Skipper's blog.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
"In mid-January of last year I had just played against Everton at Whaddon Road for Cheltenham in the FA Cup. A great game to be part of but I didn’t know at the time it would be my last.

It was toward the back end of January and I was told that in the summer there would be no deal for me and another centre-back was coming in immediately."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/sp ... ry-6640000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
what a way to treat a player.
51/84
I dont see what the problem is Nesty
Benno was dropped for what ever reason on or around the 1st week in Jan.
I would expect management to secure a new player before tell the other that a new player was coming in.
Did Benno then say so whats happening to me in the summer , or Yates said we will not be renewing your contract.
Either way it gave Benno the chance to go to Wimbledon
I am sure Yates would have been criticised if he brought in Troy and left Benno on the bench or in the stand

This is a football club and not a charity.
Get over it Benno has and obviously is enjoying his footy

Lets spin things the negative way as we only want the best for CTFC
Taz1985
51/84 have you even read the article?

Correct, Benno was dropped for "whatever reason" what he is saying is he was told their would be nothing for him in the summer, and was not given any reason why.

That is poor management.
Horteng
Havent read it yet but why cant we have something like this out of our club instead of the same old drivel week in week out
Si Robin
Taz1985 wrote:51/84 have you even read the article?

Correct, Benno was dropped for "whatever reason" what he is saying is he was told their would be nothing for him in the summer, and was not given any reason why.

That is poor management.
He was dropped because he and Elliott were no longer working as a partnership and it made sense for one of them to go. Of the two, Yates obviously felt Elliott was the better. Hector came in and was by a margin better than Bennett.
leohoenig
Generally, this is the way players are treated by their clubs. We had a player whose contract was due to end in the summer, and did him a favour by letting him know during the window. He could have stayed until the end of the season and if he did not play, it would then have been more difficult to find a new club.

This is being brought up again, only by those who think the manager made a mistake in letting Benno go. This is mixing up the issues - the fact he left, and the way in which he left are different. Benno is somewhat better off than some of us out in the real world. I know the project I am working on is coming to an end. I am expecting work until April (unless I find something elsewhere in the meantime), but I am not guaranteed any work, I can come in on any Monday morning and be told I am out on the Friday - and I will be paid for the hours worked without a pay off.
Joey
Always thought he was scapegoated by Yates.

Glad to see he is doing well the at AFC, will always have the upmost respect for him.
51/84
Yes I did read it before I posted.
There is nothing in the article that says when he was told other than that the contract was not being renewed and that a CB was coming in. The assumption surely was that he would play for his place or he could look around for an opening - I would call that good management especially as far as Benno was concerned
rasta
or, none of the above.
RED ROB
Sad fact of life for a footballer.
Good insight but Yates choice and who he brought in justified his decision.
Shade
People (CTFC supporters) just determined (some kind of agenda) to try and make our manager look like an idiot despite the fact he's no different to most managers and has never done anything he hasn't thought best for our club. Even if he hasn't made the best decisions he doesn't deserve the abuse and petulance he receives.

Amateur, Non-league fans. Get in the real world :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Then why has Yates not stated "I felt letting so and so go was best for the club for such and such a reason". The only peep is that one if the four released had "hit a brick wall". A simple update from the club to the fans would have ended the speculation.
51/84
why do you need to know the inside leg measurement of a player
We dont know why Sainsburys chairman resigned other than he had done 10 yrs do we, so why should we know why players are let go
If it is his knees as widely being reported then its a help to him not to splash it - that so and so is knackered. Actually that what Yates effectively said it was those on here who tried to create a cloud over Yates and this all started after Wembley
Benctfc
Shade wrote:People (CTFC supporters) just determined (some kind of agenda) to try and make our manager look like an idiot despite the fact he's no different to most managers and has never done anything he hasn't thought best for our club. Even if he hasn't made the best decisions he doesn't deserve the abuse and petulance he receives.

I don't see other managers abusing fans after a match (Plymouth away) or shouting at ex players yates can be a loose cannon sometimes and unproffesional. I also don't see other managers questioning the interviewer like he does on some interviews also.
THECHOIRBOY
Benctfc wrote:
Shade wrote:People (CTFC supporters) just determined (some kind of agenda) to try and make our manager look like an idiot despite the fact he's no different to most managers and has never done anything he hasn't thought best for our club. Even if he hasn't made the best decisions he doesn't deserve the abuse and petulance he receives.

I don't see other managers abusing fans after a match (Plymouth away) or shouting at ex players yates can be a loose cannon sometimes and unproffesional. I also don't see other managers questioning the interviewer like he does on some interviews also.
Well the BCFC had issues with the way a certain manager deals with their interviewer. This is an edited version

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25885329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
51/84
Benny you believe what you want and dont let facts get in your way
Benctfc
51/84 wrote:Benny you believe what you want and dont let facts get in your way
What facts it was quite evident what happened at Plymouth (on video) and Yates had to come out and apologise after the Spencer incident?
51/84
If you werent there at either incident then you are not a reliable witness end off
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Love to see a player or manager give some back. If fans can't take it then don't dish it out.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Love to see a player or manager give some back. If fans can't take it then don't dish it out.
[cough] Hayes [/cough]
Ralph
Benctfc wrote:
51/84 wrote:Benny you believe what you want and dont let facts get in your way
What facts it was quite evident what happened at Plymouth (on video) and Yates had to come out and apologise after the Spencer incident?

The Spencer incident? That was Spencers fault. MY had no reason to apologise but did out of courtesy imo..