Brian Laws

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

bigdavejambo
sacked as Scunthorpe manager
CheltRobin
Bit of an over-reaction? (Mind you, some fans wanted Yates gone after Tamworth). They're only 2 points a play-off place!! Grimsby are 4th in the Conference, as opposed to Tamworth in 20th.
Robin
Bloody hell he had achieved far more than Yates has here and you would imagine had lower expectations than ourselves going into the start of the season. All the more evidence Yates is extremely lucky to still have a job?
horlickfanclub
we cannot afford to sack him
CheltRobin
The board don't want to anyway - I think they are right for the moment, but we need to see how we do upto New Year.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:we cannot afford to sack him
I don't believe that and have not heard it from anyone close the club. The issue is more that PB wants to persist with Yates and has faith he can turn things around.
Old Coventrian
Robin wrote:Bloody hell he had achieved far more than Yates has here and you would imagine had lower expectations than ourselves going into the start of the season. All the more evidence Yates is extremely lucky to still have a job?

thats debatable, Yates has a higher win/draw rate and lower lose rate than Laws had at Scunthorpe
Robin
Laws took Scunny up as Champions on a shoestring budget a season after they narrowly survived relegation though!
taxidave
Old Coventrian wrote: thats debatable, Yates has a higher win/draw rate and lower lose rate than Laws had at Scunthorpe
Scunthorpe P16 W6 D6 L4 GF17 GA19 Pts24
Cheltenham P16 W5 D5 L6 GF23 GA28 Pts20
I don't know what league table you are looking at.
leohoenig
I think the record referred to is Laws recent spell as manager
Pld 52, W 17, D14 L 21. PPG 1.25 [Not certain if this includes cups) compared to Yates
Pld 205, W 77, D 54, L 74 PPG 1.39
taxidave
I don't believe in looking back, you have to be judged on present results.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How many games would you include in present results Dave? If we look at the last one then Yates is top notch, two games and it's 50/50 and 5 games it's only one defeat so ain't bad.
Malabus
It's a cruel game.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:How many games would you include in present results Dave? If we look at the last one then Yates is top notch, two games and it's 50/50 and 5 games it's only one defeat so ain't bad.
I think you have to judge the present season.
C.V
Malabus wrote:It's a cruel game.

But very very rewarding look at the money these sacked managers have made out of it.Theres not many jobs you get paid up if you are a failiure you usually just get your month in hand.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:
Malabus wrote:It's a cruel game.

But very very rewarding look at the money these sacked managers have made out of it.Theres not many jobs you get paid up if you are a failiure you usually just get your month in hand.
Least footy managers only get a big pay-out for losing a few games of football - bankers in recent years got huge pay-offs for destroying the economy and gambling everyone's pensions...and don't get me started on the BBC.

Laws is one of those managers who will pop again before too long and do another mediocre job.
CheltRobin
RCS - Laws' record at Scunny is certainly better than medicore - think he got them promoted on at least 2 occassionS, then led them to mid-table in L1 before he left for Sheff Weds. A pretty good achievement based on their attendances / budget - be over the moon if Chelt could do the same.
Cinderford robin
Robin Scunthorpe would have higher expectations than we would have, slightly bigger gates and recently been in the championship.I feel your vendetta against yates is personal, I bet your disappointed the rumours about billy jones is not true. Im glad the board are sticking with yates, 9 points off the top of the league im happy with that, two wins in the next week we could be in the play offs.
Si Robin
CheltRobin wrote:RCS - Laws' record at Scunny is certainly better than medicore - think he got them promoted on at least 2 occassionS, then led them to mid-table in L1 before he left for Sheff Weds. A pretty good achievement based on their attendances / budget - be over the moon if Chelt could do the same.
Those achievements are 7-8 years ago. He's been nothing but a resounding failure since wherever he's been, including taking Scunthorpe down last season and then struggling to maintain any form this season. From what I've seen from Scunthorpe fans on Twitter and other sites, the Grimsby result was the excuse the board needed.
Robin
Cinderford robin wrote:Robin Scunthorpe would have higher expectations than we would have, slightly bigger gates and recently been in the championship.I feel your vendetta against yates is personal, I bet your disappointed the rumours about billy jones is not true. Im glad the board are sticking with yates, 9 points off the top of the league im happy with that, two wins in the next week we could be in the play offs.
You're back Cinders! I must admit I did miss your posts but I'm not sure why you think I have a personnal vendetta against Yates when I was one of the last to move over into the Yates out camp. The fact is we are massively underacheiving this season and the match day experience has become simply awful, there is jus tno enjoyment in going anymore.
Cinderford robin
I must admit im frustrated with how the season is going but we are in funny position that if we can get some consistency together we have a good chance of pushung for them play offs. Ig we can get behind yates and the team who knows. If we are in a relegation scrap vome feb my thoughts might change......... I always scroll the nest every day but can be botherd to post most of the time.
Robin
I was like you for a long time, I kept believing that we had the players and if we cut out the silly mistakes we would dramatically improve but over recent weeks it only seems to have got worse. The problem is a few positive results appear to have glazed over that.

What scares me most of all is by backing Yates longer he will either turn it around (nobody will be happier than me) or leave us in a worse mess than where he started.
Taz1985
If we are in a relegation scrap come Feb and Yates is still in charge, we can say bye bye to our league status.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:I was like you for a long time, I kept believing that we had the players and if we cut out the silly mistakes we would dramatically improve but over recent weeks it only seems to have got worse. The problem is a few positive results appear to have glazed over that.

What scares me most of all is by backing Yates longer he will either turn it around (nobody will be happier than me) or leave us in a worse mess than where he started.
Other than the Tamworth result, how can you have any justification that it has got worse considering our results?
taxidave
Si Robin wrote:
Robin wrote:I was like you for a long time, I kept believing that we had the players and if we cut out the silly mistakes we would dramatically improve but over recent weeks it only seems to have got worse. The problem is a few positive results appear to have glazed over that.

Other than the Tamworth result, how can you have any justification that it has got worse considering our results?
Simon you are forgetting that robin does not do away games and so will have missed creditable performances at Dagenham (where we won), Northampton (where we should have won easily) and Wycombe (where we won).
triggo
ah lies.lies and damn lies