Suddenly the garden looks rosy again

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Peter Griffin
3 wins from 5 and starting to look slightly more like our old selves. A good win over a team in the mix in the top end of the table and we're now only 6 points off the top 7. At this stage of the season, that's absolutely nothing.

Northampton meanwhile did what we did and conceded two late goals against Rochdale. Their morale will be low, and we have a decent record at Sixfields, winning two and drawing one of our last three league meetings (there was that play off defeat of course).

Win on Saturday and I'll start to believe we're turning a corner.
Robin
No disrespect Peter but we were god awful in the first half, looked really disjointed and could have easilly conceeded a couple. Granted second half was much better but how much of that was down to Morecambe having ten men?
Circa 1887
Robin wrote:No disrespect Peter but we were god awful in the first half, looked really disjointed and could have easilly conceeded a couple. Granted second half was much better but how much of that was down to Morecambe having ten men?
100% this.

Taylor on the left of a diamond and Noble in a holding role didn't work for me, at all. The red card (correct call) changed the dynamics entirely. Until then, we'd looked dire. Keith Lowe was awful, T.Brown did a decent job in organising the back line. Gornell was outstanding.
Peter Griffin
If we'd played well until half time, then collapsed and lost 3 or 4-0, we'd be calling it a terrible performance, so surely if we play relatively poorly until half time then click into gear the second half it can be deemed a good performance. Yes they had 10 men but it can often be the case that 10 men are hard to play against.
Circa 1887
I think it was clear that with 10 men, Morecombe collapsed. Great 3 points, but I certainly haven't seen a transformation in our football tonight. We were afforded ampul time and space, Gornell walked through their defence and Harrison's goal was almost farcical - from Morecombe's perspective.
51/84
We certainly have not turned the corner
Having said that we normally struggle against 10 men so we did ok
taxidave
There really is no pleasing some people, 3 points, 3 goals, a clean sheet and still some fans are critical. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Circa 1887
My optimism has been dampened by several 'false dawns'. Let's hope Saturday bucks the current trend.
baggy89
I think to describe the first half performance as "awful" is a tad harsh. Lacking confidence, a fair amount of "are you supposed to be there?" "What are you doing there?" Why aren't you there?" As the players got used to yet another formation (It looked 4-2-1-3 to me...)
I'd agree with.
There were a couple of balls over the top for the Morecambe forward to run on to that we're a bit "oh s#!t" one in the second minute, or there abouts springs immediately to mind, but I don't think we particularly looked like conceding.
Second half much better and knocking the ball about, possession football, that prompted the "ole's" is how you hold on for a result, not sitting further and further back hoofing the ball forward and waiting for it to come back. OK it was against 10 men but regardless it will presumably instil a bit of belief and much needed confidence. 3-0 and a missed penalty, I certainly didn't expect that on the way to the game tonight...

Sido played like we know he can
Noble came into the game and began to boss it
Terry Gornell was bang on form
Best I've seen Richards play
Byron scored again despite only being a sub
Troy had a superb game
I don't think I saw Jason Taylor do his jazz hands when trying to make a block
And I think we saw evidence that Sammy Deering isn't the shortest player in league two.
All positives in my view. We haven't turned a corner but there were signs of hope there tonight.
Shade
baggy89 wrote:I think to describe the first half performance as "awful" is a tad harsh. Lacking confidence, a fair amount of "are you supposed to be there?" "What are you doing there?" Why aren't you there?" As the players got used to yet another formation (It looked 4-2-1-3 to me...)
I'd agree with.
There were a couple of balls over the top for the Morecambe forward to run on to that we're a bit "oh s#!t" one in the second minute, or there abouts springs immediately to mind, but I don't think we particularly looked like conceding.
Second half much better and knocking the ball about, possession football, that prompted the "ole's" is how you hold on for a result, not sitting further and further back hoofing the ball forward and waiting for it to come back. OK it was against 10 men but regardless it will presumably instil a bit of belief and much needed confidence. 3-0 and a missed penalty, I certainly didn't expect that on the way to the game tonight...

Sido played like we know he can
Noble came into the game and began to boss it
Terry Gornell was bang on form
Best I've seen Richards play
Byron scored again despite only being a sub
Troy had a superb game
I don't think I saw Jason Taylor do his jazz hands when trying to make a block
And I think we saw evidence that Sammy Deering isn't the shortest player in league two.
All positives in my view. We haven't turned a corner but there were signs of hope there tonight.
Totally agree with that assessment.
leohoenig
Its better to run a critical eye over successes, and try to work out what worked, what did not work and what can be done better than to simply slam the failures. I was not at tonight's game, so the information I have is based on various comments I have received. My feelings are that we are not as bad as some people say, but we are certainly not very good. I would say the word that best describes recent results (two wins and two defeats in four) is "ordinary". This is shaded by some very poor results earlier in the season, that has left us closer to the bottom of the table than the top - I do not think 17th can be described as anything better than that.
I was totally unsurprised that changes were made - we lost on Saturday after all, but at least Yates has stuck to a formation. One comment sent to me sugested this was more square, or even a rhomboid (there's a word the echo won't use) - two of the players (Taylor and Noble) tending to hold back while two (McG and Deering) were forward. Unless injuries intervene, I am sure we will play the same team and formation on Saturday. This is one of Yates' more obvious weaknesses, to field the same winning team, but to quickly change a losing team. I have always been a fan of Gornell, and I tend to be a critic of Harrison, so I was pleased with this change. Deering is one of a long line of players who do not seem to meet their potential here, while McG flatters to decieve, with runs but little in the way of delivery. My thoughts on Noble have been that the main differences between him and the alternatives is he has more hair. However, the reports I heard tonight said he was the one responsible for the fact we held the ball better. BBC gave us as having 64% possession, and was giving a similar figure at the end of the first half, so this is not down to Morecambe being a man short.
If we can push on, and actually string a couple of wins together, than we can forget about Yates' job being on the line (while still being a long way from thinking about fresh contracts). Of course this has been said before, and we have not done so. On the other hand, three defeats in a row would be a serious blow to our chances of keeping Yates in place to Christmas. The next two matches, being against opposition that has so far not delivered and the FA Cup match are liable to be critical.