Damian Spencer

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RED ROB
I suspect there will be a phone call this morning between our manager and chairman.
Then a statement saying there had been a "misunderstanding" :?
asl
If MY was dealing with team matters in the dressing room, then I don't feel it was the time for social niceties. As for being a 'storm in a tea cup' - well I'd very much hope there were none of those left intact...
Uppy
He just doesn't seem a particularly likeable guy. I appreciate that his job is to get results, but there's been more "incidents" with him in charge than anybody bar MA. Generally speaking, it's more difficult to succeed if you don't have the fans onside.

That said, I see no reason why a former player SHOULD be in the dressing room after the game.
PaulGodfrey
There is a room behind the home dressing room with a door onto the corridor. I have to go through there to get to my office and quite often people congregate around there after the game (Academy coaches, medical staff etc). Sometimes they are asked to wait outside in the corridor until the manager has finished his de-brief with the players. This is understandable, particularly after a bad result.
When I went down there yesterday the door was locked and Damian was in the corridor talking to some of the youth guys.
What I SUSPECT happened (I wasn't there at the time) is that after a home defeat with feelings running high, the manager might have been a bit more abrupt than usual is asking people to wait outside.
I'm sure both parties might have felt a bit miffed at the time but, of course, in the days before Twitter such things were always kept in the dressing room and wouldn't have become a talking point at all.
From my point of view, if we're going to lose at home then I would expect the manager to be annoyed and I generally stay out of his way and do a few post-match jobs until he's said his piece to the players!
C.V
Easy answer to this Paul stop ex players /hangers on entering through the players entrance.Graham Alner and his partner never an ex player of ours by the way when they attend are always stood in the players entrance on to the pitch.They are not the only ones to many are avoiding paying by entering the stadium through this entrance.
Circa 1887
ctfcshire wrote:
leohoenig wrote:I have been told this is simply untrue. Spencer could not get entry into the dressing room while Yates was talking to the players. He was not removed from the ground, he simply could not get through a locked door into the dressing rooms (until the door was unlocked)
There has to be more to it than just a locked door.
And it appears you were right, it was more than just that judging by JP's article.
Alf
;)
PaulGodfrey wrote:There is a room behind the home dressing room with a door onto the corridor. I have to go through there to get to my office and quite often people congregate around there after the game (Academy coaches, medical staff etc). Sometimes they are asked to wait outside in the corridor until the manager has finished his de-brief with the players. This is understandable, particularly after a bad result.
When I went down there yesterday the door was locked and Damian was in the corridor talking to some of the youth guys.
What I SUSPECT happened (I wasn't there at the time) is that after a home defeat with feelings running high, the manager might have been a bit more abrupt than usual is asking people to wait outside.
I'm sure both parties might have felt a bit miffed at the time but, of course, in the days before Twitter such things were always kept in the dressing room and wouldn't have become a talking point at all.
From my point of view, if we're going to lose at home then I would expect the manager to be annoyed and I generally stay out of his way and do a few post-match jobs until he's said his piece to the players!
If the displays get any worse I would suggest that the punters in the corridor bring packed lunches to eat whilst Yatesey finishes his post match appraisal. ;)
vcinthestand
vcinthestand wrote:
Something happened so its time for the spanish inquisition which no doubt Paul G will have to waste time correcting and then not being believed
Told you. Thanks paul
DWx3
According to the article Spencer now considers himself to be a supporter. How many other supporters can just stroll around the tunnel after a match?

I'm sure Steve Cotterill would have reacted in exactly the same way as Mark Yates did but I doubt he'd have received the same amount of criticism on here.

These things need to be kept behind closed doors. As Paul said, emotions run high after a defeat - I'm sure we've all lost our temper a bit after a s#!t day at the office whether it be with a friend, colleague or 'er indoors. Running to Twitter to cry for sympathy is very immature.

Whether or not Mark Yates is still the right man to run this club is completely irrelevant to this incident.
C.V
^^ Agree with this 100% think it was poor of Damian to post as he did.Hope Paul Godfrey takes on board what l posted ref ex players and hangers on congregating in the players tunnel.
CheltRobin
Damien - we could've done with you out on the pitch yesterday - at least you played with commitment, unlike all the team in the 1st half!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How do we know Damian wasn't just being light hearted and jokey?
RED ROB
I don't think there would have been many inside or around the dressing room feeling very "jokey" after a performance like that.
Ah well, no harm done.
baggy89
C.V wrote:Easy answer to this Paul stop ex players /hangers on entering through the players entrance.Graham Alner and his partner never an ex player of ours by the way when they attend are always stood in the players entrance on to the pitch.They are not the only ones to many are avoiding paying by entering the stadium through this entrance.
Not sure I understand this comment?
RED ROB
Freeloaders baggy, plenty walk through the players entrance and gain free entry. Hang around the players tunnel then walk up to the stand and find a couple of seats.
baggy89
Are there a lot of ex-players and Graham Allners missus's? Not exactly a drain on resources?

I semi-regularly (as in when I go home) get tickets for Pittodrie through a friend of a friend, who never set foot on the turf in first team action.

It's not as if we sell out.
Robin
baggy89 wrote:Are there a lot of ex-players and Graham Allners missus's? Not exactly a drain on resources?

I semi-regularly (as in when I go home) get tickets for Pittodrie through a friend of a friend, who never set foot on the turf in first team action.

I dont believe Graham Allner has a Mrs but does have a partner ;) there are a few others beyond that who get comp tickets though.
baggy89
hmm, figured this was the point of C.V.'s post........

Disappointing.
C.V
baggy89 wrote:Are there a lot of ex-players and Graham Allners missus's? Not exactly a drain on resources?

Think you are getting the wrong end of the stick here.I am not talking about the tunnel enclosure but the actual players tunnel.When the players come of after the match warm up they can hardly get past its so congested with people.If they are guests they should be in there allocated area.There has been other times people are sheppereded through that way to gain free entry.
Piro Teknix
I am sure that if ex players like Spencer phoned the club in advance they would be allocated complimentary tickets rather than them having to try to sneak in the players entrance just to avoid paying the entrance fee like the rest of us have to do.
RED ROB
Yes but they are footballers, they don't think like the rest of us. ;) ;)
Si Robin
I work with a friend of Damian's and I'm led to believe that thinking is way down on his list of anything. :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Used to quite often pop in as a customer at somewhere I worked - never seemed any more or less a fan of thinking than most of the general public.
Ralph
as i pointed out in another thread, this is pretty poor of DS to of done this. He was a pro, he knows what goes on in a dressing room after the game. Mischief making on his part and for MY to have to apologize, thats poor too. DS caused this. I mean its not like he's a mega god called Neil Grayson. If Neil had had it done to him i could understand it but not a bit part player who wasn't really very good here like DS.
Then again, Neil has a brain and is a real serious pro football player.. he would never of tried to barge in the dressing room in the first place for this to happen .. he knows what goes on. If he was still in the team and in the dressing room on Sat, he'd probably of removed DS himself

Can't believe some of the handwringing in this thread from a couple that want MY out.. any excuse to throw stones and DS's tweet was one of those stones