Yates turns down new contract offer

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Si Robin wrote:
Robin wrote:So how is the Allen era any different to now from a fans perspective they are both periods of poor football and value.
Are you serious?

The Allen era was horrific. From constantly being talked down on Sky Sports, to his God awful message on a Friday. Not forgetting that we didn't know who would be turning out from one week to the next. I know people are saying there is no connection to most of the players this season (I agree by the way), but at least we've seen the majority of them play in at least 10 games or more.

Not only that, but we were embarrassed by teams we had no right being embarrassed by. We only lost 4-0 to Accrington under his stewardship, bit in all honesty it could, and should, have been a cricket score. They would have left the field more pissed off than us.

Then there was the embarrassment he brought to the club's door. I won't use the unsubstantiated report that eventually got him sacked, but the dropping of his trousers in the Salisbury is a shocking way for the manager of a football club to behave in the town. Players who are still heavily respected at the club (John Finnigan for example) were practically begging the fans to protest to get him sacked (witnessed with my own eyes).

We as Cheltenham fans have been so spoilt over the past 18 years that we're classing a mid-table season as a shocker. It simply isn't. It's not great, and it certainly isn't what we expected, but we had it so much worse as little as 5 years ago, and Yates deserves credit for turning that around. Credit that he simply hasn't ever received from too many people on here.
It's like I thought it, and you wrote it in a manner that is understandable without all the swearing in it. Nice one.
CheltRobin
Top post Si on the Allen era. Agree that Yates certainly has saved us from sinking into non- league, administration and who knows what else! Deffo an underachieving season, Yates needs to show next season that he can recover from this and WR buzzing again, as it was 2 sessons ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
Robin wrote:I thought we had 1850 home fans versus Scunny and that away fans kept the total figure over 2000? Note. I didn't actually check this but a crowd of under 2000 total would be horrid.
The figure of 1850 included season ticket holders who did not attend, of which, judging by the empty seats around me, there were many.
I'm still waiting for verification that that is the policy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:2004-5 3648
2005-6 3453 (promotion)
2006-7 4359
2007-8 4310
2008-9 3854 (relegation)
2009-0 3243
2010-1 2980
2011-2 3425
2012-3 3253
2013-4 2995 (first 20 games)

All from European football stats except current season (football365).
Is that just league? Wikipedia (veracity unproven I know) is where I got my lower League Only figure from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80 ... .C._season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I'm still waiting for verification that that is the policy.
I can assure you that my source of information on this subject is totally reliable, in fact they even went so far as to inform me that the non attending season ticket holders were included in that figure.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:My point really was that posters on here were being criticised not long ago for stating how dissatisfied they were with this season. Now, it appears, the critics are agreeing.
No.

I am not satisfied.

I do not think it warrants all the moronic over the top hoo-hah and months of wanting the manager out and threatening not to renew season tickets.

Why does everything have to be so polarised and extreme - are our fans really that silly?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I'm still waiting for verification that that is the policy.
I can assure you that my source of information on this subject is totally reliable, in fact they even went so far as to inform me that the non attending season ticket holders were included in that figure.
Hardly a controversial issue - no need to refer to your secret source. Give us a name.

I am sure PG can confirm either way.
CheltRobin
I thought it was common knowledge that all Season Ticket Holders are always included in the home attendance figures - Im sure its been mentioned several times at the fans forum.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CheltRobin wrote:I thought it was common knowledge that all Season Ticket Holders are always included in the home attendance figures - Im sure its been mentioned several times at the fans forum.
If it is then that's fine - just seems very odd.

Apologies for questioning!
CheltRobin
Makes the current crowds look even worse thou!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CheltRobin wrote:Makes the current crowds look even worse thou!
I'd rather they just said how many were in the ground.
C.V
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
CheltRobin wrote:Makes the current crowds look even worse thou!
I'd rather they just said how many were in the ground.

To many things to consider.Free kids,free press passes,free scouts passes, free family tickets for players,the kids that run around with the flags, probably well into three figures on freebies.A fair few who are in the ground dont pay
leohoenig
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Is that just league? Wikipedia (veracity unproven I know) is where I got my lower League Only figure from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80 ... .C._season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EFS is league only
Peter Griffin
It's a sign of the level of expectation Yates has given us that a season in which we lie in 11th place, still with a very faint flicker of hope of the play offs, is a poor season.
mattyboi
taxidave wrote:
Robin wrote:I thought we had 1850 home fans versus Scunny and that away fans kept the total figure over 2000? Note. I didn't actually check this but a crowd of under 2000 total would be horrid.
The figure of 1850 included season ticket holders who did not attend, of which, judging by the empty seats around me, there were many.
I was under the impression all turnstiles are set to zero before they open and only people through the gate are counted. PG did state the other week 180 season ticket holders failed to attend 1 game, Surely they knew this as they counted all the season ticket stubs received on the day and deducted that from total season ticket holders. Im sure match day attendances are only those through the gate, this is for health and safety reasons should something unforseen occur they need to know how many people to account for.
taxidave
Season ticket holders have to be included because they have paid for admission to that fixture.
Fuller
Interesting article here http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/G ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
taxidave wrote:Season ticket holders have to be included because they have paid for admission to that fixture.
Exactly. The seat, or standing space, has been bought for that match. It's all done on ticket sales/seats sold for the match.

Also, the turnstiles wouldn't be completely accurate due to the dozen or more people in wheelchairs/on crutches, all the people who are in the boxes, etc, who access through other entrances.
mattyboi
Shade wrote:
taxidave wrote:Season ticket holders have to be included because they have paid for admission to that fixture.
Exactly. The seat, or standing space, has been bought for that match. It's all done on ticket sales/seats sold for the match.

Also, the turnstiles wouldn't be completely accurate due to the dozen or more people in wheelchairs/on crutches, all the people who are in the boxes, etc, who access through other entrances.
Imagine this as a scenario, we play a match on a Tuesday night and nobody attends, every single stand is empty, empty boxes everything. Will they announce the attendance as 1100 which is around the number of season ticket holders we have. I doubt it very much, an attendance is exactly that, those that attend.
Joey
Never run out of things to argue about......
Shade
mattyboi wrote:
Shade wrote:

Imagine this as a scenario, we play a match on a Tuesday night and nobody attends, every single stand is empty, empty boxes everything. Will they announce the attendance as 1100 which is around the number of season ticket holders we have. I doubt it very much, an attendance is exactly that, those that attend.
Sigh. It doesn't matter how many are there. It's those that have PAID to attend that matter. Money is what it's all about at the end of the day.
asl
So when does a business like a football club recognise the VAT on a season ticket? Is it at point of sale or is it pro-rata'd each qualifying home match of the season? Just curious. That could have a bearing on why attendances are quoted including STH, whether or not they attend.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:So when does a business like a football club recognise the VAT on a season ticket? Is it at point of sale or is it pro-rata'd each qualifying home match of the season? Just curious. That could have a bearing on why attendances are quoted including STH, whether or not they attend.
Must be point of sale surely?

If it was done every match then we get into the territory of freebies for kids - they can't charge VAT on a per person basis (attendance) as it can only be charged on sales (tickets for that match). So season ticket holders have paid their VAT so don't need to be included in attendances for that reason.

I personally don't care by what means people are in the ground, whether season, freeby, voluntarily paying double - when I am told an attendance figure I want it to be exactly that, i.e. how many people are in attendance.