Quiet Fans

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
I realise that we're amongst the quietest fans in the league, so we have nothing to brag about, but I was struck by the lack of atmosphere from the Wycombe fans on Saturday. Adams Park was like Whaddon Road on a bad day, and all the more surprising because their supporters usually stir up as good an atmosphere as any away fans when they've visited our place. Although I hate the Gas, fair play to their lot for always turning up and making a good racket regardless of how rubbish their team are performing.

It got me wondering which are the quietest and noisiest grounds we've visited over the years. Of course, much depends on whether there's much at stake, how big the support, accoustics, etc., but you get the drift. Accrington have very few fans, but the few they've got create a good atmosphere. I also thought Barnet made a decent din considering they don't get many through the turnstiles. Oxford, on the other hand, have much better gates but don't always lift the roof.

Which grounds, that Robins have visited, have had the least/most hostile atmosphere?
Robin
Northampton and Wycombe in league two very quiet and non-hostile.

Most loud/hostile I've encountered would be Plymuff or Rovers but that maybe because they consider us a local derby? I'm sure Pompey will blow away all league two teams though, their support is one of the best in the country.
solihullkev
Bit "atmosphere" first 30 mins yesterday with the drum. Too big a ground for 3,200 fans though.
taxidave
Our fans were very quiet yesterday as well, one lad at the back tried hard to get the fans singing and shouting but he seemed to give up after about 15 minutes. It was a bit noisier after we got the second goal but this was possibly a release of pent up anxiety.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dagenham away for Yates first win. Three remarkable feats: Alsop whipped in a cross from the right wing, Richards scored from open play, and vociferous Ruby support outsung a meek home crowd.

Swansea away was hostile - we wanted to walk the opposite way from where police were sending away fans after the game. My mum and twelve year old brothers are hardly obvious hooligans but the police would not let us through with scarves on show as they didn't think we'd make it to the car unhurt.
vickeryc
Exeter and Torquay seemed pretty docile when we played them, as were Swindon. Swindle were even quiet when they beat us 3-0!
Ashton Gate is quite a hostile environment. But the worst ground I've ever experienced was The Den in the 1970s (not watching Robins obviously), and far scarier than The New Den, where away fans are mercifully kept apart from the Millwall lot.
Robin
If we are talking outside of our league then I find the New Den very non-hostile when I have been with Chelt but I am sure it's very different if a rival club came.

Otherwise I always enjoyed the atmopshere at Cardiff (Ninian Park) and Swansea (Vetch), the way they get behind their team was worth extra points. Likewise I have always enjoyed Huddersfield, great stadium and home fans sing well for a lower league club.

At the top end Old Trafford is like a library but Man Ure away fans are very loud and hostile to home fans!! Derby, Blues, Wolves, Stoke all very good too.
Malabus
Robin wrote:If we are talking outside of our league then I find the New Den very non-hostile
Go in their end and start giving it large, opinions may change.
robinsrule
Swansea fans were loud when we got thrashed by them on Boxing Day a few years ago. Took my Turkish wife and her sister and thought they'd be impressed by the noise but they were totally underwhelmed after years of Turkish football!

I remember Wycombe fans making loads of noise at Whaddon Road in the play-offs a few years ago.

The loudest I've heard Cheltenham fans was probably either at Southend when we narrowly failed to make the play-offs, Notts County when we got relegated, or the last five minutes at Rushden after our famous comeback. Also Brentford away when we won 2-0.
Shade
Loudest I've ever heard Cheltenham fans, not at a Play-Off final, was the Torquay play-off semi away a couple of years ago and the Northampton 4-3 win back in 2003, when even the whole of the In2Print were on their feet and singing at our late comeback. When Millwall came up in around 2006 or 07, they created a wall of noise I don't think has been replicated at WR since, by Leeds, Forest or anyone.

Most intimidating away game...can't really think of one. Away at Rovers never seems to be that good an atmosphere because the ground is so rubbish that the noise just escapes and certainly don't feel threatened. I think Crewe is the only place I've even seen any trouble, and that was just a few of their fans gobbing off after a game they'd won and a few of our fans chased them down the street. Same happened before and after the play-off final against them though, so I'm guessing they've just got an abundance of assholes.
Joey
Shade wrote:Loudest I've ever heard Cheltenham fans, not at a Play-Off final, was the Torquay play-off semi away a couple of years ago and the Northampton 4-3 win back in 2003, when even the whole of the In2Print were on their feet and singing at our late comeback. When Millwall came up in around 2006 or 07, they created a wall of noise I don't think has been replicated at WR since, by Leeds, Forest or anyone.

Most intimidating away game...can't really think of one. Away at Rovers never seems to be that good an atmosphere because the ground is so rubbish that the noise just escapes and certainly don't feel threatened. I think Crewe is the only place I've even seen any trouble, and that was just a few of their fans gobbing off after a game they'd won and a few of our fans chased them down the street. Same happened before and after the play-off final against them though, so I'm guessing they've just got an abundance of assholes.
Was that the Millwall game where KO got booked and they started chanting "The referee's a racist"?
Ralph
Shade wrote:

Most intimidating away game....
Cardiff at Ninian for me. Always loved going there but you always just watched your back at the same time
Shade
Joey wrote:
Shade wrote:Loudest I've ever heard Cheltenham fans, not at a Play-Off final, was the Torquay play-off semi away a couple of years ago and the Northampton 4-3 win back in 2003, when even the whole of the In2Print were on their feet and singing at our late comeback. When Millwall came up in around 2006 or 07, they created a wall of noise I don't think has been replicated at WR since, by Leeds, Forest or anyone.

Was that the Millwall game where KO got booked and they started chanting "The referee's a racist"?
It must have been that game, but I don't remember that incident. I think 2 or 3 Millwall fans were jailed for attacking somebody in Matalan's car park after the game.

EDIT: it was a racist attack by four of them as they walked to the train station. None of them were jailed, just fined and banned from matches for 3 years.
horlickfanclub
Fans tend to cheers flying wingers,gung ho tackles and great saves. Diamonds are silent solid things that only excite with movement.
Robin
There definitely does seem to be a big divide between traditional non-league and league teams in terms of noise with some exceptions. For example I really admire the noise Accrington make despite the fact it's typical one man and his dog that turn up for their games. Likewise Northampton have reasonable gates but their fan base typically look like they are half asleep when ever I have been there. Notts County are again a similar club to the Cobblers perhaps it's because they are both second clubs in their respective home towns so the passion is lower there?
vickeryc
...possibly, but it doesn't apply everywhere. Bristol Rovers are just as vociferous as City. And no love lost when they play one another!
Chelt Luke in Glos
I think our fans are decent at most away games and the 'derby' games at home but otherwise we are not too great. In our league, Burton and Wycombe are the quietest I've known but it depends on the people who travel, for example when York came to WR they were quiet despite a loud reputation. Plymouth, Portsmouth and Rovers have the best support, Oxford fans are overrated I have never rated them, we always seem to ousting them away and they don't make much noise at WR despite 1500 supporters.

It depends who travels when our group of singers are in full voice our support is good
kora
On a per capita basis, Aldershot fans get my vote; small in numbers but BIG on noise. It starts at 2.55 and stops on the final whistle regardless of the score.
Joey
Bristol Rovers win the award for the most vile set of supporters, no matter how loud they are. I remember when we had that chap on loan from Bristol City and they were absolutely horrid to him. So far this season Portsmouth were probably the loudest for continual amounts of time.
vickeryc
Agree totally with Joey about Rovers. Vile. You'd think they were a seriously big club the way they always try to belittle the achievements of the likes of us and Yeovil. Yet, they're not even the biggest club in Bristol - City are way bigger.

Regarding loud support at Whaddon, I was impressed with Bradford last season and Wycombe in the play-offs several years ago. Their fans never stopped singing throughout in both cases. For vocal support in relation to the number of fans, I have to say Accrington do pretty well. Around 100 of them made a hell of a din when they won 2-1 here a few years ago.
Robin
Rovers seem to suffer from little dog syndrome i.e they wish they were bigger and end up miserable and snappy to try and prove they are bigger than they really are.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rovers are the best fans I have seen at Whaddon. When 1200 Gas are singing Goodnight Irene in unison the noise levels at Whaddon Road rise to a different level from anything we've come close to producing.

Used to think that if CTFC ceased overnight I'd switch to Rovers purely based on the quality of their away support.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Used to think that if CTFC ceased overnight I'd switch to Rovers purely based on the quality of their away support.
You are joking, right?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
You are joking, right?
Not at all. Still a (historic) Gloucestershire side. Yes they have the criminal/scum element who kick off away from the ground like when they smashed up Cheltenham, but when they come to Whaddon Road and sing like they do I find it inspirational. That's why I drone on about how I wish our singers would try and encourage our fans to sing like that rather doing alk they do to put people off wanting anything to do with them.
Benctfc
Hate Rovers with a passion their fans think they are better than they are and a lot are just their to cause trouble can't wait until we beat them next Tuesday.
Taz1985
vickeryc wrote:
You are joking, right?
Not at all. Still a (historic) Gloucestershire side. Yes they have the criminal/scum element who kick off away from the ground like when they smashed up Cheltenham, but when they come to Whaddon Road and sing like they do I find it inspirational. That's why I drone on about how I wish our singers would try and encourage our fans to sing like that rather doing alk they do to put people off wanting anything to do with them.
Problem with this, is that not everyone wants to try and sing like they have been put on fast forward.
vickeryc
vickeryc wrote:
You are joking, right?
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm surprised you say this given the rubbish regularly directed towards our club by Rovers' trolls. They can say what they like about us on their own site, but it's bad form deliberately winding-up our fans on here!
I appreciate that north Briz is within historic Gloucestershire, but does that mean you'd consider becoming a Gloucester City fan if they became successful and well supported? I know it would never happen, but just interested to know.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Cheltenham ceased to exist overnight then if Gloucester were to rise then they may well fill the void.
Robin
If Villa were to fold do you think clubs like ourselves or Walsall would suddenly gain extra fans?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If Villa were to fold do you think clubs like ourselves or Walsall would suddenly gain extra fans?
I was speaking for me personally.

I doubt we would, unless there are any Villa fans from/in Cheltenham.

Personally, I'd probably give up supporting football before supporting a West Midlands side.
CS85
I would rather a new cheltenham formed and go and watch them,sunday league if it had to be!.i wouldnt not watch anyone else,must be a p!## take.
C.V
CS85 wrote:I would rather a new cheltenham formed and go and watch them,sunday league if it had to be!.i wouldnt not watch anyone else,must be a p!## take.

Same here l only support one team premiership or internationals dont really do anything for me.I was born in Cheltenham its my local side and the day they pack up thats the day my interest in football ceases.I have seen some really bleak times nothing some of our NEW fans could ever imagine.
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Cheltenham ceased to exist overnight then if Gloucester were to rise then they may well fill the void.
RCS wrote:I was speaking for me personally.
Really? If CTFC folded, I wouldnt have thought you would choose Gloucester to fill your void - I would have thought that you would select something a little closer to wherever you are up north or will end up settling (if it isnt already up there somewhere).
Robin
Robin wrote:If Villa were to fold do you think clubs like ourselves or Walsall would suddenly gain extra fans?
I was speaking for me personally.

I doubt we would, unless there are any Villa fans from/in Cheltenham.

Personally, I'd probably give up supporting football before supporting a West Midlands side.

There are loads of Villa fans around Chelt and South Worcs, when I grew up they were always the nearest big club and second only to the glory hunting fan sides (Man Ure, Liverpool etc.)
taxidave
When I was a lad there used to be regular special trains to Birmingham for the Villa and Wolves games but not for the Birmingham City or WBA fixtures !
Fares were 6/- for adults and 3/- for us kids.