Sums up the club at the moment

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

C.V
51/84 wrote:I am amazed and think there are some who just like winding people up

I am unsure what the problem with the diehards

1 Is it Yates
2 Style of football
3 Formations played
4 The players
5 The results
6 the Match day experience

as far as I am concerned it is a bit of all but mainly results followed by the players

I want to be entertained but first and foremost its results
That said I will be back in my seat for next season God willing

All of the top five Yates gets players in pisses them of playing his video game formations.If Ronaldo came here he would probably play him at right back.He hasnt improved hes getting worse hence our position in the league.For me let it continue one day the penny will drop with some of our "Numpty non league fans"
Si Robin
I'm sorry CV, forgot you are the only person with a valid opinion on things.

Close the Nest down, CV has spoken. Those who don't walk away in the summer are "numpty non-league fans". Ignoring the fact that some of those supporting Yates have never seen Cheltenham in non-league.
taxidave
Is it normal for you to be in the office on a Sunday afternoon Simon ? :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I want us to win the league next season which is why I will be buying a season ticket next season and going to as many games as I can.
Robin
I want promotion back to league one but hold little hope of it happening and expect another bottom half finish the way things are shaping up.
Reliant Robin
taxidave wrote:
Jebolani wrote: If Yates can get in some decent players, will the fans who have left come back? I, for one, hope they don't.
What an astonishing statement to make, I am sure Mr Baker would disagree with you most vehemently. We are down to a fanbase of about 2000 fans and yet you do not want to see this grow, surely the only way to obtain bigger playing budgets and greater solvency for the club is for attendances to increase but you do not want this to happen.
You are so wrong TD. I can totally see why Jebolani doesn't want the stay away 'fans' to come back, because they have shown no loyalty & do their best to drag the Club down at any opportunity. That doesn't mean to say they are the only fans who should be encouraged to show their support to Gloucestershire's only Football League Club - there are plenty of youngsters being encouraged to attend matches & the future fan base will be built on them, not on the stay-away whingers and complainers, that lot will be confined to the past & will be quickly forgotten.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:
taxidave wrote:
Jebolani wrote: If Yates can get in some decent players, will the fans who have left come back? I, for one, hope they don't.
What an astonishing statement to make, I am sure Mr Baker would disagree with you most vehemently. We are down to a fanbase of about 2000 fans and yet you do not want to see this grow, surely the only way to obtain bigger playing budgets and greater solvency for the club is for attendances to increase but you do not want this to happen.
You are so wrong TD. I can totally see why Jebolani doesn't want the stay away 'fans' to come back, because they have shown no loyalty & do their best to drag the Club down at any opportunity. That doesn't mean to say they are the only fans who should be encouraged to show their support to Gloucestershire's only Football League Club - there are plenty of youngsters being encouraged to attend matches & the future fan base will be built on them, not on the stay-away whingers and complainers, that lot will be confined to the past & will be quickly forgotten.
Personally, I want as many people to come to games. Even if they damage the team's chances by creating a negative atmosphere it's their loss and the club has their money in the bank - and every penny is needed.
taxidave
Reliant Robin wrote:You are so wrong TD. I can totally see why Jebolani doesn't want the stay away 'fans' to come back, because they have shown no loyalty & do their best to drag the Club down at any opportunity
So now there are 2 of you who do not want fans to return to Whaddon Road, I am sure Mr Baker will be doubly pleased.
I cannot speak for others but I have shown loyalty for over 60 years not just since we became a League club, as a matter of interest how long have you been supporting CTFC, I know Jebolani cannot have been attending for very long.
Perhaps if you volunteered to do a bit more to help the club instead of just criticising other fans on this forum the club would be in a much healthier state.
Reliant Robin
taxidave wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote:You are so wrong TD. I can totally see why Jebolani doesn't want the stay away 'fans' to come back, because they have shown no loyalty & do their best to drag the Club down at any opportunity
So now there are 2 of you who do not want fans to return to Whaddon Road, I am sure Mr Baker will be doubly pleased.
I cannot speak for others but I have shown loyalty for over 60 years not just since we became a League club, as a matter of interest how long have you been supporting CTFC, I know Jebolani cannot have been attending for very long.
Perhaps if you volunteered to do a bit more to help the club instead of just criticising other fans on this forum the club would be in a much healthier state.
Nice one Dave, I bow to your twisted logic & your incredible ability to only quote the part of my last post that suits your embittered argument. If you genuinely believe that Jebolani & I have the wish to see less fans at Whaddon Road, then you clearly struggle with nuance or have no understanding of the concept. There is a major difference in the meaning of loyalty & your interpretation of it, irrespective of how many years you feel you have shown it, because it is not just about turning up each week, year after year. Loyalty for me includes not bringing the good name of what you believe you stand for into disrepute. Just because someone has attended for 60 years should not give them the right to try and turn others against an administration.

And you have no idea what I do or have done for the Club over however many years because I see absolutely no reason to try and use that as an advantage in a debate.
taxidave
Reliant Robin wrote: And you have no idea what I do or have done for the Club over however many years because I see absolutely no reason to try and use that as an advantage in a debate.
I will take that to be nil then.
Reliant Robin
taxidave wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote: And you have no idea what I do or have done for the Club over however many years because I see absolutely no reason to try and use that as an advantage in a debate.
Haha 8-)

If only you knew, eh ?
CheltRobin
Good posts RCS - Like you, I will be back next seasom, ST in hand, hoping for better things. I'll also attend as many away matches as possible, as much as my finances allow.

As for the stay away fans - a decent season and there'll be queuing up for the last few matches at WR - don't be surprised if you get some gentle banter towards you for not turning up for the previous 7 months!
taxidave
Reliant Robin wrote:
taxidave wrote:
Haha 8-)

If only you knew, eh ?
Yes if only I knew, so don't be shy, tell us.
ctfcshire
51/84 wrote:I am amazed and think there are some who just like winding people up

I am unsure what the problem with the diehards

1 Is it Yates
2 Style of football
3 Formations played
4 The players
5 The results
6 the Match day experience

as far as I am concerned it is a bit of all but mainly results followed by the players

I want to be entertained but first and foremost its results
That said I will be back in my seat for next season God willing
2 and 6 are the biggest problems, mid table is okay if you see some slightly interesting games, unfortunately this season it has been boring (with the exception of Crawley and Morecambe at home). Also number 1 a bit, Yates should never have got rid of Penn and has failed to realise that we NEED another winger.
Si Robin
taxidave wrote:
For your years of service David.

Jebolani
taxidave wrote:
I obviously wasn't being serious. Give me strength.
Jebolani
I've been supporting since 04/05 TD. Does that make you better than me? Of course I want as many fans at the ground as possible, just find it ridiculous when you don't attend because the team aren't playing as well. So embarrassing.
51/84
I would be interested to know what people do to help the club as Dave has in the past and Jebolani has recenly other than attend and buy a ST and 500 club and trust and shares and volunteer to paint , clean seats put up placards wash kit etc
taxidave
Jebolani wrote:
taxidave wrote:
I obviously wasn't being serious. Give me strength.
So it is just Reliant Robin who doesn't want the stay away fans to return, well what a surprise.
51/84
well Dave so as to not leave RR all on his own, I will agree that those who leave now should never be obliged to visit WR again.
Why should I have to suffer along with RR and no one else
Robin
Jebolani wrote:I've been supporting since 04/05 TD. Does that make you better than me? Of course I want as many fans at the ground as possible, just find it ridiculous when you don't attend because the team aren't playing as well. So embarrassing.
Do you believe fans are staying away just because we are not playing well? I would argue it's because of that but also high prices and little optimism for things improving in future.
Adam_
CheltRobin wrote:Heard 2nd half on way back from Brum. 2 more sitters missed, not surprised by Deering missing or in fact by Cureton, judged on this season's efforts. Still, another point away, only 3 defeats in 16 away matches now.
I was there, Cureton's wasn't what I'd call a sitter as he had to try loft it over the keeper, Deerings however was.

Not defending Cureton in any way btw, I personally think he's utterly useless.

Was a pretty boring game tbh.
Reliant Robin
taxidave wrote: So it is just Reliant Robin who doesn't want the stay away fans to return, well what a surprise.
Dave, that really is pathetic. Is that your best shot?

You've tried the "I have supported the club longer than anyone" "I go to all the away games" "I'm not going to attend games in future ... " bleats. It is beginning to sound like a cry for help.

Your quoting of myself & Jebolani as not wanting 'stay away' fans to come back actually shows that you are trying to blame us for your self created blind alley and that you probably want people to beg you to keep coming because you see yourself as the most loyal supporter ever & no one should challenge your doom laden views.

I for one would welcome you back next season (your rail information is invaluable for starters ;) ) but please think on about trying to encourage other supporters to stay away as it is hugely detrimental to the Club.
taxidave
Reliant Robin wrote: I for one would welcome you back next season (your rail information is invaluable for starters ;) ) but please think on about trying to encourage other supporters to stay away as it is hugely detrimental to the Club.
I have never stated that I would not be attending games next season merely that I would not be purchasing a season ticket and would be picking and choosing my matches depending on current performances, the weather, competition from tv broadcasts and admission prices. Furthermore I have only ever said what I intend to do next season and have never tried to influence others, I am sure people on here are quite capable of deciding these things for themselves.
Reliant Robin
taxidave wrote:
Reliant Robin wrote: I for one would welcome you back next season (your rail information is invaluable for starters ;) ) but please think on about trying to encourage other supporters to stay away as it is hugely detrimental to the Club.
I have never stated that I would not be attending games next season merely that I would not be purchasing a season ticket and would be picking and choosing my matches depending on current performances, the weather, competition from tv broadcasts and admission prices. Furthermore I have only ever said what I intend to do next season and have never tried to influence others, I am sure people on here are quite capable of deciding these things for themselves.
Not quite sure what you mean there then Dave? You claim you're not stating you "would not be attending games next season" but that you "would be picking and choosing games"? That sounds to me as though you will miss games then? But by putting it In2Print (did you see what I did there? :twisted: ) you will have directly or indirectly influenced others because you have also given reasons previously about team performance this season influencing your decision not to buy a season ticket next season. Why else would you publicise your view?
taxidave
I am certain that no fans who read this forum will make a decision on whether or not they attend matches from reading my comments on here any more than they are likely to attend because you have said how good the matchday experience is at Whaddon Road.
Reliant Robin
taxidave wrote:I am certain that no fans who read this forum will make a decision on whether or not they attend matches from reading my comments on here any more than they are likely to attend because you have said how good the matchday experience is at Whaddon Road.
Then praise be for that, Dave. But remind me again, where and when did I say "how good the match day experience is at Whaddon Road"? I like the sound of that, and would want to be able to refer to something akin to that when responding to doubters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Jebolani wrote:I've been supporting since 04/05 TD. Does that make you better than me? Of course I want as many fans at the ground as possible, just find it ridiculous when you don't attend because the team aren't playing as well. So embarrassing.
Do you believe fans are staying away just because we are not playing well? I would argue it's because of that but also high prices and little optimism for things improving in future.
Correct - but how to break the cycle? Football is expensive and is not getting any cheaper and Baker already said we will have no money in a year or two.
robinsrule
Look at Liverpool. Rodgers has come in with roughly the same budget as previous managers and got the same players playing a brand of football which Hodgson couldn't. Of course it's not always the case, and changing our manager would be a gamble in many respects, but the alternative is to risk being stuck in midtable (or worse) and lose more fans next year due to Yates' mismanagement of his resources.

I would say that overall Yates has done a very good job here, but if were my choice I'd send him on his way in the summer with a firm handshake and a big thank you. When a relationship goes stale sometimes there is nothing to do but change it.
51/84
It is absolutely pointless getting rid off in the summer usually as the incoming does not know what he has
That said it looks like we have 5 or 6 players signed for next season so not a major problem

I assume the contract problem is some sort of performance clause that means that if the manager is not up to the mark then he can be got rid off cheaply

This uncertainty is not helping

A 1 yr rolling contract would be the best solution
Sign the contract or get out Yates baker whoever
Jebolani
Robin wrote:
High prices? They didn't mind that when it was exactly the same last year and we were playing well :lol:
ctfcshire
Jebolani wrote:
Robin wrote:
High prices? They didn't mind that when it was exactly the same last year and we were playing well :lol:
People will spend money when the football is good and when the football is sh!t they won't bother.

When you go shopping you might be willing to spend £60 on a pair of brand new trainers, but that doesn't mean you will be willing to spend £60 on a pair of 2nd hand trainers with a hole in from Oxfam.
Robin
Jebolani wrote:
Robin wrote:
There were plenty staying away last year too because of the high prices!
Jebolani
When you go shopping you might be willing to spend £60 on a pair of brand new trainers, but that doesn't mean you will be willing to spend £60 on a pair of 2nd hand trainers with a hole in from Oxfam.
Here we go again, back to 'I'll only support the club when they're playing well'...
taxidave
Jebolani wrote:Here we go again, back to 'I'll only support the club when they're playing well'...
Jebolani what you and others on here do not seem to have grasped is that the England has changed since the days when workers left the mines, mills, factories and offices on a Saturday afternoon, went to the pub and then to football. Nowadays people have a choice of how to spend their leisure time and money and if the product is poor then people will decide to go elsewhere. It is not just about only supporting the club when they are playing well it is about wanting value for money and if the football club cannot provide it then people will seek out other leisure activities, be it another team or something completely different.