Loans and subs....

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

mattyboi
Not quite working for Yates this season, surely with Roofe going off injured the swap should have been Ajala as a straight swap, or Cuerton with Mcglashan going back to the midfield. Bringing Penn on didnt work as we lost the width that a WINGER was exploiting.

Why are we getting loan signings in and not playing them? Goldson wont stay if not playing, he was in and out of a league 1 side, now warming our bench, Sido to left back, Goldson at RB. Id rather Hanks and Williams warm our bench than some other clubs youngsters.
taxidave
mattyboi wrote:Not quite working for Yates this season, surely with Roofe going off injured the swap should have been Ajala as a straight swap, or Cuerton with Mcglashan going back to the midfield. Bringing Penn on didnt work as we lost the width that a WINGER was exploiting.

Why are we getting loan signings in and not playing them? Goldson wont stay if not playing, he was in and out of a league 1 side, now warming our bench, Sido to left back, Goldson at RB. Id rather Hanks and Williams warm our bench than some other clubs youngsters.
That sounds a sensible move but unfortunately I cannot see Yates admitting that he made a mistake by replacing Jones with CBB.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I wasn't there so can't and (as usual) won't comment on specifics of the game.

But I completely agree with your comment on plonking loans on the bench. Waste of cash for us and waste of time for them.

An opinion I have stated several times - we should only spend on loans when they add to the starting eleven. Otherwise develop our own youth by giving them bench experience.
Benctfc
As said the Penn substitution was was odd why change a system that was working well? Ajala or McGlashan should of replaced Roofe. Today was another example of Yates inability to react to match situations when Hartlepool scored it was obvious we needed to change the formation and make some subs but he waited too long and it cost us again. Why bring Cureton on when all we was doing was hoofing it long? Wasn't his game Gornell must be well pissed off. Also if Ajala can't get on in a game like today when are going to play him? 9 unbeaten yes but draws don't get you anywhere in this league.
Horteng
Yates back to his old habits...... Bringing Cureton on with 7 mins to go was a joke

Id of changed it on 70 mins when they scored their second
Peter Griffin
My thinking when Penn came on was that Yates must have been wanting to add more to the middle of the park. I'd have bought Ajala on myself but I can see his reasoning. Just unfortunately Penn was somewhat anonymous rather than being his usual self which would have allowed us to control the game in the middle of the park.
Robin
But Pete we absolutely dominated the centre of midfield in the first half, we then bring on Penn and nobody seems to know where they are playing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sounds like the reverse of Portsmouth Robin. Losing with Penn, Richards and Noble confused and in each others way. Richards moved to left back and the midfield suddenly took control and we were the better side.
I-Love-CTFC
Wrong move to bring on Penn for Roofe yesterday, it was the perfect time to bring Ajala on. If Ajala isn't going to be used when we're 2-0 up what was the point in bringing him in on loan.
horlickfanclub
poor use of subs. i agree with the posts here reference Ajala and Gornell. Harrison was useless after halftime- we needed Gornell . Taylor faded too.
horlickfanclub
p.s. to sum up we were outmanaged again.
Sprout Picker
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Wrong move to bring on Penn for Roofe yesterday, it was the perfect time to bring Ajala on. If Ajala isn't going to be used when we're 2-0 up what was the point in bringing him in on loan.
Have to say I thought the same.