OI BAKER NO................

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
After today how can you possibly justify giving this clown another contract?

Once again a poor result (I wasnt there so cannot comment on performance). Once again the opposition makes change tactically that Yates cannot deal with. More chopping and changing the team, trying to get the players to fit a system that they are not familiar with.

It beggars belief.
Alf
We are now two defeats away from the relegation zone. We should be capable of beating the bottom side at home. If teams at the bottom start putting successful runs together................
Malabus
It was woefully bad at times, to stale, things need refreshing.
Robin
I was there and it was an awful game, yes the conditions were bad but Northampton were extremely limited, a mistake from Scott Brown gifted them a goal and yet again Yates had no ideas. The most telling moment was we are at home with ten minutes to go and we show no urgency or organisation to get out of it.

As I have said Yates is not a terrible manager but yet again his lack of plan B was very telling today.
51/84
Bringing on McGlashan and Gornell should have helped
I would suggest we dont have the bodies to turn a game
little mo
51/84 wrote:Bringing on McGlashan and Gornell should have helped
They only had 5 minutes, bit late to make much difference then mate.
tunnelvision
51/84 wrote:Bringing on McGlashan and Gornell should have helped
We should have brought them on 20 mins earlier. Northampton were growing stronger the longer the 2nd half went on. It was only a matter of time before they scored. We needed someone up front to hold onto the ball - something neither Harrison or Cureton seem capable of.

Also, very disappointed with Cureton. Despite his experience was caught offside almost every time the ball was played through to him. It's just needlessly giving the ball back to the opposition.
rasta
subs to late,

Northampton bottom of table and we could not beat them, c!#p season,
Joey
If there are two central defenders in front of him, surely it's up to the defenders to deal with it and not Brown? There was no communication whatsoever when the ball was coming in. So much for us being better off without Bennett and Elliott at the back!!!

As for the midfield, oh dear. It depresses me how backwards we have gone in that area. What was once the best midfield in the league and was the driving force in our success is now an absolute mess. Lacked vision and valour that previous players such as Penn and Pack provided us with.

Anyway the season is over, might as well have our end of season party now. Will be nice to see the return of Stevenage to WR and even the possibility of Luton Town.
Baron
I really don't get it, if it is glaringly obvious to almost every Robins fan in the ground that we needed to freshen things up before Northampton scored, why cannot MY see it? We do not seem to have the quality in midfield but if it's clearly not working, at least give McGlashan more time to try and make a difference.
rasta
Lucas or oh dearing needed to come off for Taylor and curteon for Mcglashan
RED ROB
It was his ball joey and called for it. WHY THE HELL he just stood there amazed me.
I'm not going to knock Scotty he's had a good season.
It was his fault alone.
Malabus
Scott should have simply come and catch the ball. That failure to do so has cost us 2 points AGAIN!
thetonga
What are the rose tinters and people claiming Yates getting a new deal was great news's excuses tonight?!
solihullkev
Do you blame Yates for Brown's inability to command his 6 yard box ? No
thetonga
They were bottom of the league playing away from home! Oh yeah I forgot Yates can do no wrong...
Nesty
solihullkev wrote:Do you blame Yates for Brown's inability to command his 6 yard box ? No
LOL
Robin
Yes Brown mistake cost us the goal but there was some awful management in there too, why were we not pushing on to win the game against bottom of the league? Why do some persist to blame the player every season for the same mistakes? No I wouldn't sack Yates but he is at fault more than the players.
Alf
Joey wrote:If there are two central defenders in front of him, surely it's up to the defenders to deal with it and not Brown? There was no communication whatsoever when the ball was coming in. So much for us being better off without Bennett and Elliott at the back!!!.
Disagree. In this situation the keeper should be in control of the box. He can see what is happening in front of him. Brown is a good shot stopper but cannot control the box.
Malabus
And the pitch won't last long by today's viewing. Forget the charitable 45k fee and make this the last season the squatters use our pitch for their park matches. Enough is enough.
51/84
I think they did to us what we did to them in the 1st
Carthorse Ted
Despite the seeming re-appointment of the double act of Laurel & Hardy, sorry, Yates & Howarth, I shall, nevertheless, continue to come to Whaddon Road next season.
It's just that I will be watching proper park football on the Rec instead of lobbing a coupla £100+ to suffer at the ABS/WR where all associated at the Club seem currently to have lost the plot.
ghandi
So,no other club wants the chuckle brothers,i take it that we're stuck with them.How depressing.Mr Baker had his fingers burnt with martin allen and does'nt want to take a chance again with someone new.A 2year extended contract is a joke.A 1Year rolling contract would have been plenty.Every season with yatesy follows the same pattern.He puts together a strong looking squad,everbodys expectations are raised,including the chairman.After that he uses his man-management & coaching skills to f**k everthing up.I think the majority of fans would like to see a change.Next season would have been worth looking forward to,back in the striped shirts,with a manager with fresh ideas.
Nesty
its very hard to comment on what is happening to my club, our club, but its about as low as I have ever felt, even back to the dark days of Southern League Div 1 South or whatever, when we missed the cut to go into the premier. BUT.... there was always the chance that next week we would tonk someone 6-0 and put a smile back on people's faces. I know it is rare in the football league to encounter goal fests, but it would be nice to see us score more than 1 or 2 in a match.

People will choose to react anyway they want, its not knee jerk, its not throwing toys out of prams, it hurts. Nobody is going to Boycott Whaddon Road without good reason, and all the name calling from those more affluent and tolerant wont make the slightest of difference to people who feel that £20 odd quid is far too much to pay to watch the standard of football we have had to endure for all but a few matches this season.

The worrying thing is that there is no guarantee that it will be any better next season or the season after. Yates said 3 or 4 years ago that the plan was to improve year on year. One can argue that the last two seasons have been relatively similar, the 2nd year we didnt make Wembley . The only difference for me was the year we got to the Final, one felt by or large the squad was good enough, with a few additions. The next year it was not, and now... !! we'd get slaughtered week after week with this bunch.