Don't cut off your head to cure a headache.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
We should support this Cheltenham legend to the very end.

Mark Yates Ruby Army.
Robin
I think he has shown enough to keep his job until January at the least. Still doesn't account for so many bizarre team selections and signings though.
RED ROB
I'm happy with the turn around, sorted us out defensively and push on from there.
Agreed Tuesday's performance was not good against the worst Rovers side I've seen but I think the signs are looking reasonably good.
Great away result yesterday where it could have been three points but we are on the right lines.
Jebolani
Bizarre signings? Vincent off the top of my head being the only one. Although I suspect that was a panic buy slightly.
Robin
Signing midfielders when we had no defenders anyone?
Jebolani
CB's - Goldson, Elliott, Brown (Taylor at a push)
LB's - CBB, Richards (Sido)
RB's - Sido, Goldson.

Agreed we lack depth, but one goal conceded in 270 tells you what you need to know.
C.V
Jebolani wrote:CB's - Goldson, Elliott, Brown (Taylor at a push)
LB's - CBB, Richards (Sido)
RB's - Sido, Goldson.

Agreed we lack depth, but one goal conceded in 270 tells you what you need to know.

Love it also tells you one goal scored in 270 minutes tells you what you need to know :lol: :lol:
Jebolani
Yep, because scoring goals has been such a massive problem for us this season hasn't it. That's why we brought in wingers, btw - to create more opportunities.
C.V
Jebolani wrote:Yep, because scoring goals has been such a massive problem for us this season hasn't it. That's why we brought in wingers, btw - to create more opportunities.

Ah so the wingers we had were not good enough then wonder what twat signed them then
Jebolani
The same 'twat' who took us from the brink of relegation to consecutive play-off finishes. There really are some absolute morons on here. Jesus.
C.V
Jebolani wrote:The same 'twat' who took us from the brink of relegation to consecutive play-off finishes. There really are some absolute morons on here. Jesus.

And blew it both times with his insane team selections Duffy froze out all season then thrown in for a play off semi insane same as he couldnt take Kiddy over the final hurdel.Mr nearly man not Jesus but fact
vcinthestand
CV is right Yates is nearly man
This may however suit the board
Everything is going OK
Could we hack it in the league above answer no
Have the board the ambition no
So while we may dream MY does the job expected so is safe
Get over it CV - change the record
taxidave
Jebolani wrote:The same 'twat' who took us from the brink of relegation to consecutive play-off finishes. There really are some absolute morons on here. Jesus.
I am glad it wasn't me who said that otherwise Ralph would have been on to warn me that it is that sort of talk that has put people off posting on here.
But I suppose everyone else can abuse as much as they like, Reliant Robin was allowed to question people's I.Qs yesterday and not a word of warning said to him.
Come on Ralph let's have a bit of equality on here or is that too much to ask from a Yank.
Jebolani
The only reason people are put off from posting in here is because of the lack of positivity in here. It's either 'YATES OUT' or 'HE'S TAKEN US AS FAR AS HE CAN'. Never anything positive in here anymore.
taxidave
Jebolani wrote:The only reason people are put off from posting in here is because of the lack of positivity in here. It's either 'YATES OUT' or 'HE'S TAKEN US AS FAR AS HE CAN'. Never anything positive in here anymore.
But does that give you the right to call those who post such messages morons ?
Jebolani
I'm not bothered really, what right does anyone have to say anything?
vcinthestand
a war or two was fought to protect free speech
C.V
vcinthestand wrote:CV is right Yates is nearly man
Everything is going OK

Sorry to correct you but is everything actually going alright.Paul Baker told the fans at the forum we were looking at making a £150k loss.That was prior to these three loans coming in.We have had a donation from someone of £500k to improve the squad that is now being used to cover losses.These new players are'nt coming in for free so l dare say we will be looking at a substantial dip into the dwindling pot of money.
Last edited by C.V on 01 Dec 2013, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
taxidave
vcinthestand wrote:a war or two was fought to protect free speech
Perhaps you could tell Ralph that.
Malabus
taxidave wrote:
vcinthestand wrote:a war or two was fought to protect free speech
Perhaps you could tell Ralph that.
He might come in late with his comments/thoughts.
vcinthestand
C.V wrote:
vcinthestand wrote:CV is right Yates is nearly man
Everything is going OK

Sorry to correct you but is everything actually going alright.Paul Baker told the fans at the forum we were looking at making a £150k loss.That was prior to these three loans coming in.We have had a donation from someone of £500k to improve the squad that is now being used to cover losses.These new players are'nt coming in for free so l dare say we will be looking at a substantial dip into the dwindling pot of money.
Firstly the budget is set by the board not MY
Secondly there was an explaination by Director and clyb sec Paul Godfrey how the draw down worked
Thirdly MY was told to get some out to bring some in , so two out 1 big/average/low earner ( deprending who you believe) and one kid
So yet again MY is getting things right
Is he the next SAF unlikely but hes good enough for little old CTFC
Get off his back and the players and support YOUR club
When did you last say anything positive
C.V
I have always supported the players its just a shame the manager doesn't know how to use them thats the problem. We have some fantastic players yet time and again we see players played out of position or if they are unlucky frozen out.
Robin
Jebolani wrote:The only reason people are put off from posting in here is because of the lack of positivity in here. It's either 'YATES OUT' or 'HE'S TAKEN US AS FAR AS HE CAN'. Never anything positive in here anymore.
There is plenty of scope to post positively (Cinderford Robin has done it without insults). In my eyes the issue is that most fans do not see many positives to highlight.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:
Jebolani wrote:Yep, because scoring goals has been such a massive problem for us this season hasn't it. That's why we brought in wingers, btw - to create more opportunities.

Ah so the wingers we had were not good enough then wonder what twat signed them then
CV, managerial ability and being a twat have nothing to do with each other. Some very twattish people are good managers and some very untwattish people make bad managers and vice versa.

Are you saying Mark Yates is a twat? Seems a bit harsh to me.
RedRobin
As a regular reader but infrequent poster I feel compelled to post my agreement with Malabus on this.

Although so far this season has been disappointing; Mark Yates has earned our patience and the Club's loyalty.

Yates inherited a complete mess from Martin Allen. A team with no spirit, no character and that had little fight. He rebuilt the side recruiting with skill and showing a great eye for players. The following seasons have been fantastic. Two play off finishes, plus some great cup ties. In short Yates put Cheltenham back together again.

Yates derserves credit for this. As CV says himself we have some fantastic players and Yates should be credited with recruiting them.

Although the close season recruitment was again promising (Cureton, Richards, Brown, Gornell), this season has so far been disappointing. The defence has conceded too many goals. I did not understand the decision to let Alan Bennett go last January who had really helped to organise our defence. And had he still been in the side I feel that out leage position would be much healthier. However now the defence appears to be improving, which is good news.

Some appear to believe that a dip in form and performances from what we have become used to over the last two years should trigger the sack. I cannot agree. The last two years have earned Yates some credit. And I am glad that Paul Baker and the board take a longer view. I am also not enthused by any of the touted replacements and remember managers like Allen, Chris Robinson and others taking apart teams that had the potential for success. We have a good set of players here and I dont want to see this team taken apart.

Finally imagine in your own life if you had achieved two years of great results at work, or with your studies. It would be pretty harsh if you were sacked for the first period of underperformance. Instead you should be shown faith and support to get back on track and back to the level of performance you have shown you are capable of. Yates deserves the same.
Shade
Robin wrote:
There is plenty of scope to post positively (Cinderford Robin has done it without insults). In my eyes the issue is that most fans do not see many positives to highlight.
And this is why we don't bother. I've just come on here and read half a dozen pages which are more than half full of positives, but the same old usernames keep popping up and refusing to acknowledge that not everybody thinks that CTFC is doomed, because they "know" better. Legends in their own minds.

Pig headed people who believe their dark and moody opinion is right and sod everyone else. I'm taking my positivity elsewhere, where it doesn't get dragged down every day.