Northampton ratings

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Brown - only had to make one save but his howler gifted them an equaliser which never really looked like coming (5)
Jombati - not tested defensively but not at his best going forward (6)
Brown - bit of a bull dog, one thumping tackle otherwise nothing much of note (6)
Ikwieke - Has a very slight frame for a centre back but solid enough (6)
CBB - apart from running the ball out for a goal kick, was no worse than the rest today (6)
Lucas - neat and tidy the sort of player we need to be signing permanently and playing with Noble and Richards (6.5)
Richards - a couple of very good balls but otherwise ineffective (6)
Deering - neat and tidy, looked one of our few bright sparks (6.5)
Roofe - would like to see us sign this lad, gives us balance although not outstanding today (6)
Harrison - not really in the game at all (5.5)
Cureton - scared them but off side too often for my liking (6.5)
51/84
Not too sure that it was a howler from Scotty - need to see it again. I would ask why was it allowed to come in
Did well with Carters shot
Jombati seemed to have little confidence in his defence
Lucas was outstanding Noble will struggle to get back in
Perhaps we can stop playing the diamond
Cureton had more than enough chances - a fading star

Always going to be a game of 2 halves and ewe were unlucky not to hold on.
You make your own luck and we didnt work hard enough in the second
little mo
6 points off relegation, please don't tell me we are too good to go down, football history is littered with teams who thought that.
Jebolani
Noble will struggle to get back in?!?!?!? Hahahah! He'll slot very nicely in for Matt Richards.
triggo
Thought Lucas was a class above. Cureton poor.
Agree with Mo, on recent games relegation is a distinct possibility.
Looking down rather than up now.
Nesty
Stick Yates on a 10 year deal.
Robin
triggo wrote:Thought Lucas was a class above. Cureton poor.
Agree with Mo, on recent games relegation is a distinct possibility.
Looking down rather than up now.
Seriously how can you say Cureton was poor? I wouldn't say he was great but he was one of our better players today and much better than Harrison. I think some people expect him to beat ten players and score five a game :? . His movement, control, link up play and anticipation are so much better than 95% of forwards in this league.
Campden Robin
Cureton - 6.5??? More like 4 - awful apart from the tap in. Feel really sorry for Terry Gornell.
Uppy
Every attack that we had was ended by Cureton stepping offside. He was incredibly frustrating today.
Robin
Campden Robin wrote:Cureton - 6.5??? More like 4 - awful apart from the tap in. Feel really sorry for Terry Gornell.
Cureton was the only one who looked like scoring! Are you expecting Messi, apart from the off side what more could he have done?
Uppy
When did he look like scoring? Their keeper made one save all game.
1966 vintage
Year after year same old Brown never commands his 6 yard box
Positive Lucas looks a very good young player who can pass a ball
Negative only 6 points of the drop
Robin
Didn't he have it cleared off the line or hit the post too?
theidlerich
Too tricky to rate - only Lucas and Ihiekwe stood out for even 5 or more for me. However I will add a memo which I'm emailing to my colleague sweltering in Sunny Spain.

Last Saturday CTFC threw away a narrow lead at the end of the game because of the second rhino’s [Richards] unnecessary and reckless challenge. Plymouth scored from the free kick with only a few minutes to go. Nice one Richards! It goes without saying that they missed a hatful of chances; main culprits Cureton, Harrison and McGlashen.
So, to to-days windswept match, luckily without the rain, against the club propping up the league. Well a very, very lucky wind assisted goal kick saw a huge bounce which the Northampton goalie missed by several inches; Cureton for once, happened to be on hand to gently roll it in; 1 – 0 nil up inside the first minute. CTFC were playing with the wind; so against a dire defence you would have thought it would be attack, attack. Not so, Deering wandering around like a headless chicken; no McGlashen, no Taylor [thank goodness]; merely Harrison and Cureton up front. Cureton having another very OFF day [ I mean that – he was off-side about 12+ times the first half… so as soon as the ball was punted forward to our diminutive lot [C&D][ it was automatically a free kick to their shoddy, poor, hapless defence. I suspect he needs that 3 or 4 yards start over most defences these days he’s so slow! All in all I believe 2 shots at goal during this half; one decent effort. Two very poor sides trying hard to not outshine each other. How Northampton missed that open goal I shall never know…
Second half CTFC against the wind, much stronger now too. So they cunningly reverted to hoof and hope ball again; ignoring CBB making some decent runs down the left flank; Sido brought into the game occasionally [his heart wasn’t in it really]; No sign of Yates [are they seriously going to renew his contract without some very tough targets??], nor of any substitutions – so obviously needed even after 20mins. CTFC laboured on; but it was the visitors gaining in confidence and belief during the second half; poor marking and quite probably a poor error from Scott B saw their [deserved] equaliser. I will wait to see the replay to apportion blame. Poor decisions and even poorer passing saw CTFC efforts fizzle out. The subs – McG and Gornell for Harrison and Lee Lucas with 8 minutes to go reeked of desperation rather than a thoughtful approach. McG touched the ball at least once – the game was crying out for his skill and speed all afternoon. Lucky to save a point; should have easily gained all three; poor team selection; poor tactics; poor effort, poor game. At least it didn’t rain. The cross-bar challenge livened up the afternoon though and on such a positive note thought our new loanees Lee Lucas and Michael Ihiekwe showed a lot of potential..
Campden Robin
Robin - cureton didn't hit the post, the closest we came to number 2 was Deering's strike that was well saved by Duke after about 35 minutes.
Robin
So what happened when Cureton poked it past the keeper in the 2nd half when breaking the off side trap?
Uppy
Just went wide, I think.
Malabus
Uppy wrote:Just went wide, I think.
It did. Half chance.
Worst miss was Byron header in the first 45'
Uppy
Looked like a difficult chance from where I was. He had to run across to it. Maybe should have worked the keeper, though.