Steve Cotterill

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

robinsrule
There's no way Burnley are bigger than Bristol City - there were less than 11,000 at Turf Moor tonight and they'd have gone top with a win. Even we'd get close to crowds like that if we were top of the Championship!
asl
Ralph wrote:asl edited your post before in the other thread
That was the one where Mal came out. I decided it wasn't the right place to do that and suggest a You Tube video might be more appropriate.
Andy
asl wrote:
That was the one where Mal came out. I decided it wasn't the right place to do that and suggest a You Tube video might be more appropriate.
I think the day Mal comes out, it will be just as big a surprise as finding out Tom Daley is bi.
Malabus
asl wrote:
That was the one where Mal came out. I decided it wasn't the right place to do that.
Think you would have made that a sticky.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
mattyboi wrote:
SC was never assistant manager at Stoke, he was incharge, he left stoke to be assistant at Sunderland in the premiership!
Sorry my error. I meant when he left Stoke to be ass man at Sunderland in a higher division.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:Best manager we have ever had no others have come any where near.If he hadn't of been here Baker would probably not have put himself forward to be Chairman.He knew we had a gem and he backed him if Hayward had remained we would still be playing non league football as he or the other directors never had the money to take us to the next level.Good luck to Steve hope he turns it around at Bristol City and proves the doubters wrong.
How high up League One did Cotterill take us?
Si Robin
Its relative RCS, if Cotterill hadn't taken us up 3 divisions, then Ward would never have taken us up 1.

Cotterill, beyond any doubt, is the club's best ever manager.
kago
some could argue that it is Mark Yates as he saved us from falling out of the football league and returned stability to the club.
He prevented administration and or going bankrupt.
Mr C spent a shed ( no pun intended)load of money picking up players cheap from our near neighbours
The amount of money he paid out then would have bought a substantial team in the last close season
mattyboi
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
C.V wrote:Best manager we have ever had no others have come any where near.If he hadn't of been here Baker would probably not have put himself forward to be Chairman.He knew we had a gem and he backed him if Hayward had remained we would still be playing non league football as he or the other directors never had the money to take us to the next level.Good luck to Steve hope he turns it around at Bristol City and proves the doubters wrong.
How high up League One did Cotterill take us?
Id have been willing to put a large sum of money on him keeping us in league 1 had he not have gone to Stoke. He would have done a much better job than Allner and Gould did.
Andy
mattyboi wrote:Id have been willing to put a large sum of money on him keeping us in league 1 had he not have gone to Stoke. He would have done a much better job than Allner and Gould did.
Personally, I think he knew he had brought us as far as we could go with the funds at the time and jumped ship before we slid back down. Dont blame him, as I expect the funds were not there to make a League 1 squad at that time.
Robin
robinsrule wrote:There's no way Burnley are bigger than Bristol City - there were less than 11,000 at Turf Moor tonight and they'd have gone top with a win. Even we'd get close to crowds like that if we were top of the Championship!
Guess it's how you define bigger but I have always thought of Burnley as a bigger club than Bristol City who in my mind have always been a yo-yo club between the 2nd and 3rd tiers. Granted they have potential to do much better but so do plenty of clubs including us.
robinsrule
Robin - I'd agree that historically Burnley are bigger achievers but Brizzle has a much bigger fanbase and potential.... Which is clearly not being fulfilled at the moment!

SC took us from nowhere to League 1, so there is no contest as far as I'm concerned in terms of our best ever manager. We weren't even a big Conference club, we'd never finished in the top 10 and we had no right to compete at the top of the league, let alone finish second then first as well as winning at Wembley.
RED ROB
I'm with you there Andy but don't share Robins view we would be getting crowds of 11,000 if we were topping the Championship.
Think it would be a lot less myself, we couldn't sell out against Forest and Leeds when we were booming.
Robin
RED ROB wrote:I'm with you there Andy but don't share Robins view we would be getting crowds of 11,000 if we were topping the Championship.
Think it would be a lot less myself, we couldn't sell out against Forest and Leeds when we were booming.
Where did I say that Rob? But that said if we were near the top of the Championship I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't get those sorts of crowds.
Old Coventrian
RED ROB wrote:I'm with you there Andy but don't share Robins view we would be getting crowds of 11,000 if we were topping the Championship.
It would have to be a lot less unless we expanded the ground first!
Ralph
Yeovil only got about 5800 for a home game against Blackpool last night . The newness rubs off after a while
RED ROB
Apologies robin, it was robinsrule's post where 11,000 was mentioned.
I just don't think we could get 11,000 even if we had the ground or were top of the Championship.
Local support for us is c**p.
Can remember Yeovil getting bigger crowds than that in the Conference many years ago.
Apologies again robin.
Robin
I agree with all of the immediate posts but I do feel being top of the Championship is very different as soon as people got a sense of potential Premiership football then I believe it would be very different. I am sure if we could somehow offer top flight football we would pull crowds of 15,000+ every week - look at Wigan as an example!
Alf
I thought we sold out against Leeds? Or was it just rammed where I was standing?
I think if we had a decent side in the top half of div one we could fill the ground for home games. If you can fill the away end with cash paying customers, it helps, instead of a bus load of people from Accrington. I think it frightened the board a bit when we went to div 1, took them out of their comfort zone.
Si Robin
We sold out the first time, second time we didn't (and that was a Saturday game).

Not forgetting also that there were plenty of Leeds fans in the home end.
Robin
But guys this was in league one (at the bottom I may add) things would be very different if we were near the top of the league above I am sure.

My expectation of what average attendences would be as follows... in league one 4500 (mid-table) or 5500 (towards the top), Championship 6000 (towards the bottom), 10,000 (at the top).
confused.com
Robin wrote:But guys this was in league one (at the bottom I may add) things would be very different if we were near the top of the league above I am sure.

My expectation of what average attendences would be as follows... in league one 4500 (mid-table) or 5500 (towards the top), Championship 6000 (towards the bottom), 10,000 (at the top).
Haven't got the time are the inclination to do the research on this, but from memory, gates in the conference where on a level if not higher than current gates. So I don't see how anyone can extrapolate attendance figures for positions in higher leagues. We have a core fan base which has not and probably will not vary much. Figures may go up if visiting teams bring bigger crowds or if we where to reach the championship and have a few 'premium' teams turning up. However, League 1, I don't believe would see any significant increase in numbers (unless we were pressing for promotion).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we got to the top championship and some of the teams up there.....could sell 3,000 away tickets to some of them.

Be like when Wimbledon were in the prem. If we got to the top flight our true fanbase would be the same but much of the home end would be people come to support man u or local Liverpool fans coming to support against man u etc. Craven cottage sells 25000 each game but at least 10000 only come as it's the premiership.
Robin
Both Fulham and Wigan were getting similar attendences to ourselves not long ago so does show how much gates would likely increase.

Also to follow RCS point if we went up Wolves could bring 5000 here if we had space, just an example and why the new stand is required if we do get back up.

Also Confused our conference gates were generally c!#p, around 1500 average during our first spell, 2000 average our first season back only then did they take off but even when we won the league the average was similar to what we have now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed Robin. Fulham got 2,000 for home games sometimes in Division Three.

Also agree a new stand is fundamental to any progress we make.
Carthorse Ted
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed Robin. Fulham got 2,000 for home games sometimes in Division Three.

As is a team to justify and fill it. Remember 1962 and our club's decision to build a new stand without the crowd to sustain it. Hereford, with a cr@p ground, instead bought John Charles and got into the Football League many, many years before CTFC.
Robin
You need to balance both Carthouse Ted.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Carthorse Ted wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed Robin. Fulham got 2,000 for home games sometimes in Division Three.

As is a team to justify and fill it. Remember 1962 and our club's decision to build a new stand without the crowd to sustain it. Hereford, with a cr@p ground, instead bought John Charles and got into the Football League many, many years before CTFC.
And which club is in better shape now?

Whoever insisted our stand got built had long-term vision beyond the capabilities of most decision makers.

If a new stand now meant Championship stability in 50 years then it is a good investment.
Carthorse Ted
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Carthorse Ted wrote:

And which club is in better shape now?

Whoever insisted our stand got built had long-term vision beyond the capabilities of most decision makers.

If a new stand now meant Championship stability in 50 years then it is a good investment.
Do you really think that the Championship will still be in being in 50 years time. With the emerging Far East and subcontinent, it'll be a miracle if there is anything more than park footie in these septic isles.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Might as well give up now then.