FAO PAUL BAKER

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Skrill Prem attendances in link below.

Bearing in mind we'd have fewer home fans and a lot fewer away fans, we should still have top half average attendance in my opinion.

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/FC/attend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biggest problem would be kids would grow up supporting bigger teams again and we wouldn't build a big future fan base.
taxidave
I am sure that if we got relegated a lot of the cuts would be made in the backroom staff first, we would not need a full time safety officer (there is not a lot of segregation in the conference), the ticket office and shop would go part time, marketing would go as there would be nothing appealing to sell, media coverage would be cut to a minimum (who wants to hear about conference football !) and I am sure that the youth academy would be severely cut as the grants would disappear.
A grim picture and one that must not be allowed to happen.
asl
How many coaches would we need...?
Andy
asl wrote:How many coaches would we need...?
Only a minibus for away games :)
Robin
There are only five clubs in that league bigger than us in terms of fan base. Still I do not believe it will happen even with Yates in charge.
nickyjordan
Since our amazing rise into the football league we have had relatively good times and I think expectations are high.

The club (PB) needs the fans to stick behind it now- relegation battles still need support.

Its going to be a hard few days at Whaddon Road while he decides what to do next.
asl
Robin wrote:There are only five clubs in that league bigger than us in terms of fan base.
What on Earth has that to do with the next sentence (assuming you're talking about the prospects of going down)? Surely you don't subscribe to the "we're too big to go down" theory???
Still I do not believe it will happen even with Yates in charge.
taxidave
Robin wrote:There are only five clubs in that league bigger than us in terms of fan base. Still I do not believe it will happen even with Yates in charge.
Only Luton, Wrexham and Grimsby have higher average attendances this season than us but unfortunately that is not comparing like for like, as we have hosted Plymouth, Portsmouth, and Oxford all of whom will have filled the away end, because if we were in the conference only Hereford would possibly do so and our only other local Derby's would be against Kidderminster and FGR neither of whom would bring more than a few hundred.
Robin
In response to ASL no I don't believe we are too big to go down, I just believe there are worse sides than us and expect us to finish top half when Yates is given the boot.

I was simply stating we would be one of the bigger clubs in the league below, sure not as big as Luton, Grimsby or Wrexham but at least comparable with clubs such as Cambridge, Chester, Kiddy, Aldershot if not bigger.
CheltRobin
@ Taxidave - Excuse me, but it wasn't because I couldn't be bothered to turn up at Tamworth. I said on this forum that I had a bad feeling about the tie and the way we have been playing we could easily lose - and we did - we were humiliated in the 1st half especially. I chose to stay away because I didn't want to see that happen.

I'm a season ticket holder, have been for 14 years and go to over half of the away matches each season - I will at the fans forum on Thurs and except Yates to have some decent answers ready for our mess of a season so far. It's his fault (and to players to some extent) that even regualr fans like me are starting to miss matches they would've gone to previously.
taxidave
CheltRobin wrote:@ Taxidave - Excuse me, but it wasn't because I couldn't be bothered to turn up at Tamworth. I said on this forum that I had a bad feeling about the tie and the way we have been playing we could easily lose - and we did - we were humiliated in the 1st half especially. I chose to stay away because I didn't want to see that happen.
CheltRobin my post was directed at Robin and not you, as you will see if you re-read the message, but my apologies if this was not made clear.
CheltRobin
Ok - apologies for the mis-communication - I'm still seething from Saturday!!
confused.com
nickyjordan wrote:Since our amazing rise into the football league we have had relatively good times and I think expectations are high.

The club (PB) needs the fans to stick behind it now- relegation battles still need support.

Its going to be a hard few days at Whaddon Road while he decides what to do next.
well said
cheltsaxon
like I said lack of ambition from Baker wont spend expects us to do well on pittance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Does he expect that?

Is this season not our highest playing budget, with poor crowds?

Bit of a harsh post in my opinion.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Does he expect that?
Is this season not our highest playing budget, with poor crowds?
Bit of a harsh post in my opinion.
If this is the highest playing budget we have ever had then I will ask again, where is the money going, because we have 22 registered players of which 1 is a loan and 6 are kids so that leaves just 15 players.
As a comparison Tamworth have 28 registered players of which 7 are out on loan.
I think the problem lies with the way the budget has been spent and not with the amount the Board has provided and I would not blame PB if he decided that he had spent enough already this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed Dave, PB cannot be blamed for out biggest bydget and paying down debt.

Maybe clarification will be forthcoming at the forum.
duckers
Robin wrote:
Daveangel wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:Unbelievably predictable. No - not the way the Team played, but the buffoons who get on this Forum. How arrogant that they feel they can get the ear of the Chairman by creating a thread for his attention. What a destructive set of so called 'fans' you are.
Ok we have lost a game. An FA Cup game away to non-league 'minnows' but that is what the FA Cup is all about. We have enjoyed two phenomenal seasons in the Cup, this year wasn't our turn. Get over it. Our Team has every chance of improving our League position and will do so. This was just a 1-0 loss away from home in the FA Cup to a club that raised its game today & got their reward. End of.
Cheltenham Town will recover from this, and quickly and they should allow Mark Yates to get on with his job without all this petty backstabbing.
Spurs and play offs, Everton and play offs, bad start and an early exit.

I do wonder what would make some of you chaps content.

RR. The voice of reason.
Don't listen to Reliant Dave he is deluded and quite rightly ridiculed for his far out opinion. It's easy to think Yates has done a good job but it doesn't tell the whole story.

He has led us to our worst ever league defeat, our first ever defeat to non-league opposition, bottled what looked like a top three finish on two occasions the whole time he has been found wanting tactically. Yes we have had some fantastic cup draws and yes he is an amazing recruiter of players but tactically he is simply not league standard.
It was Yates that took us to that near top 3 finish just 6 months ago. Yes, its been a bad start to the season. But Yatsey is Cheltenham through and through, (along with Howarth & Booky) one of the longest serving football league managers and has almost got us promotion the past two seasons which has bought us alot of optimism, a couple of novelty FA cup ties in this time have also generated excitement. Lets not cry that we got knocked out the FA cup early this year and take some rough with the smooth. Its still early days in the league and Yatesy deserves more time, no doubt about it
Oldun
Sorry Duckers, but with the greatest respect, being Cheltenham "through and through" does not make him a good manager. Having all his ex playing mates around does not make him a good manager. Indeed much of your statement, especially the bit about the near misses on promotion show him NOT to be a good manager. (As do many of the other things listed on this forum for many many months. eg poor squad, ridiculous selections, man management etc etc)
cheltsaxon
Wheres the proof that this is our biggest playing budget i dont recall seeing it confirmed anywhere.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cheltsaxon wrote:Wheres the proof that this is our biggest playing budget i dont recall seeing it confirmed anywhere.
I believe Mr Baker stated such and it was quoted in local media.

Could always ask at the forum if you want to hear from the equine mouth.
Carthorse Ted
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: ........if you want to hear from the equine mouth.
Shan't be there. On the list of the non-runners at Prestbury Park early on Friday.