Top half v bottom half

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
I have merely looked this up on Statto.com which is not a bad website, so there is no novelty in thought here, merely what I have looked at.

Anyway, the point is this - our record against teams in the top half of the table is very good ; and shocking against those in the bottom half.

We have taken 16 points against those in the top half of the table - only Scunthorpe have more points against those teams in the top half.

We have taken 14 points against those in the bottom half - only Torquay, Portsmouth and Northampton have taken less points per game against those teams in the bottom half.

Statistics can be misleading, but I take heart from this if we can start to be more ruthless against the teams in the lower half of the table. Plainly we can hold our own against the better teams from which we can have play off pretensions. Next three games give us the platform to kick on (I know Exeter are just in top half).

SK
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
how many games have we played against each? points per game the key stat here.
solihullkev
played 11 games for each.

PPG has us 3rd in top half league ; 4th bottom in bottom half league.

1.45ppg top ; 1.27ppg bottom
Shade
How many of those have been home or away? Our record is 2/7/2 at home and 5/2/4 away so if we have played more bottom half teams at home then that may explain it. The other thing that may explain it would be we have played teams like ourselves - good one week and poor the next, and maybe now climbing the league. Looking at the table I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 teams from the bottom half right now make it into the top half by the end of the season.
Robin
Which six Shade and who do you see dropping down to replace them? The two teams directly above us do appear to be vastly over acheiving and I would hope we would over take them by the New Year.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Which six Shade and who do you see dropping down to replace them? The two teams directly above us do appear to be vastly over acheiving and I would hope we would over take them by the New Year.
Who knows! That's the beauty of such a close and tight league - unpredictable until the last. Even Rovers, Mansfield and Pompey must be thinking play-offs are achievable with a good run.

12 points from seventh to twentieth - any of those sides could bridge the gap.
Shade
Robin wrote:Which six Shade and who do you see dropping down to replace them? The two teams directly above us do appear to be vastly over acheiving and I would hope we would over take them by the New Year.
Maybe 6 is a bit extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Hartlepool, Plymouth and Wycombe moving up with Newport, Morecambe, Dagenham and Exeter moving down. It's just the way the league is this year, I can see the table changing drastically. Obviously, before this last weekend, we would have been one of the teams I would expect to climb into the top half and stay there.
solihullkev
Can see Hartlepool and Plymouth moving up.

Interesting view re Newport - I was rather impressed with them when we played them and see them being in play offs.
Shade
I think they'll bomb at some point. Only 1 defeat at home, I don't expect it to last until the end of the season. But anything can happen.
Robin
Only two sides have really impressed me and that is Fleetwood and Chesterfield, I would be surprised if either finishes outside the top three.
Robin
Only two sides have really impressed me and that is Fleetwood and Chesterfield, I would be surprised if either finishes outside the top three.
vcinthestand
they must have impressed you Robin to post twice :lol:
IYWT
solihullkev wrote:
We have taken 16 points against those in the top half of the table - only Scunthorpe have more points against those teams in the top half.
That is an interesting stat as we have only beaten one team in the top 8.
solihullkev
Good spot - and only achieved that on Saturday.

Double over Morecambe has helped.

Don't really feel any of the top half clubs have really dominated us from games I have seen - I missed Chesterfield tho'.
Robin
Agree with Kev. Chesterfield outplayed us for 45 minutes otherwise we really should have beaten Oxford, Burton and Rochdale.
Jebolani
Only our draw v Portsmouth seemed like a decent result.