Different spin on new contract

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26048177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yates Last?
Time to move on?
If we sign it!

Interesting
solihullkev
I am certainly not against Yates as a manager, but on any analysis whilst MY may well have ambitions to manage a League 1 or Championship club, I don't think any club in those divisions would currently see Yates as a realistic option ?

Of greater concern, however, is PB's failure to suggest MY can take us to League 1 over next two years ? I do sense a current lack of ambition on the part of the club, which I find disappointing. I'd like to understand why Roofe went back to WBA for example - he is a million to be kept on by WBA and I hoped we were a realistic option for him. Must be a chance we had to tell him he is out of our financial league ?
cheltsaxon
So yet again Baker playing the small club were lucky to have him card!! What is wrong with him?? Mark will want to move up blah blah like we're lucky to have him and were just a stepping stone! Mark hasn't achieved anything in terms of success at any club he has never had a promotion he's an average league 2 manager so stop putting us down Baker were not a non league club anymore!!!!
mattyboi
[quote="cheltsaxon"]So yet again Baker playing the small club were lucky to have him card!! What is wrong with him?? Mark will want to move up blah blah like we're lucky to have him and were just a stepping stone! Mark hasn't achieved anything in terms of success at any club he has never had a promotion he's an average league 2 manager so stop putting us down Baker were not a non league club anymore!!!![/

And how many managers out there have actually won something?? 98% will have 0 trophies to their name, with the majority having 1 if not 2 sackings against them! At least with a 2 year contract we are guaranteed a level of compensation should another club come in for him! And PS I'm pretty sure baker knows we are not non league!
cheltsaxon
most have at last won a promotion in their time.
C.V
Baker ends with those famous words "its a blip" now where have l heard that before :lol:
leohoenig
cheltsaxon wrote:most have at last won a promotion in their time.
In our division, only ten have won promotion at Football Conference or higher level.
Barker could be added to the list, but he only managed 8 games before winning promotion
cheltsaxon
so like I said he's an average manager for our league! 11 managers out of 24 and yates isn't one, howabout the league above where Baker feels Mark should at least be?
Si Robin
Prem:
3 have won a major trophy (or multiple trophies) in England (The League, FA Cup or League Cup)
1 has won a League abroad
9 have won 1 or more promotions (Martinez has won promotion and a trophy, not included at this level)
7 have nothing at all to their name (that I can see)

Champ:
2 have won a major trophy in England
10 have won 1 or more promotions (Redknapp winning a trophy as well)
11 have won nothing at all
I'm unsure on the Watford manager

L1:
12 have won 1 or more promotions
12 have won nothing
Nigel Clough is a grey area as he got Burton into an almost unassailable position in the Conference before joining Derby. Not sure he can be counted though.

NOTE: The above workings are off the top of my head, so there may be errors.
Last edited by Si Robin on 05 Feb 2014, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
baggy89
Why are you not including Martinez at Prem level?
Slothar
Of the current 88 managers in the football league that are permanently employed, 48% have won something, 52% won nothing.
So more have not won a single promotion*, JPT, FA Cup, League Cup, Championship, or play-off.

(* this does not include promotion to the football league, only promotion from League Two, League One and the Championship - I'm not sure how to interpret this skewing of the figures statistically, but promotion to the football league is not the aim which is the rationale behind the omission).

I make it only six current League Two managers (Paul Tisdale, John Sheridan, Keith Hill, Nigel Worthington, Phil Brown and Richie Barker) that have won any of the above, and only one with their current club (Paul Tisdale).

Of these six managers, I think at least three also have a relegation on their record too.
Benctfc
Like I said Yates isn't an awful manager but is tactically limited and often gets out thought by the opposition manager during a match he's an average lower league manager.
Si Robin
baggy89 wrote:Why are you not including Martinez at Prem level?
I have included him. He won the FA Cup last year so is one of the 3 Prem managers to win a trophy in England (the other 2 being Wenger and Mourinho).

EDIT: Moyes has also won a promotion, which I missed, so have updated the list.
Flux
"Mark is a young manager. When he's done his UEFA 'B' licence he'll be one of the most highly-qualified football managers in the country. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't ambitious to move up to a League One or Championship club.
Apart from all those that have the UEFA A and Pro Licence which most if not all managers in the Premiership and Championship already have putting him in a select band of 100's still no guarantee any higher league club would take him on. I doubt its the qualification they look at anyway when they choose a manager. There are non league managers with UEFA B I wouldnt put them in the most highly qualified bracket.
RED ROB
With the money Paul Baker has put in he can say what he wants.
vcinthestand
It is a bit like saying heres a contract extension to a player because I expect to sell you in a few months
It ensures an increase in any compensation when he leaves. It also has the risk if you have to sack them both however
Nesty
i just find the whole business absolutely ridiculous.
kags
I find the bbc article very strange and sends out the wrong message about the club. Do we have a long term plan then if we know the manager is unlikely to see out his new contract?
everyman
51/84 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26048177

Yates Last?
Time to move on?
If we sign it!

Interesting
It looks as though the directors are hoping to see a repeat of the situation where Carlisle paid us for releasing John Ward,it will save them from sacking him in the future.They had a similar idea when appointing the volatile M.Allen,that plan certainly backfired.
Robin
No way is Mark Yates good enough to manage in the Championship despite his ambitions his tactical and motivational skills are barely league two standard. Great eye for a player but he's reached his peak with us and although he may find a league one club willing to take a punt I doubt he would last long there given his failings here.
Artemis
Benctfc wrote:Like I said Yates isn't an awful manager but is tactically limited and often gets out thought by the opposition manager during a match he's an average lower league manager.
Cotts wasn't exactly a tactical genius either, so its not the only sign of a great manager. Cotts always played 3-5-2 or a straight 4-4-2 and by the looks of it he's still doing the same with Bristol City. I'll never forget having secured a 2-2 draw at Kingstonian, he was tactically outdone by the fat walrus face that went by the name of Geoff Chapple in playing Clive Walker - we lost at home.
Benctfc
Artemis wrote:
Benctfc wrote:Like I said Yates isn't an awful manager but is tactically limited and often gets out thought by the opposition manager during a match he's an average lower league manager.
Cotts wasn't exactly a tactical genius either, so its not the only sign of a great manager. Cotts always played 3-5-2 or a straight 4-4-2 and by the looks of it he's still doing the same with Bristol City. I'll never forget having secured a 2-2 draw at Kingstonian, he was tactically outdone by the fat walrus face that went by the name of Geoff Chapple in playing Clive Walker - we lost at home.
Difference is Cotts knew how to win promotion Yates doesn't.
Robin
Biggest difference was Cotts could organise a team into a solid unit and motivate his players to run through a brick wall, Yates has never shown that.
RED ROB
Very different players these days robin, most or even all never thought they would play league football again.
Out for every penny they can get and who can blame them.