The elephants in the room

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

C.V
Paul seems like you have a whistle blower within the club
PaulGodfrey
Sometimes it can be a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. Sometimes employees see or hear something and it's not the full story or not the accurate story. By the time the information is passed on through three or four people it becomes changed even more. I've had a couple of PMs so far and one of them looks to be a classic case of this - an innocent enough situation which seems to have taken on a life of its own!
Circa 1887
That's good to know, in some respects, Paul. Are you able to confirm/deny all issues mentioned via PM, or prefer to leave it as is?
PaulGodfrey
I'm off to the training ground now as we have a very busy week with the ISO youth audit. However, if anyone has any rumours they are concerned about then PM me and I will look into them. I will respond as far as I can.

Clearly if some of them are of a personal nature then it will be difficult to respond in any detail but we'll take everything seriously.

Ultimately we're all in it together - fans, directors, players, management. There are enough teams trying to put one over on us without allowing any internal issues to distract or divide us.
Circa 1887
Good man.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PaulGodfrey wrote:I'm off to the training ground now as we have a very busy week with the ISO youth audit. However, if anyone has any rumours they are concerned about then PM me and I will look into them. I will respond as far as I can.

Clearly if some of them are of a personal nature then it will be difficult to respond in any detail but we'll take everything seriously.

Ultimately we're all in it together - fans, directors, players, management. There are enough teams trying to put one over on us without allowing any internal issues to distract or divide us.
A great closing sentiment there PG. Made me think what we, as supporters, should be doing to support and help the team.

I will not mention rumours any further and will try and keep positive.

COYR
Robin
I'm pleased to see such a postive response from Paul here. That said, in my view Mark Yates should be sacked for results this season not on the rumours surrounding him.
Malabus
Can someone also PM these rumours please. Only PM the ones relating to the football club.
Malabus
30 mins gone...no PM' s...these 'rumours' can't that much cop!
Nesty
My stance is simple, I don't care what the rumours are, or if they are true or not.
But.... If there is a problem off the field, and it is affecting the functionality of the manager and/ or playing staff or the relationship between Yates and the players then something needs to happen.
confused.com
Wouldn't it be great if we were able to have a thread concerning every forum member, in which we could openly discuss rumours about their private lives or comment on their private lives. Some of this goes well beyond what is decent and correct. Any marriage breakup is hard enough without all this garbage being thrown back and forwards
taxidave
confused.com wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we were able to have a thread concerning every forum member, in which we could openly discuss rumours about their private lives or comment on their private lives. Some of this goes well beyond what is decent and correct. Any marriage breakup is hard enough without all this garbage being thrown back and forwards
You really are a drama queen confused, nobody has made any comments about anyones' private lives other than that which is already in the public domain.
People have deliberately stopped short of mentioning anything that cannot be proved so as to avoid damaging this forum and indeed risking any libellous action against themselves.
confused.com
taxidave wrote:
confused.com wrote:Wouldn't it be great if we were able to have a thread concerning every forum member, in which we could openly discuss rumours about their private lives or comment on their private lives. Some of this goes well beyond what is decent and correct. Any marriage breakup is hard enough without all this garbage being thrown back and forwards
You really are a drama queen confused, nobody has made any comments about anyones' private lives other than that which is already in the public domain.
People have deliberately stopped short of mentioning anything that cannot be proved so as to avoid damaging this forum and indeed risking any libellous action against themselves.
If you say so, then I must be TD. Good to know that commom decency in your planet, is anything short of libel. Now gather up your kniting and off to the guillotene, you could be missing a good public show
Circa 1887
I think the rumours are deemed relevant by some, as they could be considered to be impacting on the manager's performance. Buy as Dave says, the choice is very much there for you - nobody will force you to be party to them nor will they be posted publicly.
taxidave
confused.com wrote: If you say so, then I must be TD. Good to know that commom decency in your planet, is anything short of libel. Now gather up your kniting and off to the guillotene, you could be missing a good public show
What an extremely childish reply, I expected better from you, at least you could have made the effort to spelt common, knitting and guillotine correctly. :lol: :lol:
51/84
I will not make the obvious comment
I do think the board has skirted around the elephants long enough which is why I thought I would mention them
Lance the boil
Its the footballing decisions that worry me
confused.com
taxidave wrote:
confused.com wrote: If you say so, then I must be TD. Good to know that commom decency in your planet, is anything short of libel. Now gather up your kniting and off to the guillotene, you could be missing a good public show
What an extremely childish reply, I expected better from you, at least you could have made the effort to spelt common, knitting and guillotine correctly. :lol: :lol:
Oscar Wilde must be looking on in awe

Apologises to all for any typos etc. Oh for the luxury to have nothing better to do all day apart from, re-reading posts and scurtinising others.
VeraLickleklubsBack
confused.com wrote:
And scurtinising others.
Yo! Go confused.com :lol:
stevec
The thing that i cannot fathom, especially since reading the comments following Saturday, is that i seem to have missed the point in time when CTFC became MYFC,
You support a team, Cheltenham (in case some had forgotten), i fail to see how staying away from games can aid the club you support.
Do people really think this is the only club where the manager has not been liked - think Warnock at Leeds and Rafa at Chelsea, the key is the supporters carried on attending, yes they made their feeling known with songs etc, but they still carried on coming because they support THE TEAM.
Stick pins in little Yates dolls for all i care - but support your team!!!
Before anyone comes out with the usual reposte, yes i was there Saturday and yes they were c!#p and yes i will be there against Newport, not because i am a rose tinter, Yates supporter, but because care about CTFC!
taxidave
stevec wrote:Before anyone comes out with the usual reposte, yes i was there Saturday and yes they were c!#p and yes i will be there against Newport, not because i am a rose tinter, Yates supporter, but because care about CTFC!
May I remind you that we are at Wycombe on Saturday or don't you care enough to go to that game. :lol: :lol:
solihullkev
Pretty unedifying stuff.

I am neither a Yates fan nor a protaganist for his removal, but :

- personal matters are just that

- club matters are just that and should stay in the club ; what right do we think we have to know about them ?

I think I would be rather annoyed if on my firm's intranet a director posted a comment asking for rumours to be sent to them about me. Why should we think any differently about a football club ? I cannot fathom any purpose to that request. I imagine could only assist a wrongful / constructive dismissal style claim. It is neither proper nor appropriate corporate governance.

We should accept that there are decisions we may seek to influence but we don't make nor are we privy to. That's the way business works, with a degree of confidentiality which respects privacy. If anyone wants a bit of gossip, I suggest Coronation Street.
taxidave
solihullkev wrote: If anyone wants a bit of gossip, I suggest Coronation Street.
Or you could log on to this forum. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Si Robin
solihullkev wrote:Pretty unedifying stuff.

I am neither a Yates fan nor a protaganist for his removal, but :

- personal matters are just that

- club matters are just that and should stay in the club ; what right do we think we have to know about them ?

I think I would be rather annoyed if on my firm's intranet a director posted a comment asking for rumours to be sent to them about me. Why should we think any differently about a football club ? I cannot fathom any purpose to that request. I imagine could only assist a wrongful / constructive dismissal style claim. It is neither proper nor appropriate corporate governance.

We should accept that there are decisions we may seek to influence but we don't make nor are we privy to. That's the way business works, with a degree of confidentiality which respects privacy. If anyone wants a bit of gossip, I suggest Coronation Street.
I agree with you on the whole Kev, but I think the point is that in some way, shape or form, confidentiality at the club appears to have been breached by a "source". What PG is suggesting is that rather than spread malicious rumours on this forum, either in a thread or by pm, pass it to the club where it can be looked into and investigated if needs be. Or, on the other side of the coin, completely rebuked.

If potentially slanderous rumours were being made about me, I wouldn't mind my bosses being informed of them so that I may get a chance to defend myself and put them right. I'd then expect my bosses to know enough about me as a person to believe what I say. If not, then maybe that is not a place I want to continue working.
solihullkev
Well put Si but sense of witch hunt here and inviting rumours to be forwarded seems like pouring petrol on the fire ?

From an employment perspective I have sympathy with MY - I don't consider this to be a fair approach, even if folk want him out whatever.
C.V
solihullkev wrote:Well put Si but sense of witch hunt here and inviting rumours to be forwarded seems like pouring petrol on the fire ?

From an employment perspective I have sympathy with MY - I don't consider this to be a fair approach, even if folk want him out whatever.

But if these rumours are coming from within the club the club need to find the source and remove it.After all none of us would be the wiser if the whistle blower never blabbed.
asl
C.V wrote:if these rumours are coming from within the club the club need to find the source and remove it.
You think we'll swallow someone else having hit a brick wall...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes. MY and PB may have even instructed PG to investigate. A few reasons for doing so.

Could be to help find whistle blower.
Could be to find out what the fans know if some secrets are more damaging than others.
Could be to preempt any questions on Thursday.

Truth is we don't know why PG asked, aside from he had the clubs interest at heart.
C.V
If l disclosed confidential information about my bosses or company l work for to discredit them l would if found out be righly sacked on the spot.
thetonga
Am I the only one who feels that these rumours are cropping up because of a lack of transparency from the club (eg. Billy Jones saga), yet select outsiders are divulged the information?

I don't mean to be critical but this whole "we're all in it together" attitude seems to be more of a one way relationship and if there are things internally that are covered up/ window dressed for the fans, tied in with under-performance on the pitch then can you be surprised at rumours cropping up? All we want for as fans is for the club to do well and the people in the club to be good, honest, genuine people, when things aren't going so well all we are doing is trying to do is find out where the issue is that is hindering our club meeting its potential.
taxidave
Why can't I write sensible posts like that !!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Transparency is always nice. More likely to run into a walk if it is transparent though.
Malabus
taxidave wrote:Why can't I write sensible posts like that !!
Because you are hobbling on one leg for most of the time :grin::lol:
51/84
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Transparency is always nice. More likely to run into a walk if it is transparent though.
surprised TD has not picked that one up
How do you run into a walk RCS just asking :lol:

I said months ago that someone had an agenda, dont know who, but someone did and our manager was the target.
I dont know where the rumours started from but I first became aware of them after the cricket festival.
Now its not cool if there is not a new one every time you speak to someone

The question is does it affect the team or club.

Having said that my change in stance was purely down to team selection and motivation for the match on saturday and the delusional interview.
When he came out with are you questioning my ability as a manager
I am not because I have seen the evidence with my own eyes - wanting
Perhaps he will explain all at the Thursday forum if he makes it
PaulGodfrey
As an organisation we need to know what people are saying about us. My request for information was never confined to one individual but with regard to the club generally.

I think we are transparent as a club - we don't have anything to hide. I signed Billy Jones' contract cancellation form and as far as I was aware, I was doing it because the manager felt he could replace him with a younger player at no extra cost. That may be less interesting than the rumours but I believe it to be true.

I think what often happens when a team is not fulfilling expectations is that people look for reasons. This is understandable but from what I can make out, a lot of the stuff that has been circulating is either untrue or greatly exaggerated.

I would love to know the reasons why the team is not fulfilling its potential but, then again, if we ask the players who have made mistakes that led directly to goals this season then I don't suppose they will have a clear answer why they made them.

Thank you to those people who sent me PMs and I will respond individually as soon as possible.
51/84
Thank you Paul

I have said all along that players dont go out to play badly on purpose
The only time I can recall it was M Duff against Notts county ( but that a different story)

However other teams can force mistakes especially when players are playing as individuals and not a team
This why it takes a number of games to bed a team in.
There is a fragility in a team which can be easily upset

Lets look at the CBB at RB scenario
Is he good enough , did he want to play there.
Whatever you say about him he is not going to say nois he?
So 1 player out of position.
The knock on Lowe has never played with him on the right ends up doing 2 jobs
Lowe preferred position RB but will play where told
Elliot on the bench might be a bit pissed off as will Sido ( was that the point of the exercise)
Richards plays LB not his preferred position and it showed
So if Richards had played in midfield no need for Deering to play at the base , so Sammy plays where he has done well at the top.
Gornell does not play at the top of the diamond, so 1 of the 3 strikers is upset by not playing

So it went wrong, the players or the managers fault
Where was the passion, and motivation is that the players fault or the manager

In my opinion the manager got it wrong ( and tried not to admit it) but the players didnt help him out
As I write this I begin to realise that our manager disrespected the Tamworth team by making changes he wouldnt do against a league team
The manger needs to realise he goes on about mistakes and bad decisions, well he is starting to make thenm on all kinds of level