the table rather than up.

Good to see Gornell back in the team - hope he gets a run.
Shade
Dreadful first half...Morecambe weren't any better. In my view we frustrated the form team in the first half and when we got the advantage in the second half we went in for the kill. The penalty saved and a decent save from Cureton with a goal line clearance away from 5-0.
taxidave
Reliant Robin wrote:At least it will keep the pitiful Taxi Dave and his woeful compatriots in the "Yates Out" camp quiet tonight.I hear Arsenal lost? "Wenger out" anyone ???

Well done to Mark Yates and the Team tonight, showed plenty of fight and but for a 'guess the right way' moment by the massive keeper Roche to save the penalty kick from Matt Richards, that would have been an extremely comfortable 4-0 win. But then I suppose it was Yates' fault the penalty was saved. ;)
RR I object most strongly to be called pitiful, I feel an apology would not be out of place.
As to the Yates out campaign perhaps you would be good enough to remind me when I have used those words.
decanted88
First half we were terrible. I thought when we lost pack at the end of last season we would become just another average battling mid tabke team. That is what Saturday showed and the first half of tonight. A nothing team, draws with the odd win and mid table come the end of the seaso . Second half tonight we looked completely different, the ball was on the floor! Shame it took a sending off to kick it all off but that is how we need to play if we arw going to anywhere. Was very dissapointed to not see Harrison start and thought the firat half was calling out for him, not the biggest of deering fans at all but have always thought he picks a good pass and he did use it tonight. Time to get behind the lads again and build on this win.
C.V
Reliant Robin wrote:At least it will keep the pitiful Taxi Dave and his woeful compatriots in the "Yates Out" camp quiet tonight.

What a pathetic childish toys out the pram post we get a much needed win and the key board warriors cant wait to have a dig you need to grow a pair mate
Circa 1887
Reliant Robin wrote:At least it will keep the pitiful Taxi Dave and his woeful compatriots in the "Yates Out" camp quiet tonight.

Erm...is that a serious post, or are you on a wind up?

Arsenal are top of the Premier League and their Champions League group. The context of their defeat is more that a bit different, don't you think?

Equally, criticism of Mark Yates has largely centred around his tactics and team selection (with the exception of a small number of irrelevant posts about his body language). Nobody is adopting a blame him for everything approach. In fact, if you look at the critique of him on this forum, you will find some pretty tactically astute observations from a number of forum members.
Alf

Rather sad 'rose tinted'post.
It is one win. With the squad we have, Yates could put the names in a hat and pick them out and eventually we would win a game. The real proof of a turn around is whether we can go on from this with a consistent run of wins or creditable draws. Let's hope so but it's not all rosy in the garden just yet.
Shade
Eventually we'd win a game? That's 3 in the last 5 games that we have won.

Maybe you negative lot would enjoy wearing some rose tinted spectacles for a while so that you can see some of the s**t you post.
CheltRobin
Robins were due a dose a of good fortune and "the rub of the green" - maybe we got half a season's worth in 1 night?? A free-kick that went straight through the wall, a (fully deserved) sending-off, a deflected 2nd goal and we even had time to miss a penalty!!

Have to say, was getting worried again after Scotty pulled off another 2 decent savs in the first 6/7 mins (the 1st save especially). However, Chelt (slowly) got into the match, eventually nullifying their main threat, which was Ellison. We scored at just the right time. Obviously, the sending off changed things dramatically, but fair play to the team. They could of just sat back, instead they passed it around, pulled Morecombe out of shape and their deserved reward with a 3rd goal.

Actually, that should've been 4 - Richards pen miss was woeful - why did he only take a 2 step run up?? Unless those type of pens are RIGHT in the corner, the keeper will always have a chance to save it - which he did!! Cureton also maybe should've put 1 of his chances away, although credit due to the keeper for a good save.

Has Yates finally found the formation and the players to play in it?? Prob too early to tell just on the back of last nites performance - the next 3/4 matches will show 1 way or another if he has. We now need to get some of unbeaten run going - even 6/7 matches would help.

But, I'm a happy fan + poster on here today - looking forward to Sat much more now - but saying anything about turning any corners - just going to bask in the glory of a decent home win (in front of our smallest crowd!!) and a clean sheet - Yea!! :D :D
Circa 1887
Agree with that summary CheltRobin
confused.com
Have to say just before half time I was looking on the web for the contact number of a urologist, because it looked as though half the team couldn't even pass water !!
Goal just before half time clinched it for me. The team came out with a lot more confidence in the second half - who knows, maybe due to a half time team talk ?
The sending off - has to be remembered that the second booking was because he was getting skinned by a player who was moving forward with purpose, pace and confidence. All that was there before they went down to ten men. As for the ten men ..... it was not long ago that we all sat and watched CTFC struggle against 10 men, so I don't think it is right to belittle last nights performance by saying it was down to space created by a missing man. Their midfield and defence stayed the same, difference was CTFC came out actually believing they could win a game, kept the ball on the deck and used the width of the pitch. As has been said elsewhere, I can only hope that this gives the squad confidence in themselves and their ability
C.V
Shade wrote:Eventually we'd win a game? That's 3 in the last 5 games that we have won.

Maybe you negative lot would enjoy wearing some rose tinted spectacles for a while so that you can see some of the s**t you post.

I do like how the stats get posted :lol: :lol: 3in the last 5 games :lol: :lol: last time l looked at the table it was 3 in the last11

LLDDDLWLWLW

lets hope the trend doesnt continue a win followed by a lose
51/84
last 9 3w 3d 3l 12 points from 27
It does look like it is improving
Would we rather have won 1 more and lost 2 of the 3 draws
Andy
Oh come on you lot. It's a 100% record.....................since Sunday.
Artemis
Or with an even more positive positioning, 9 points from a possible 15 since 28th September. Look at it another way, five draws in that time would have left us four points worse off, but we could say "unbeaten in five". Many ways of spinning that series of results above. Personally, from a confidence perspective, I prefer the more positive view. One 3-0 win doesn't mean I don't still doubt Yatesie's tactical nous, but I think that's a reason he brought Dave Kevan on board, so at least perhaps he recognises his weaker areas and is prepared to address them.
Just hope we now become inconsistent (two wins in a row) in order to bring about a consistent winning run.....
Shade
C.V wrote:
Shade wrote:Eventually we'd win a game? That's 3 in the last 5 games that we have won.

I do like how the stats get posted :lol: :lol: 3in the last 5 games :lol: :lol: last time l looked at the table it was 3 in the last11

LLDDDLWLWLW
As I said, try wearing some rose tinted glasses...
If we win on Saturday that will be 4 wins in 6, but I don't suppose you like stats that reflect well on the manager.
C.V
Shade wrote:
C.V wrote:

LLDDDLWLWLW
As I said, try wearing some rose tinted glasses...
If we win on Saturday that will be 4 wins in 6, but I don't suppose you like stats that reflect well on the manager.

As we know we cant forcast the next game and the thread title did say,

GOOD RESULT BUT.

If we lose the next which l hope we dont will you perhaps try to see what l was saying consitency has been killing us.
Thats the problem on here the Rose Tinters see us get a win and before you know it they are turning somersaults they forget we have been really really poor now we are the best thing since sliced bread :shock:
Shade
I know consistency is the problem, but why bang on about it all the time. We ALL know that consistency is the problem. Just try and let the light into your life for a few days until the next game :D
Artemis
C.V wrote: If we lose the next which l hope we dont will you perhaps try to see what l was saying consitency has been killing us.
Thats the problem on here the Rose Tinters see us get a win and before you know it they are turning somersaults they forget we have been really really poor now we are the best thing since sliced bread :shock:
If we were to lose the next game, then I'd argue that that would be consistent with our sequence of results. WLWLWL.... but that's an aside to the point I want to make, which is....

Conversely we lose a game and before you know it, the anti-Rose Tinters (the Candle Crew?) are on here telling us how we're doomed. As several have pointed out, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle - we're not as good as some thought we ought to be (me included), but we're not as bad as some think we could be. A mid-table side is probably a better reflection. And if come May, this comes back to haunt me as we flop or fly out of this division, then so be it - I'll be happy to accept I was wrong!
ghandi
Was bevan right in calling yatesy "brave" with his team selection (dropping two of the best performers from saturday,penn & harrison) He must have read his horoscope that said "Try anything you like,your lucks in,you can't go wrong".The 1st half was mind numbing,they were as bad as us,but they would have been happy with 0-0.We knocked it about nicely when they went down to 10 men,noble was in his element with more space,and everything fell into place.Sad to say if we can't give cureton the service he needs,its a waste of time playing him.Happy and relieved to get 3 points,but if the rose tinters think that yatesy has seen the light and become a tactical visionery,they could well be disappionted.
stevec
Apologies if this has already been posted, but here are the highlights -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2X3znSqlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jebolani
Problem is, people are so quick to judge Yates when it goes badly; yet never praise him when he does well. Ridiculous.
Circa 1887
Personally, I have no grudge against Yates.

I just call it as I see it and yesterday, 11 v 11, we didn't look good and showed some of our usual defensive frailty. Had it stayed 11 v 11, i'd have backed a draw. Against 10 men, we looked good - partly because we started to pass the ball around, rather than hoof it - and partly because Morecombe crumbled.

So, pleased as I am with 3 points, it would be naive in my view to think that we have suddenly found the right tactical balance and ought to be praising the manager in that respect. However, Yates and the players exploited Morecombe's handicap to full effect, which should be praised.
Robin
Jebolani wrote:Problem is, people are so quick to judge Yates when it goes badly; yet never praise him when he does well. Ridiculous.
I am happy to praise him but I am not sure he is deserving of praise yesterday. By that I mean I am not sure if the decent second half performance was down to him, the players or the opposition falling apart after the sending off but I do know he must be culpable for the dire first half and the fact our midfield were all over the place while the defence lumped it over their heads.
Shade
And yet when we were passing it around at 1/2-0 up against 10 men, the amount of people around me flipping moaning that we weren't getting it forward quick enough was unreal. They were the same bunch moaning when we were trying to get it forward quickly on Saturday and it kept coming straight back at us. Then some in the LMI started the Ole's and it was as though a switch flipped and they suddenly thought "oh, ole's - I've heard this on televised football so we must actually be doing the right thing...it means we're dominating and are making the opposition run around....I should join in instead of moaning".
Shade
Robin wrote:
Jebolani wrote:Problem is, people are so quick to judge Yates when it goes badly; yet never praise him when he does well. Ridiculous.
I am happy to praise him but I am not sure he is deserving of praise yesterday. By that I mean I am not sure if the decent second half performance was down to him, the players or the opposition falling apart after the sending off but I do know he must be culpable for the dire first half and the fact our midfield were all over the place while the defence lumped it over their heads.
Why is he culpable for anything?! It was a first half we finished 1-0 up for God's sake.
RED ROB
I thought with the side he selected we actually passed the ball on the deck.
Everything on Saturday was belted up around Harrisons ears.
With Gornell in we played it to feet.
Apart from the first 10 mins we were comfortable.
2nd half a joy to watch the passes to feet, how often is 10 men hard to play against.
Totally dominated and never in any trouble.
Artemis
Robin wrote: By that I mean I am not sure if the decent second half performance was down to him, the players or the opposition falling apart after the sending off but I do know he must be culpable for the dire first half and the fact our midfield were all over the place while the defence lumped it over their heads.
If the improved second half could be down to Yates, the players or the opposition falling apart, then surely the first half (which we came out of ahead) could be down to the players, the opposition not having fallen apart, or Yates, rather than solely Yates' fault? Seems a little biased to me...

Red Rob, I know I've seen us - other teams struggle to play against 10 men before - but isn't that because the team with one fewer players is tactically more adept (in adapting to the numerical disadvantage) than the other side in doing the same rather than an inherent advantage in playing with 10 men. Else wouldn't teams who didn't fancy their chances just a get a player sent of earlier on in order to reap that advantage?