Web chat today (Friday)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
At gloucestershireecho.co.uk from noon - come and have your say
Joey
Does anyone know who develops/maintains the Echo website?
Uppy
How many people tend to be on for the web chat, would you say?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:Does anyone know who develops/maintains the Echo website?
Why do you ask?
Joey
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Why do you ask?
I get bombarded by ads whenever AdBlock isn't running and there's quite a few trackers on there picking up my browsing habits etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Why do you ask?
I get bombarded by ads whenever AdBlock isn't running and there's quite a few trackers on there picking up my browsing habits etc.
That's why I don't use the site much anymore - not because of the tracking, but because it's annoying when the ads play and blare out noise over what I am trying to watch.

I don't know what you hope to achieve by contacting the developer - one of the nations largest media groups is offering content, including live text commentary of games and regular videos for free.

If you want free content you have to expect adverts I'm afraid. Tracking makes advertising more profitable so that's just as inevitable. Surely you are not supporting restricting what people can do on-line?
Joey
I understand that free content usually means having to see advertising, however there is such a thing as "good advertising". Plenty of sites advertise without ruining the user experience and don't need to put content behind a paywall like The Sun and The Times have. I don't plan to contact the developer, just curious to know who they are.........so I know to avoid them.
Ralph
Good luck with that. Your going to check every website before you look at it to see who responsible for it? If you don't like what on a site, don't view it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:I understand that free content usually means having to see advertising, however there is such a thing as "good advertising". Plenty of sites advertise without ruining the user experience and don't need to put content behind a paywall like The Sun and The Times have. I don't plan to contact the developer, just curious to know who they are.........so I know to avoid them.
This very website is the worst for bad advertising of any site I regularly use - at least the echo and other things display appropriate content related to things I have searched for and viewed.
Joey
Ralph wrote:Good luck with that. Your going to check every website before you look at it to see who responsible for it? If you don't like what on a site, don't view it.
No. :|

However when I visit a page on the Echo and this happens:

Whoever manages their website has a pretty poor policy when it comes to areas such as accessibility and usability.

It's silly to say "don't view it" when it's the only independent news site that provides strong coverage of CTFC. For most sites I can simply go elsewhere and get similar content but for the Echo there is no alternative.
Uppy
Most people use Adblock nowadays, I think. The age of mass advertising online is slowly coming to an end.
Ralph
I don't get any bad ads here at all. Nothing intrusive in the slightest on these sites
51/84
just wait until the advertising video run and press pause then start the CTFC web chat or video - simple