Best CTFC XI from the first 200 Football League players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here's my team, what would yours be? http://bit.ly/Bestofthefirst200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uppy
Higgs
Gill Duff Elliott Victory
Devaney Finnigan Pack McCann
Gillespie Naylor

Had to sneak McCann out left, which I wasn't happy about, but I'd say that's probably mine.
Robin
Great stuff Jon! My team would be (if excluding loans):

Higgs (GK)
Wilson (RB)
Duff (CB)
Banks (CB)
Victory (LB)
Devaney (LM)
McCann (CM)
Finnigan (CM)
McGlashan (RM)
Gillespie (SC)
Naylor (SC)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Higgs

Gill
Banks
Walker
Victory

McGlashan
McCann
Pack
Devaney

Gillespie
Alsop
Horteng
Knew you wouldn't let your mate down JP even if it is a place on the bench :)
PaulGodfrey
Does anyone want to try naming all 200 players or shall we just post a list so you can see who they are? There are also two other players since we've been in the Football League who only played in cup competitions.
Taz1985
Lets try and name then, on a seperate thread. will start it now
Jon Palmer
Shane Duff picks and justifies his top XI in this video: http://bit.ly/ShaneDuffDreamTeam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gavin
Of the 200 players we have had play for us since joining the league, roughly 80 of them have made 20 league starts or less for us. In contrast, only 6 players have made more than 200 league starts (Victory, Higgs, M Duff, Finnigan, Bird and Brown).

Just goes to show how important the loan market is at this level.
tommy32101
Higgs

Wilson
Banks
Duff
Victory

Mcglashan
Howells
Henry
mccann

Grayson
Tyson
Robin
Each to their own opinion but I do struggle to understand why people would pick stalwarts like Archie and Yates over McCann, Finners, Henry, Pack etc. Is this a favourite eleven or a best eleven?
Si Robin
Depends on what they did for the club.

Karl Henry for example was a very good player, but he was only here for a month. But for one great goal against Mansfield, what did he actually achieve here?
Uppy
I think that Elliott over Banks is a no-brainer, for example, and people are using his contributions in non-league, too. It's all opinion!
Si Robin
I disagree, I thought Banks was the perfect leader for our team in our first couple of years in the Football League. He was as important for his leadership qualities as he was for his footballing ability.

No better captain in my opinion, and only Alan Bennett comes close in that department.
Uppy
There you have it. I can appreciate what you're saying. I was young at the time, so can't really remember his leadership, but I never remember him dominating games like Elliott does.
Robin
Si Robin wrote:Depends on what they did for the club.

Karl Henry for example was a very good player, but he was only here for a month. But for one great goal against Mansfield, what did he actually achieve here?

Was he only here a month, it seemed much longer and he was a cult hero on the terraces at the time. Don't get me wrong Yates was a great stalwart who put in 110% but technically was pretty limited and in my view not comparable with the likes of McCann, Pack, Finners or even Archie.
Si Robin
My middle two would be Finners and McCann, as much for their partnership as for their individual talents, but I can understand anyone putting Archie in. He was much better than some people remember I think.

We've been very lucky over our time in the Football League, some fantastic players. Although there has been some dross, I must concede.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don't think people have picked legends, most seem to have gone for quality.

If we had a lot of favourite elevens surely we'd see Bloomer and Brough appear. No one put a shift in like Brough - one of my all time faves.

Gut wrenching to leave out players like Howarth, Grayson, Milton - but it shows how much quality we have had that these heroes don't make the cut.
Robin
Howarth was again mostly cover for us, I don't think he ever consistently held down a regular spot but he was a ball playing defender.
mattyboi
Higgs
Gill
Duff
Elliot
Victory
Finnigan
Pack
McCann
Gillespie
Alsop
Mcglashan
horlickfanclub
will Smikle come on to protect the draw?
asl
Butland

M.Duff
Elliott
Banks (Capt)
Victory

Williams
Henry
McCann
Devaney

Gillespie
Naylor

Subs:
Higgs
Keogh
Brough (for shear versatility)
Finnighan
Pack
Alsop
Grayson

I realise Banks and Grayson make this team because I'm swayed by their previous non-league performances. If it were based only on FL performances, neither would make this squad. I plumped for Marlon just ahead of both Yatesy and Archie on the bench. One-Trick gets the RM role despite only really having that one season when he seemed to beat every opposing LB and plonked the ball in the box for our strikers time and time again. The lack of wingers worry me and both McGlashan and Mohammed deserve a look-in for the bench but I found it hard to put either in ahead of Finners and Pack - and I couldn't bring myself to leave out Grayson.
Dave Beesley
I thought we decided years ago this should be...

1. Jerry Gill
2. Jerry Gill
3. Jerry Gill
4. Jerry Gill
5. Jerry Gill
6. Jerry Gill
7. Jerry Gill
8. Jerry Gill
9. Jerry Gill
10. Jerry Gill
11. Jerry Gill

I'll get me coat.