That just sums up our season I'm afraid

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
A game we should have won by several goals we just about scrape a draw from.

Brown - one decent save, nothing to do first half then completely jittery in the second half (5)
CBB - Never league standard, a right footed left back who can't tackle, can't cross and pretty much only has pace (5)
Brown - Strong and dominant, didn't give their strikers a sniff (7)
Elliott - immense, won everything! (7.5)
Jombati - great first half blotted by a few iffy moments in the 2nd half (6.5)
Noble - Tried to get the team passing and was quality in the first half (7)
Richards - tiger all over the back and kept the ball superbly (7)
Taylor - one of his best games, real iron man and compliments the other two superbly (7)
McGlashan - as part of a front three is a real handful, terrorised their defence (7)
Harrison - superb in the first half and anonymous in the second (6)
Roofe - compliments the other two forwards so well, such a shame he had to go off (7)

Penn - Why?! One of my favourite players but his inclusion changed the shape and we lost the midfield (5)
Cureton - no chances, got to feel sorry for him (6)

Yates - tactics and subs once again very poor I'm afraid, but credit for the first 45 mins too.
Jebolani
Brown made 2 quality saves Robin. I'd give him a 6.
Robin
One in the first half I remember the second was when?
Malabus
Jebolani wrote:Brown made 2 quality saves Robin. I'd give him a 6.
One average and one above average save...nothing special from the home keeper today. Needs to meet the bench for a couple of games.
Jebolani
Two great saves first half. You think we should play Connor Roberts against Fleetwood away, Mal? Ok.
Malabus
Jebolani wrote:should play Connor Roberts against Fleetwood away, Mal? Ok.
Yes...100%…enough is enough.
taxidave
I do not understand how you have given Brown and CBB equal marks, Brown made 2 or 3 very good saves and cannot be faulted for either goal whereas CBB just isn't up to football league standard and had an absolute shocker today.
Circa 1887
CBB is looking very poor, it must be said.
Jebolani
Was CBB THAT bad today? I thought he was 6/10 until the mistake. Probably a 5/10. Average.
Nesty
he has got pace, but not a football brain
taxidave
Jebolani wrote:Was CBB THAT bad today? I thought he was 6/10 until the mistake. Probably a 5/10. Average.
But the mistake cost us a goal !!
He just cannot defend, he gets the wrong side of his man nearly every time.
You are right Nesty, he has no football brain.
rasta
if he was worried about the bounce he should of just got goal side, slowed the player down, tackled or fouled him.What he did was not attack the ball, the player or position himself complete f@ck up
solihullkev
Scott Brown equally to blame for first goal ; plus brain dead kicking ; sticks to the line and got caught out in doing so when 2-2

He cannot be given a higher mark than CBB

At least CBB was present and in the game. Russ Penn went missing, he was truly awful.

On the positive side, I thought we played really well first half ; Noble was masterful, a first half 9, his touches were magnificent, he made the second goal. He is too good for this league.
Robin
Scott Brown had his worst game since before Jack Butland came here in my view. One decent save but a lot indecision.
taxidave
Robin wrote:Scott Brown had his worst game since before Jack Butland came here in my view. One decent save but a lot indecision.
He still had a better game than Jack Butland did today.
Nesty
i dont want this to sound like I am knocking SB but I felt he did no better or worse than he has this season. If what he has done so far has been acceptable then so was today
mattyboi
Having just watched the football league show, I don't think SB is to blame for the. 1st goal, CBB should have dealt with the ball, that is what he is there to do, but he let it bounce and let the defender get 2 yards ahead of him! The defender is there to deal with that and he failed. As for his kicking, he kicked it a damn sight further than anybody on here could have kicked it in those conditions. Oh and he also made a couple of great saves to keep the scores down which came from free headers in the penalty area, again defence should do better!
Si Robin
The problems with Brown's kicking yesterday was that he kept trying to hit it high knowing full well that it wasn't getting past the halfway line. It needed low flat kicks, and he did it once, but every other kick went straight up in the air.

With that being said he made 2 fantastic saves in the first half which kept us 2-0 up at half time.
hEaLeR
Scott Brown is an excellent keeper but we all know full well he stays firmly rooted to his line. His reaction saves are made from within the six yard box. To progress to the next level he needs to command his area far more. Watching Newport the other week you could see that Pidgley had played at a higher level as his command of the box was evident and his starting position was like that of a sweeper.

Several times this season a long punt upfield has found a defender clearing the ball from well within the penalty area. These are ones which Scotty could have claimed.
Nesty
A goalkeeper is only as good as his defence. How we have a L1 player sat on the bench is diabolical, but he is predominately a CB and our weakness is at full back.
Andy
mattyboi wrote:I don't think SB is to blame for the. 1st goal, CBB should have dealt with the ball, that is what he is there to do, but he let it bounce and let the defender get 2 yards ahead of him! The defender is there to deal with that and he failed.
Not sticking up for CBB as yes he should have dealt with it, but a couple of questions are raised as well:

i) why is the shortest of our back 4 the one that is left to have dealt with a long ball. (he didnt let it bounce - he was too short to head it away and missed it).

ii) why is a LB and not a CB the one at the back to be able to deal with the long high ball.

We dominated that game when Roofe was on the pitch. Unfortunately when we lost him at half time, we lost the 2 points.

Roofe is the type of player that we have missed in the middle since Pack left (I have only seen him once so not sure how well he has performed away from home, but he was very impressive yesterday - hope he is ok and continues like that and we get to keep him till end of season).
Alf
Hartlepool did their homework at half time. Harrison and McGlashen marked tighter second half so no point in trying long goal kicks to Harrison as in first half, especially into the wind.
Presumably Brown playing to instruction?
Plan A worked really well first half but needed changing in second. Once again we came up short when a plan B was required. The formation is ok when we are going forward but can leave our fullbacks exposed when players further forward are tiring and not covering as well as in first half.
What should have been a comfortable win was very nearly a home defeat.
Little thought appeared to be given to the roles of subs when they came on. Cureton was isolated with no possession. We really need to be doing better at home.
Robin
So yet again Yates exposed for a lack of plan B. Even after sleeping on it I do not understand his logic of bringing on Penn and playing four centre mids when we have Ajala on the bench to play off Byron like Roofe was doing very well.
Jebolani
Ajala for Roofe should have been the change... Can't help but feel sorry for Goldson and Ajala. I expect they might feature v Fleetwood? I'd drop CBB, move Sido to LB and start Goldson at RB or Brown at RB.
Alf
I think the prob has always been the ability to revise tactics once the game has started. How often do we see teams out perform us in the second half after they make adjustments at half time?
tunnelvision
Yates was like a rabbit in the headlights second half. When things started to go wrong he showed a total inability to make a decision. Should have changed things around by the 60th minute, when it was obvious we were losing control, not wait until the 83rd. :roll:
I-Love-CTFC
CBB is the weak link in the team, the sooner Yates realises this the better. He's simple not up to the standard required we might as well have brought back Danny Andrew.