Coaching must improve

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ch ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
I agree - lets give Yates a 5 year deal
Malabus
The way we are penny pinching I wouldn't be surprised if PB becomes shooting coach.
Piro Teknix
“Our youngsters haven’t really had that opportunity to establish themselves, probably because we have so many highly paid players in the squad, which makes it more difficult to break through.
And I thought we had been told that we had just an average, mid table budget. :roll: :roll:
Nesty
What is one to believe?
Jon Palmer
12th highest in the division, that's definite.

What PB means is that MY has put the bulk of his budget into a few highly paid (relatively speaking) players.
London Exile
With PBs comments it'll be interesting to see if there are any additions to the coaching staff next season?
Fuller
Rusty to step up maybe ?

What about Murph :o
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Be lovely to see more players trying harder and some youth who have grown up with the club being proud to do an exciting and high paced job for the fans.

Two articles now where Mr Baker has admitted the current policy of a few high paid ancient and bald-gwaded pros at the sacrifice of the wider squad has not worked.

I am glad our chairman sees the future of our club in homegrown players the fans will relate to more. Aside from a new stand, academy success is vital to our long term future.
C.V
I did read Penn and Lowe are enjoying it at York and have never felt fitter.If thats not a statment we are lacking you have to be silly to believe we are really up to scrarch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:I did read Penn and Lowe are enjoying it at York and have never felt fitter.If thats not a statment we are lacking you have to be silly to believe we are really up to scrarch.
Slowness and lethargy on the pitch has been a concern.

A lot of late goals let in - fitness lacking in the closing stages?
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
C.V wrote:I did read Penn and Lowe are enjoying it at York and have never felt fitter.If thats not a statment we are lacking you have to be silly to believe we are really up to scrarch.
Slowness and lethargy on the pitch has been a concern.

A lot of late goals let in - fitness lacking in the closing stages?
So what are we to expect from the next two seasons?
Alf
Straightforward, no strings attached question to which someone may be able to give an answer. Do MY or NH go to watch any of the youth team games or do they rely on feedback?
Ladyrobin
I will probably get slated for this post and all you would be coaches will tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
But the remarks from Penn and Lowe never feeling fitter just sums up what I have said before.
I always get to matches early and watch the warm ups. Our players stop and start, chat, seem to aimlessly kick a ball and chase whilst the opposition always have rigorous routines that they follow with a training coach shouting and pushing them on.
I know lots of you will disagree but it's true. Just watch our players at the back of the line when they are supposed to be running, lifting knees up, the back pair sometimes don't even bother, they just trot.
It sums up to me a lack of training/coaching discipline.
51/84
Its all about looking after your players
Its also about being in the correct frame of mind
Who is the good cop bad cop in Mark and Neil
Other clubs need to be up for it at WR as they know the will be severely tested and intimated so they need to be physically and mentally strong and prepared.
We however know that patient passing and working the ball around will mean that we have the right to play and win.
Ladyrobin
Fair reply but how often do we win with all this patient passing?
London Exile
The influence of Jason Murphy can't be underestimated. Whenever he leaves we seem worse off results wise!
Alf
We all know that at school there were good teachers whose classes we enjoyed and others who could not connect with the pupils as well. Presumably the teachers had, more or less, the same qualifications.
Same applies to football coaching.
I don't know why the fitness levels would appear to be lower than elsewhere.
I always thought that our teams used to stay the pace of games pretty well. Has this changed?
Maybe a bit of a go at amateur psychology from Penn and Lowe?
Malabus
Lowe and Penn to score anytime. Any prices?
C.V
Lets be honest about this Kieth Downing had it right.He in the warmups pushed them so hard when they came off prior to the match they were running in sweat.He never let them stand around like they do now having a natter amonst them selves.He was pushing them all the time and during his time here we never seemed to pick up the niggling hamstring injuries.The players always saw out the 90+ minutes.The fitness levels now are terrible.We have been told Vincent isn't fit send him up to Downing he would be fit within a week.
Paul Baker is right but will he do anything about it.Howarth might well be Yates 's mate but is he really doing a good job with the fitness training l think not.
Uppy
Jobs for the boys. Let's start looking outside the box.
ghandi
To intraduce youngters to 1st team football they need to be playing regular competitive matches.Ideally your 1st team should be winning the odd home game comfortably,this gives you the chance to bring a youngster on to get the feel of of the game under no pressure.As what i've just said seems very unlikely,it makes you wonder why we are bothering with a youth policy.
CheltRobin
Good posts RCS and CV - This season has seen a lack of pace throughout the side (bar McG). We certainly need to address this for next season - our current match tempo is just too slow. The comments by Penn about now being fitter at York (if true) paint a worying picture at WR. I think for next season, there does need to be an addition to the coaching staff - someone to push both the players and Yates/Howarth more than this season.
The youth policy certainly needs to be pushed further in the upcoming seasons. The less we have to rely on loan players in future the better.
Uppy
Wouldn't surprise me about Penn. Always seemed to be knackered by 70 minutes.
RED ROB
As seen today, anonymous in the 2nd half apart from trying to get young Lucas sent off.
Lowe as ever enjoyed York's style of play launching it down the line at every opportunity.
Uppy
The Keith Lowe long diagonal ball is missed. :(
vcinthestand
We need reserve football or u21 football
We changed fitness coaches has that made a difference?
John Murphy has reappeared as a director with responsibility for the youth set up I think.
Surely the article refers to the transition to adult football
While premiere and championship teams ship their youngsters out to the likes of us, where do our youngsters go?
Its no point them sitting on the bench never to make an appearance
I notice from his after match interview Zack and Hanks are being talked about.
Some will see it as another money saving scheme. However as we write off the chances of getting into the playoffs and edge to safety then I hope we do see Zack and Hanks and Dale start getting game time.
At least Yates will be able to judge if they are worth keeping or not. There was another group of youth coming through but we need to have a strategy to get the best out of them
I wait with bated breath what new develops are being hatched
Perhaps one of them will turnout to be our first £1million player
I-Love-CTFC
London Exile wrote:The influence of Jason Murphy can't be underestimated. Whenever he leaves we seem worse off results wise!
I was going to mention Jason Murphy, very good fitness coach, I really don't know why we got rid of him. We seem to have had more injuries when he hasn't been here and some of that must come down to conditioning.
Nesty
The players can be "coached" from now until eternity, but what is needed is organisation and motivation. That's down to the manager, and the constant shuffling of players surely is not helping.
Ladyrobin
Totally agree Nesty.
We never seem to play the same team twice, we introduce new players and then not see them again or they sit on the bench.
There has to be a way of playing a settled team to give some confidence.
Expect the team at Rovers will again be different, and before I am castigated, it is not always down to injuries. Some of our team have played in so many different positions their heads are spinning !!!