Contrasting goalless draws

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
I was struck by the contrast in quality and entertainment on view in our last two games at Whaddon. The only similarity, apart from the scorelines, was that there were relatively few attempts on goal. Newport were clearly a good team and we did well to contain them - I was content with a draw in the end. Rovers, conversely, were awful and we were just as bad. Like Saturday, a draw was probably a fair outcome but for completely different reasons.

I don't often come away feeling really disgruntled when we've avoided defeat, but last night I did. Rovers were there for the taking and we blew it. Yes, John Ward set them up to be hard to beat, but I don't agree that they played their system well. Their touch and passing were even more woeful than ours - I lost count of the times they passed it into touch. We simply failed to capitalise on the possession they kept gifting us, and they could even have sneaked a scarcely deserved win. Neither side deserved three points last night, whereas on Saturday both sides were unlucky not to register a win.
solihullkev
Rovers were very poor technically I thought.

To my mind Yates got the subs spot on on Saturday - we got a grip after that. Subs did not work for me last night - McGlashan hardly got in the game, did Kotwica get more than 3 touches, Harrison did ok at best but I thought Gornell was playing well - I would have taken Cureton off.