Squad/midfield/Yates decisions

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
From reading the reviews on hear from those who were there or followed the game one thing looks apparent.

As feared, Deering is not a replacement midfielder for Penn. Once Noble was confirmed out I would have changed the system so that Deering was not in a position which needed presence, strength and consistency.

Penn or a proper central midfielder would be a preference as replacement for Noble - and of course we sold Penn and have not replaced.

I wasn't there so basing this on reports - am I off the mark or do those who went think Penn would have helped?
darkestDreaming
A wet lettuce would have been more effective than Deering, I'm sorry to say.
horlickfanclub
Our shape does not get the best out of players
hEaLeR
horlickfanclub wrote:Our shape does not get the best out of players
Please explain this?

The diamond has been the reason for the up turn in performances. It suits the players we have at the minute. Whether it suits long term is another debate.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
hEaLeR wrote:
Please explain this?

The diamond has been the reason for the up turn in performances. It suits the players we have at the minute. Whether it suits long term is another debate.
Did not suit the players we had yesterday.

The back man of the diamond and two side men all have to be proper central midfielders who tackle, get stuck in, position well, can drive forward, play hard passes and easy passes and do an all-round midfield role.

Deering is not what I would call a central midfielder and should only be utilised at the tip of the diamond. With Penn gone and Noble out we only had two central midfielders with experience.

I would have played 4-4-2 as a result, or played Hanks in Noble's role.
mattyboi
I do find some decisions MY makes hard to understand, we have 4 wingers, McGlashan, Roofe, Kotwica and Vincent, only 1 played as a winger, the winger who went out on loan (Kotwica) to keep match fit and improve sharpness is then kept on the bench as Vincent, who hasn't played since September is chosen ahead of him to come on and try and snatch a point.

Deering, in the time he has been at the club, has not done enough to prove he warrants a place in the starting line up. Was Noble already doubtful whilst Penn was still at the club?
hEaLeR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
hEaLeR wrote:
Please explain this?

Did not suit the players we had yesterday.

The back man of the diamond and two side men all have to be proper central midfielders who tackle, get stuck in, position well, can drive forward, play hard passes and easy passes and do an all-round midfield role.

Deering is not what I would call a central midfielder and should only be utilised at the tip of the diamond. With Penn gone and Noble out we only had two central midfielders with experience.

I would have played 4-4-2 as a result, or played Hanks in Noble's role.
I'm sure Deering would have wanted the chance to play anywhere and the creative quarterback for want of a better term was one he could have relished. Just as his performance at Tamworth in that role he failed to deliver and for me his time at Cheltenham has been one of under performing.
horlickfanclub
To Healer,

Draw a diamond on a rectangular sheet of paper . see the gaps?
Alf
You devise a formation for the best players you have available, not stick rigidly with a set formation in which you shoe-horn players who could perform better in a different system.
Malabus
Would have been a different story if we rolled our sleeves up at Tamworth. Increased the squad size with a good run in the cup.