WTF - Lowe gone to York?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Stroudie wrote:
Si Robin wrote:I agree Shade, he took his eye off the ball once and won't do so again. He knows how to run a football club much better than any person on this message board and I agree, he should be left to keep running the club as he sees fit.
Is that right?

Consider the following.

I work in an engineering environment.

I tell my boss if we buy this fantastic new machine for £50K (let's call it a Duffy) it will give us the edge on our competitors and produce increased profits. He says ok but this better get results. Sure enough, we buy the machine and in the first five months our business increases and we are kicking the ar$e of our competitors. At that point I move the new machine into the corner of the workshop and throw a dust sheet over it. The companies performance drops off, and by the end of the accounting period we have failed to reach our target despite being well ahead at the half way point. Do you think I would still be in a job at this point?

However my boss shows no sign of discontent and even talks about my new contract. I promise to make good on my mistake. I manage to convince my boss we can turn the company into market leaders by purchasing another new machine for £50K (let's call this one a Harrad). He agrees but alas last years performance is repeated. Am I still in a job at this point?

I now think I am untouchable and to prove it I tell my boss we need to by an old second hand machine last used by Brunel (this one is called a Vincent). To my amazement my boss and his board of directors think this is a good idea. Needless to say we never use this machine.

I then start pi$$ing off some of the staff so much they want to leave and we have to pay compensation to get rid of them.

Never mind, my boss still thinks I'm great.

In any other industry Yates would have been fired months ago.
So I've got this right, in relation to my point (well Shade's, but I agreed with him wholeheartedly and it's me you quoted) about Baker being the best man to run our football club, you are saying he isn't? Then you use the fact that Yates has allegedly failed to reach his target (we'll ignore the fact that his target hasn't been promotion and that we've been told on more than one occasion that even reaching the playoffs is an overachievement) and is rumoured (no actual evidence, with the main rumour being scotched yesterday as well) to be annoying players as the reason Baker shouldn't be running the club.

Please, Oracle, provide a better alternative to Paul Baker. Not only that, name 5 Football League chairmen who have done a better job over as long a time. Steve Gibson aside, I can't think of one.
arobinsfan
Si Robin wrote:
Stroudie wrote:
Si Robin wrote:
Please, Oracle, provide a better alternative to Paul Baker. Not only that, name 5 Football League chairmen who have done a better job over as long a time. Steve Gibson aside, I can't think of one.
What about the Everton Chairman?
Si Robin
Everton are in the Premier League, not the Football League.
arobinsfan
Si Robin wrote: Then you use the fact that Yates has allegedly failed to reach his target (we'll ignore the fact that his target hasn't been promotion and that we've been told on more than one occasion that even reaching the play off's is an over achievement)
We have been losing supporters for a few seasons, could the above be the reason, "the play off's an over achievement" Are we seen by would be supporters as a club with no ambition? there for can see no reason to watch CTFC. Surly if the play off's is the most we can ever achieve then what is the point, they will ask.
taxidave
I think the Board had ambition last season and put a lot of money into a promotion push but sadly that failed and this season will be one of consolidation with hopefully another promotion push next season. But the lead has to come from above as fans will not turn up in any great numbers unless they can see that the club has got ambition and unfortunately the sounds coming out of the boardroom do nothing to encourage would be fans to flock to Whaddon Road at the moment. Talk of losses and cuts in the playing budget will not bring fans back, they will only return when they can see that the club means business both on and off the pitch. It is all very well having open forums like the recent one but perhaps it would be better if certain matters, especially financial problems were kept behind closed doors until they have been resolved, as such gloomy messages do nothing to get additional fans through the turnstiles.
THECHOIRBOY
Robin wrote:
THECHOIRBOY wrote:
Robin wrote:I am genuinely surprised someone would pay us a fee for Lowe, I can only assume it's a very small one i.e £10k or something daft.
But we are a league 2 club and 10k remains a good amount of money if it was something like that! That would be a loan from January to end of season I would guess

Any money is definitely good money!!
You are kidding right? How much do you think we pay our players?

Erm...no I am not! By my calculation you are looking at approx £600 a week. I am speculating a bit but I think we probably pay a contribution to most loan wages, rather than 100%, and believe that in todays economic climate we could get a half decent loan in for that.

Alternatively, add it to Lowes wage and I think we get a very very good loan player in
vcinthestand
you dont get much for less than £1.5K/week
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vcinthestand wrote:you dont get much for less than £1.5K/week
As he said it all depends on the contribution we make to the salary. If we negotiate to pay 25% of a loanees wage then £600 a week will get a decent player for example.
Alf
Si Robin wrote:I agree Shade, he took his eye off the ball once and won't do so again. He knows how to run a football club much better than any person on this message board
That is typical of some of the comments that appear on this site.
How can anybody say with certainty that if someone was given the amount of money that PB has and asked to run the football club they would not be able to do better, or indeed worse. I am not criticising the Chairman, rather the post.
Baron
I understand it that Keith requested the move as he realised that he was second choice, rightly or wrongly. He's a loss but it depends who's brought in.
Robin
Baron wrote:I understand it that Keith requested the move as he realised that he was second choice, rightly or wrongly. He's a loss but it depends who's brought in.
Are you seriously suggesting it has taken him two seasons to work out he is not first choice here? ;)
51/84
Surely its taken him to 2yrs for someone who was willing to give him a 2 year contract