Good point.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Plymouth is difficult to go to for CTFC, they turn us over even when in the bottom few places so to get a draw when they are above us in the league is a good result. Especially with Noble out.

Four winnable games then tests away at Newport and home to Chesterfield.

Time to see if we can start another run and make a bid for top seven.

It is not over yet.
Malabus
Poor point in my honest opinion. Should have put the game to bed.
Robin
I would have snapped your arm off for a point before but listening to it, we dropped two points when the home side can only muster two shots at your goal.
London Exile
Agree with you Robin. Would've taken a point pre match but disappointed to let 3 points slip in the final 10 minutes.
solihullkev
Thinking back to the home game, Plymouth absolutely murdered. Happy enough with a point.

Looking at the table now, whilst I have absolutely no relegation concerns, I have concluded now the play offs are out of our reach - appreciate many came to that view weeks ago. I agree with Regency's view of four winnable games, and we should win all 4 "on paper". I will suggest we will get 5 points from them.
cheltsaxon
Suprised nobodys mentioned this why was mark yates in stands rather than dugout?
solihullkev
meant to say Plymouth absolutely murdered us at WR
Piro Teknix
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Time to see if we can start another run and make a bid for top seven.
It is not over yet.
I always have a great admiration for people like you who can never see the dark side and are full of optimism regarding our prospects, but I do not understand how you think we will make up the 11 points we are adrift of 7th place plus we have played a game more. We are in fact a lot closer to the drop zone being just 8 points off 23rd place and have played the same amount of games as Torquay. My main worry with the bottom places is that all the other clubs below us seem to be getting in new players and other than Mansfield, Accrington and Bury, plus of course the present incumbents, I cannot see any of the others struggling for too long.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I said time to see if we can put on a run to make a bid - far from saying I think we will.

I personally think we'll be 9-12th but as we have recently put on a 16 match unbeaten run and stopped the three game losing rot today I'd like to see if we can make a good end of the season.

I'd have thought all fans hoped to see a good end to the season - otherwise why bother?
Joey
Draw your away games and win your homes games.

We've got half of that formula right.
Malabus
Joey wrote:Draw your away games and win your homes games.

We won 3 games at home all season. This draw today isn't a cherry on top of the cake!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No but it's a bit of flour on the table top on which to build the foundations. With a bit of luck you will get as far as needing a cherry.
Piro Teknix
If we manage to average a point a game for our remaining fixtures I think we will all breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Malabus
Too many unintelligent rose tinters on this thread, you couldn't make it up!...I'm off.
Joey
Malabus wrote:
Joey wrote:Draw your away games and win your homes games.

We won 3 games at home all season. This draw today isn't a cherry on top of the cake!
Which is why I said half...as in the drawing away games part.

I know our home form has be terrible but to go to Plymouth and get a point isn't that bad.
I-Love-CTFC
cheltsaxon wrote:Suprised nobodys mentioned this why was mark yates in stands rather than dugout?
He was in the stands to get a better vantage point of the game, like Sam Allardyceused to, I believe Steve McClaren does the same at Derby.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Too many unintelligent rose tinters on this thread, you couldn't make it up!...I'm off.
T'ra
Alf
For goodness sake we have had this all season, right from the early games.
' A win next week will turn our season round' 'Should win our next two home games which will put us just outside play offs' etc, etc. the season is virtually two thirds over and we are still producing dire performances.if we were playing great football but just being unlucky I could understand the optimism but we are not and the future doesn't exactly look hopeful. Not through my specs anyway.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don't have any expectations of a winning run - just think it would be good if it happens. Same way a losing run would be bad if it happens. Don't see what is so divisive about saying I hope to see a run! If you don't hope to see your team win why go to matches?
asl
Pessimism - Realism - Optimism. I suspect Alf sits with me in that middle section. Not sure how many people are left in the third section, now.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Plymouth is difficult to go to for CTFC, they turn us over even when in the bottom few places so to get a draw when they are above us in the league is a good result. Especially with Noble out.

It is not over yet.
We have started another run................. No wins in 4 (3 defeats, 1draw)
Nesty
Alf wrote:For goodness sake we have had this all season, right from the early games.
' A win next week will turn our season round' 'Should win our next two home games which will put us just outside play offs' etc, etc. the season is virtually two thirds over and we are still producing dire performances.if we were playing great football but just being unlucky I could understand the optimism but we are not and the future doesn't exactly look hopeful. Not through my specs anyway.
The manager still does not know what is is best team, or what formation
Jebolani
Yatesy chopped and changed his team until the very last game last season, so it's not as if it didn't work...
Alf
It is not so much winning runs or losing runs. It's about performances. If you went to a restaurant and had a lousy meal would you keep going back every other week hoping that on just one of those occasions you may get something decent. I doubt it, especially if the chef kept coming out of the kitchen droning on that things would be better if he could get more money for better ingredients and by the way, he's sorry about mixing sardines in the chocolate cake. It didn't work.
Circa 1887
Nesty wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Plymouth is difficult to go to for CTFC, they turn us over even when in the bottom few places so to get a draw when they are above us in the league is a good result. Especially with Noble out.

It is not over yet.
We have started another run................. No wins in 4 (3 defeats, 1draw)
Exactly. And "winnable games"? Please - no such thing this season, it's entirely pot-luck as to how we'll play. Be realistic - top 7 isn't going to happen.

I'm so fed up of this season, I wish the board had taken decisive action last October/November - as we have utterly wasted this season.
CheltRobin
Top post Alf :lol: :lol:
Oldun
Top post Nesty
RED ROB
Could and should have been three until one of your most experienced midfielders decides to slice someone down five yards outside the box.
No one to blame but Richards.
Si Robin
I daresay Luke Young would have to say something about that. The ball still had to be put in the net.

As for comparing football to a restaurant, you simply can't. In fact, as I stated a week or so ago, you can't compare football to anything else because there is no direct comparison. You go to a restaurant because of what you heard about it, or read about it and you expect what you've heard. You don't like it, you don't go again. You do, then you go every now and then. However, there's no emotional attachment to the restaurant and if it goes bust you go elsewhere.

You can't do that with football because every 90 minutes is so different. You go to football week in week out wanting your team to win. If your team goes bust then there's nowhere else to go, unless you really just are all about the glory and you pick and choose which clubs you wish to support like you do your underwear...
C.V
But Si a restaurant relies on aclients of twenty or thirty there are plenty of customers out there who will give it a go if not they go out of business.We rely on a clientèle of three thousand +.Most have sampled it and don't seem that interested in the week to week offering unless its a big game.We like a lose making restaurant cant keep going offering sub standard below standard goods.
London Exile
From the snippets I heard on BBC Glos was Richards yet again struggling with his set piece delivery?
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I personally think we'll be 9-12th but as we have recently put on a 16 match unbeaten run
When was this?
Alf
Si. Sure, every ninety minutes is different in that it is not an exact template of the previous week. However, whether the non entertainment is exactly the same non entertainment as the week before is neither here nor there, it's still non entertainment.....unless one doesnt get out very often. My point is, regardless of our results, punters are not being entertained. Yes, you support your club throught thick and thin but the thin is getting thinner each week. I find it difficult to believe that there are people going to WR and coming away feeling they've had their money's worth. Unless they're on a freebie in corporate hospitality.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:It is not so much winning runs or losing runs. It's about performances. If you went to a restaurant and had a lousy meal would you keep going back every other week hoping that on just one of those occasions you may get something decent. I doubt it, especially if the chef kept coming out of the kitchen droning on that things would be better if he could get more money for better ingredients and by the way, he's sorry about mixing sardines in the chocolate cake. It didn't work.
No but a restaurant isn't football.
Alf
A lot of things have suddenly become incredibly clear!