Keith Downing

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nice post-match interview on MOTD as temp manager at WBA today
Malabus
Never be a Wolves legend as he has sunk so low now and destroy his life.
C.V
The biggest error Paul Baker ever made sacking Keith Downing that mistake nearly broke the club.Bet he wishes he could turn the clock back and stuck with Keith.Really couldn't see the sense of it myself what he saw in Allen that was better than what we had.It was always going to end in tears he obviously hadn't done his homework on the loose cannon Allen was, he was renowned for having excess baggage.
Always amusess me the way he swanned in with his dog and the stunt of phone calls during his introduction.Some of our fans were totally took in how gullible they were.
Paul Baker doesn't make many mistakes but that was the biggest ever put a big hole in his and other Directors pockets.
Si Robin
The mistake was hiring Allen, not sacking Downing.

We were in freefall at the time and had conceded 4 times in the first 8 games. Not only that, but we were losing without putting up a fight.

Downing worked miracles keeping us up, but I never truly took to him as a manager. Without doubt the best coach we've had though in my opinion.
Cheltenhamshire10
The epitome of what if. So many good strikers he wanted. If only we'd got Hooper. Really like downing and I still believe Allen was a gamble worth taking at the time. Hindsight he failed miserably, but when Allen was hired the team needed a Big kick up the arse.
Robin
We had too many players coasting and/or not up to standard under Keith. That said, he was a fantastic coach and gave everything for us as manager.
C.V
Robin wrote:We had too many players coasting and/or not up to standard under Keith. That said, he was a fantastic coach and gave everything for us as manager.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant Robin we had about thirty signed or loaned by Allen that were stealing money by getting a wage here.
Robin
Which part of my statement is untrue CV? Come on tell us all...
Uppy
I'd love to see him win his next two and get the job permanently. :D
Malabus
C.V wrote:Some of our fans were totally took in how gullible they were.
Including yourself CV...Dancing around Bishop Cleeve Tesco in the Jam/Marmalade aisle, I heard. :)
C.V
Malabus wrote:
C.V wrote:Some of our fans were totally took in how gullible they were.
Including yourself CV...Dancing around Bishop Cleeve Tesco in the Jam/Marmalade aisle, I heard. :)

Not a chance remember well the season before when he brought Brentford in a cup game.He was stood in the invalid section shouting like a zombie thought at the time wouldnt want an idiot like that at my club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
At the time it felt right to sack KD. We looked awful and gutless like Fulham in the last days of Martin Jol.

As people have said above, sacking KD was the right decision. Appointing MA turned out to be an error.
C.V
The double under his management over Leeds will always remain in my memory.If only he had the financial backing others had before or since.Still l will always be grateful to him he was a great ambassador for this club.
hEaLeR
I think he had the financial backing (at least in transfer fees we were prepared to pay - Hooper & Woolford). Great coach and that's where he's best IMO.

His struggles were in player recruitment and persuading full time signings. Starting the season with Vincent and Connor as your only strikers was a mistake. Can't deny that some of the loans were good, we just didn't have enough quality throughout.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:The double under his management over Leeds will always remain in my memory.If only he had the financial backing others had before or since.Still l will always be grateful to him he was a great ambassador for this club.
I agree CV. Some great results and the Elland Road win is yet to be bettered in my opinion. Top memories.

Agree regarding finances - imagine if Downing had Duffy and Harrad at his disposal for example. Or some of the midfielders we have now.
ctfc-fan
C.V wrote:The biggest error Paul Baker ever made sacking Keith Downing that mistake nearly broke the club.Bet he wishes he could turn the clock back and stuck with Keith.Really couldn't see the sense of it myself what he saw in Allen that was better than what we had.It was always going to end in tears he obviously hadn't done his homework on the loose cannon Allen was, he was renowned for having excess baggage.
Always amusess me the way he swanned in with his dog and the stunt of phone calls during his introduction.Some of our fans were totally took in how gullible they were.
Paul Baker doesn't make many mistakes but that was the biggest ever put a big hole in his and other Directors pockets.
We both said it at the time against MA whilst most others seemed to think he'd be some sort of saviour.
Alf
Si Robin wrote:The mistake was hiring Allen, not sacking Downing.

We were in freefall at the time and had conceded 4 times in the first 8 games. Not only that, but we were losing without putting up a fight.
That sounds like this season but the manager wasn't sacked.
I am not saying he should have been, just making the point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I felt this season the games were closer and potential was clear. This season we suffered a lot from individual errors rather than being humiliated by every team.
51/84
Alf wrote:
Si Robin wrote:The mistake was hiring Allen, not sacking Downing.

That sounds like this season but the manager wasn't sacked.
I am not saying he should have been, just making the point.
I know its Christmas Alf but why let facts get in the way
How many of the first shall we say 12 games did we concede 4 goals?
Did we score any in that period?

This board bangs on about learning from mistakes.
Perhaps the board learned not to make snap decisions based on 8 games
Alf
Made two of you chirp though!
Merry Christmas?