Worst half of football this season?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
That first half was as bad as anything under Martin Allen, in my view. Totally outplayed and the mgt team were totally clueless what to do.

Credit where it's due the dissent on the terraces obviously struck a chord because there was an improvement and we should have got a point in the end.
RED ROB
Couldn't agree more robin, diabolical. Wrong team and not much in the way of effort.
The chances we had 2nd half should have seen us get something from the game.
Circa 1887
Echo Robin and Red Rob. We continue to waste the first half at home, then take half of the second half to find an effective tactic. What do we work on all week? Are we scouting our opponents?
cheltsaxon
Circa 1887 wrote:Echo Robin and Red Rob. We continue to waste the first half at home, then take half of the second half to find an effective tactic. What do we work on all week? Are we scouting our opponents?
it's clear they scout us attack down the left youll be able to get a ball in easy enough and when you do they'll be nobody quick enough to defend it in middle guaranteed win.
RED ROB
Cant argue with that. :cry: :cry:
51/84
have to agree about the first half
2nd have we had more than enough chances to win the game

In the first 4 minutes we had a free kick which our sponsors MOM blasted over not sure if it remained in the ground
They had one about 1 minute later that Scotty had to push round the post

Defending was atrocious because we were not playing the diamond
No creativity in mid field.
Taylor and Richards in the midfield were shocking Taylor one pace and Richards could only pass back or sideways

Yates changed to the diamond and that improved things slightly
T Brown was very poor for the first 20 but so was everyone else
Hoof ball down the middle for Gornell to win headers on for Cureton, not very many if any won
2nd goal was a good header but need to see it again

.I hope Yates broke the halftime hair dryers

Second half was the inevitable time wasting ( and while I dont like it I couldnt blame them)
Ref seemed to be avoiding trying to give yellows
Curetons goal to shots ratio must be horrendous thats if we count the misses and miskicks

As predicted AV came on and I suspect he is either now going to feature in every match to the end of the season or be punted next week
So we scored but we still huffed and puffed
Byron was wining a few headers and flick on but some on here still dont see hes the best of the 3
Curetons goal was a screamer rising all the way
How many did we miss

Now sponsors MOM while I struggled to give anyone other than Scotty pass marks how did Richards get it

Oh well theres always next season in the football league ( I hope)

I asked for passion and enthusiastic players - sadly missing in the first half and we were never going to get rond the time wasting

Yet again we have been mugged

People say wrong team and tactics but when you have 15 players of which 2 are keepers what can you do
OK blame Yates but I blame the board just as much no passion just be safe
Alf
Robin wrote:That first half was as bad as anything under Martin Allen, in my view. Totally outplayed and the mgt team were totally clueless what to do.
....l.and let's face it, there's been some stiff competition for that award this season.
Oldun
How is it boards fault? MY brings the players in, he chooses the team and the formation. He motivates (or not!) How much more of this have we to stomach?
RED ROB
At the forum I was sat at Yates said he had two players ready to come in, Baker backed it and the board threw it out.
I don't think they trust Yates anymore.
If a miracle doesn't happen I cant see his contract being renewed, not sure they will sack him.
Nesty
I heard similar
51/84
Baker is penny pinching
No investment in the summer.
It goes how much is the playing budget chairman the same as last season.
But we needed better players
Chairman well go and manage it
So we get a more expense player ( on average) but fewer of them
Can I bring in an extra defender no
Can I bring in more players we are hanging on to the top half
Answer no
So where does that leave the manager
Sure some of its Yates but some has got to go to the boards blame
So they reduce the debt but what do we get.
I would imagine that this year its more expensive to put out a team in this leaguethan last season
Cheltenhamshire
£21 for that.. needless to say I won't be returning anytime soon! Everyone at the club needs to take a long hard look at themselves! Highlights included:

1) Being dominated for 60 minutes by relegation favourites.
2) McGlashan theatrically throwing himself into the firing line twice, both of which were rightfully not counted as fouls.
3) Stanley's keeper eventually booked for time wasting (I thought it was pretty funny!).
4) Lack of passion, commitment and urgency from the team.
5) That miss from 3 yards out.
5) So many long balls.. Elliott and Jombati the main culprits, zzz!
6) Matt Richards being awarded MotM.. laughable!
7) An atmosphere equivalent to that of a Morgue.

Classic League 2 football, I was quite impressed with Accrington to be fair, thought they executed their game plan very well.

All in all pretty entertaining then, but for all the wrong reasons. :evil:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think the Board fully have a duty and a right not to rjsk the financial future of the club. If our finances can't sustain a promotion challenge we have to accept that.
Nesty
ironic that Stanley's first goal scored by someone Yates could have signed in the Summer.
Alf
The board backed the manager latter part of last season with extra funds for our, so called, promotion push. The board showed financial faith and there was no tangible improvement in results or performances. Why should they now throw good money after bad?
duebenji
The first 25 minutes were horrific. Things picked up slightly for 10 minutes when Yates went back to the 4312, but that petered out and in a 50/50 final 10 of the first half they've got the second late on.

Last half an hour was a massive improvement and chances were there to get a point, if not win the game. Why it takes an hour for the players to start passing the ball in the midfield is a mystery.

In terms of long balls you can place the blame at the entire back four. You could also criticise Scott Brown for often looking to go long, too. Numerous times there was a quick throw on which would retain possession, but instead he ignores it and holds on to it before punting it long; sometimes too long; needing someone to win a 40/60 aerial battle against 2 centre halves that are good in the air.
Circa 1887
Alf wrote:The board backed the manager latter part of last season with extra funds for our, so called, promotion push. The board showed financial faith and there was no tangible improvement in results or performances. Why should they now throw good money after bad?
I agree. No issue with the board from my point of view.
leohoenig
There was some very good football in the first half - but none of played by the home team.
We conceded one goal with a flat back four, and one with the diamond - the diamond came in midway through the first half and ended with the first substitutions
Any neutral at the game would have enjoyed it, but were there any neutrals at the game?
Joey
I can't be the only one who thought the second half was still completely dire.

We are not playing football, we looked like a side who didn't know what they were doing. Jermaine's attempts at getting a free-kick outside the box were laughable and that's what we had succumbed to.

I was honestly considering not going to the Accrington game, bloody wish I hadn't! One of the most pathetic games I've seen for seasons.
MrsWardenHill
This has probably been mentioned before, so apologise, before I get my head bitten off! Do we have anybody scouting these teams before we play them? I'm sure they do us, because they pick up our weaknesses from the start. Yes I was there yesterday and for the first half we made Accy look like a good team. Come second half it was too late.
I-Love-CTFC
MrsWardenHill wrote:This has probably been mentioned before, so apologise, before I get my head bitten off! Do we have anybody scouting these teams before we play them? I'm sure they do us, because they pick up our weaknesses from the start. Yes I was there yesterday and for the first half we made Accy look like a good team. Come second half it was too late.
I believe Dave Kevan scouted teams when he was here but I'm not sure who does now, you would have thought someone would.
51/84
we watch the DVD
When Yates or Howarth watch a team we get a good display , watch the DVD and you get mickey mouse display!