So what do we need

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Is it a RB cover or LB cover or CB cover
A left mid or a winger
Experienced loanee to sit on the bench a championship youngster as cover or a prem loanee who must play like Butland and Garbutt

I notice that MY said hopefully he can bring in cover until January
So does that mean some more wheeling and dealing in the window
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would like versatile defender who can cover or start either centrally or on at least one side.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I would like versatile defender who can cover or start either centrally or on at least one side.
Someone like the feller York have just signed, perhaps...?
taxidave
We definitely need someone who can play at CB because Elliott won't be able to play in every game and come January we will need a left back when CBB's loan ends.
Si Robin
CBB has signed permanently Dave.
taxidave
Si Robin wrote:CBB has signed permanently Dave.
Then perhaps someone ought to update the official site because that states that he is on loan until january.
I don't know why I bother to log into that official site, it is a load of bollox and if you take what is says as the truth then it makes you out to be a right idiot when you re-post it on here. :x
C.V
We need to see this awful season out hopefully stay up and say our fond farewell's to Mr Yates.Get a new manager in and hope the board will back the new manager to help us push for better things.Otherwise there will be two less season tickets bought in this houshold.
cliffy90
Lewin Nyatanga from Barnsley would be a good loan signing, he's a versatile defender.
Si Robin
taxidave wrote:
Then perhaps someone ought to update the official site because that states that he is on loan until january.
I don't know why I bother to log into that official site, it is a load of bollox and if you take what is says as the truth then it makes you out to be a right idiot when you re-post it on here. :x
Just for clarity Dave ;)

http://mobile.ctfc.com/news/article/b-b ... 99-001-001
taxidave
Si Robin wrote:
taxidave wrote:
Just for clarity Dave ;)

http://mobile.ctfc.com/news/article/b-b ... 99-001-001
It rather contradicts this.....
http://www.ctfc.com/team/player-profile ... uri=929714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder which one we should believe. :? :? :?
Robin
We need a decent left back, a left winger and centre back cover. So three players needed and probably one more to go out (Vincent).
51/84
I totally agree with what you say Robin ( shock horror) but do we have any cover for RB now.
Troy or perhaps McGlashan. Could Hanks do a job
Also Yates said a couple and we have Richards who can cover LB ( shouldd play there until we get a decent LB)

If we can get a CB who covers RB or RB who covers CB that would be one
If we get a winger in do we go 4-4-2 and abandon the diamond.
I accept perhaps going 4-5-1 away but at home who are the middle 2
theidlerich
Quote from Robin...."We need a decent left back, a left winger and centre back cover. So three players needed and probably one more to go out (Vincent)."
I would add a decent striker to that wish list.
Nesty
We need to employ a system that allows the three strikers we have to score goals.
kags
We have 3 good (20 goal?) strikers at the club already, they just need to be used properly as like last season.
Robin
theidlerich wrote:Quote from Robin...."We need a decent left back, a left winger and centre back cover. So three players needed and probably one more to go out (Vincent)."
Seriously? Which one of Curo, Terry and Byron is not decent for this league?
taxidave
Robin wrote:
theidlerich wrote:Quote from Robin...."We need a decent left back, a left winger and centre back cover. So three players needed and probably one more to go out (Vincent)."
Seriously? Which one of Curo, Terry and Byron is not decent for this league?
Robin you were not at Tamworth. :roll:
Dave Beesley
I think whichever defender does come in, he will be for the first 11. Which Championship bench warmer is going to come here to warm the bench?
51/84
With or if Sido is back to something like his best, Troy and Stevie getting sorted and superman CBB why do we need defenders other than cover
We are not going to sell anyone else or punt anyone from the defence before January.
So cover only. I would like to see cover but preferably a quality LB firstly, but Yates will stand by CBB.
Again as I said the diamond appears to be working at least as far as the manager is concerned so again a left winger does not fit into that so I can only see a LW if AV goes out.
I think we may see 2 defenders coming in 1 experienced and one youth loan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Keith Lowe was good cover.
51/84
I didnt say he wasnt, but it was good business all round
2nd choice CB /RB 8 months left on contract
We get him off the wage bill and make get a transfer fee
KL gets a 2 yr contract , signing on fee and regular football

I wonder what his agent got out of it

The question is what will MY do now.
He has already missed 2 loans he wanted ( does that include the one he wanted 10 days ago- not sure)
Nesty
so........ new loan likely either to be cover , or replacement for a LB who was supposedly better (or cheaper) than the one we already had. Smacks of someone not knowing what they are doing.
CheltRobin
I STILL don't undertsand why Yates has booted out Lowe - after all, he made a clear point at the Fans Forum that he wanted players in his squad that could play in 2 positions - surelt then, Lowe WAS 1 of those?!? (Totally unlike CBB who CAN'T!!)

Ideally, we need - 2 CB's, 1 LB, 1 RB + a player that can take set pieces (Noble certainly can't on his performance on Sat - absolutely dreadful corners) and also someone who can cross the box effectively on the run into the box where our strikers our.

Apart from that - everything's rosy!!

Just a quick synopsis of Sat's match - pretty awful throughout from Chelt until the 2nd half subs (but no team deserved to win), Newport passed the ball and looked a little more dangerous in the 1st half, but other than that it was a bore draw - always looking like 1 - bloody freezing as well!! Nothing to cheer about to warm me up!!

Still, I guess we didn't lose, didn't concede and didn't drop any places in the League - sort of positive in the end then?!?

Attendance didn't surprise me - can't see it being much higher tomorrow - Champions League and all that....

Just hope that Yates has got some supermen lined up to come in on loan - the Lowe loaning out could be a pivitol moment....
Si Robin
I don't like Lowe going, but £5k in January (allegedly), Lowe wanting to get games, and the chance of better players coming in make the deal sound. Assuming the players coming in are better.

The jury is still out until Lowe has been replaced.
Taz1985
Yates did not "Boot Out" Lowe at all.

Lowe's agent asked Yates if he could leave. An agent is going to check with the player before asking his manager that, so I would say it was Lowe who wanted to leave.
Robin
So given the fact Lowe has been playing more this season and has a good chance of regular football he suddenly decides he wants to leave after two years as cover?
51/84
a 2yr contract plus signing on fee and 1st team football v 2nd choice and 6 months left on contract and then got to find a new club/deal in the summer

No brainer
CheltRobin
Whatever the reasons - the squad is poorer for the departure of Lowe. I wait with baited breath for the loanees.....
ghandi
What we need is yatesy to see the light with team selection & formation.I've always thought football management should be about playing your best players in there best positions.Yatesy can't seem to crasp this,he makes the same mistakes over & over again.So your best midfielders in the club are Penn,Noble & Richards.Add Mcglasan to give some width.Forwards,Harrison (if he's in the right frame of mind),if not put Gornell up with Cureton and see if they jell.Back four & keeper picks it's self at the moment.Diamonds are not for ever Yatesy.
Nesty
ghandi wrote:What we need is yatesy to see the light with team selection & formation.I've always thought football management should be about playing your best players in there best positions.Yatesy can't seem to crasp this,he makes the same mistakes over & over again.So your best midfielders in the club are Penn,Noble & Richards.Add Mcglasan to give some width.Forwards,Harrison (if he's in the right frame of mind),if not put Gornell up with Cureton and see if they jell.Back four & keeper picks it's self at the moment.Diamonds are not for ever Yatesy.
That's far too sensible
THECHOIRBOY
Nesty wrote:
ghandi wrote:What we need is yatesy to see the light with team selection & formation.I've always thought football management should be about playing your best players in there best positions.Yatesy can't seem to crasp this,he makes the same mistakes over & over again.So your best midfielders in the club are Penn,Noble & Richards.Add Mcglasan to give some width.Forwards,Harrison (if he's in the right frame of mind),if not put Gornell up with Cureton and see if they jell.Back four & keeper picks it's self at the moment.Diamonds are not for ever Yatesy.
That's far too sensible
But when that was tried at the start of the season we were not picking up points. It may not be pretty but at the moment the diamond is grinding out some points and a bit of stability.
Shade
And what formation midfield fits those 4 players, given that Richards ended up leaving Shrewsbury because he played a season on the left and was so poor they let him go? Yates has played those 4 players together and it didn't work as well as the current diamond which includes Taylor, and Penn is currently out of the side for playing c!#p for a couple of games - something he admitted himself.

I don't see why people want to change a formation so badly that hasn't lost for 5 league games and has finally kept a couple of clean sheets. He tried every other formation and everybody moaned like hell that Yates didn't know what he was doing. Now he's found a solid one that means we're not getting beaten, he doesn't know what he's doing.
Si Robin
How dare you make a sensible post Shade?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Formation seems to be working fine.

Lowe is only good business if we replace him - if we get an injury or suspension at the back and we lose promotion costing points due to no cover then that is not worth £5k.

The day we sign cover is the day we can judge whether it was a good move - as it stands our squad is too light on defenders.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Formation seems to be working fine.

Lowe is only good business if we replace him - if we get an injury or suspension at the back and we lose relegation avoiding points due to no cover then that is not worth £5k.

The day we sign cover is the day we can judge whether it was a good move - as it stands our squad is too light on defenders.
I have corrected your post. :lol: :lol: :lol: