Almost a fight between the away fans at Exeter - why???

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Campden Robin
What on earth is going on?

What is the point in travelling 115 miles or more just to cause aggro and sing "Baker Out" and "Yates Out"?? It got so bad myself and several others had to move.

Were our "fans" thrown out at half time? Why was there almost a fight?? Took 2 people to their first game of the season Saturday and I just couldn't explain this to them??

Used to love going to away games...
CS85
If singing songs is now classed as causing aggro then footballs gone down the shitter.
Also I'd imagine the point of the Yates out song was to make a point they want the manager gone!? Yeah seems about right.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I believe Hubert Parry reported similar scenes at Exeter last season or the season before, saying it was very uncomfortable and unpleasant. Must be something about the fans that go down there.
I-Love-CTFC
I believe the people involved were idiots who were more concerned about getting absolutely hammered before the game rather than watching the football.
51/84
last season there was a lot at stake but there were the Ive been to bashley brigade giving it at the kids in the fancy dress costumes and then there was the usual lets make a dick of of ourselves brigade
It was not a particularly pleasant afternoon out and although the sun shown and we won I have had more fun on a wet Sunday in a tent!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:last season there was a lot at stake but there were the Ive been to bashley brigade giving it at the kids in the fancy dress costumes and then there was the usual lets make a dick of of ourselves brigade
It was not a particularly pleasant afternoon out and although the sun shown and we won I have had more fun on a wet Sunday in a tent!
Shame when a mindless few ruin it for the majority. That's why I really enjoyed Hartlepool. Everyone thefe supporting the team and nothing else.
CheltRobin
Experienced similar situations over the past 2 seasons - Northampton, Burton, Torquay, Dagenham, Newport.

Highly amusing thou to see them being chucked out and seeing their cash wasted - as long as it wasn't tax payers' cash of course.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CheltRobin wrote:Experienced similar situations over the past 2 seasons - Northampton, Burton, Torquay, Dagenham, Newport.

Highly amusing thou to see them being chucked out and seeing their cash wasted - as long as it wasn't tax payers' cash of course.
Yup, liked it last season when black-jacket kid was ejected.

No wonder people are put off going away or spread out at away games when this happens!
Robin
How dare people sing Yates out, is this thread for real?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:How dare people sing Yates out, is this thread for real?
The thread was not about singing Yates out - it was about almost fighting between fans.
RubyRuby
Ah yes, the group that would have you believe they're Cheltenhams most loyal and passionate supporters - so loyal and passionate one of the group loudly proclaimed they were leaving just after half time to go to the pub because "I'm not staying to watch this s#!t".
vcinthestand
Robin wrote:How dare people sing Yates out, is this thread for real?
I dont know if you are serious or not, but if you are its the result of them reading and being encouraged by the shut stirrers on here and elsewhere
Robin
No VC you need to accept there are plenty of regular fans who want Yates gone, I've heard plenty of times in the LMI this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:No VC you need to accept there are plenty of regular fans who want Yates gone, I've heard plenty of times in the LMI this season.
I don't care who fans want gone and who they want in - what I do not want is fans turning on fans on the terraces.
Reliant Robin
Robin wrote:No VC you need to accept there are plenty of regular fans who want Yates gone, I've heard plenty of times in the LMI this season.
Not true Robin. The infamous "Sack Yates Now" poll of 18 January 2014 yielded just 20 votes in favour (and some of those will be duplicate accounts) and I am a season ticket holder in the LMI so I know it's never more than 2 or 3 people (always the same people) who vent their spleens if we concede a goal.

So that's about 1.15% of the core CTFC support.
ctfcshire
Reliant Robin wrote:
Not true Robin. The infamous "Sack Yates Now" poll of 18 January 2014 yielded just 20 votes in favour (and some of those will be duplicate accounts) and I am a season ticket holder in the LMI so I know it's never more than 2 or 3 people (always the same people) who vent their spleens if we concede a goal.

So that's about 1.15% of the core CTFC support.
...because 100% of CTFC fans voted on that poll :roll:
mattyboi
Singing 'Yates out' is one thing, which i can understand, but im prepared to give him another year, however respect others opinion. But if true and some sang 'Baker out', that is abit below the belt and will not achieve anything. Anyone who thinks a Russian/Middle eastern sugar daddy will take over must live on a different planet. No one supports this club more than PB and with out him we simply wouldn't have a football league club. Id be interested to know if people really want the chairman gone and if so what/who do they want ans an alternative? Some fans across the country would give their right arm to have a club like ours, look at what Coventry fans have to put up with, Pompey were playing Europe less than 10 years ago, Luton (although just promoted) have had numerous points deductions. Rushden and diamonds folded, Leeds united, Glasgow Rangers, Wolves, ...............and here some are complaining because we havn't achieved a 3rd year in a row promotion push, yes this season hasn't been good enough, but i just wish some would look at the bigger picture.

Sent from a laptop using BT broadband
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Missing the point - the complaint is about fans turning on fans and close to fighting. Not Yates.
51/84
Perhaps the reason they sang Baker out is that Baker had prevented them from attending Whaddon Rd or had perhaps asked them or at least their mates to behave and or moderate language and behaviour.
I think you will find that some support the Robins but some also just want to get hammered.
It might just happen if the visit Luton next season
Robin
I don't want Baker our but I feel he has made some bad decisions recently including hte change of kit and the decision to offer Yates a new deal.
Peter Griffin
Never get why the people who always seem to be getting chucked out/having run ins with steward feel so hard done by. I often have a beer or two before a game but somehow I am able to perform the apparently very difficult task of conducting myself in a manner that means I've yet to be thrown out of a ground or exchanged unpleasentries with a steward. If these people can't handle their drink then they should drink less or not at all.
DingDing
From what I gather, there are a bus load of Cheltenham based Leeds fans that travel down on a jolly for the Exeter game each season... I remember a few of them last year when I was there getting some close attention from the police.
Robin
The above is not true DingDing the bus driver is a Leeds fan the rest are hardcore Cheltenham and hvae been going home and away for years.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The above is not true DingDing the bus driver is a Leeds fan the rest are hardcore Cheltenham and hvae been going home and away for years.
Punching Sheff Wed keepers in the process?
Robin
No it's a different person completely i.e this is an older guy in his forties.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:No it's a different person completely i.e this is an older guy in his forties.
I wasn't referring to the driver - I was jesting about the rest of the group.
RubyRuby
Hardcore? Really? Is hardcore support travelling away only to stay for 45 minutes because you either get kicked out by half time or as at Exeter on Saturday, leave because you'd rather be in the pub? Does hardcore support not only sing that they want our chairman out but then ask him for a wave only to shout "eff off Baker" at him? Quite insulting to the real hardcore support who do travel away week in week out and manage to stay for the whole game if you ask me.
kora
If hardcore means going to a lot of games then yes they are; if it means being good fans then I don't see a group who let off flares/smoke bombs push our younger fans around and argue with stewards at every opportunity as being an asset to our club and the quicker they are banned from all gounds the better for the reputation of this club the better.
Robin
Yes they go to a lot of games but they are the ones who normally get the LMI going, it's the old BB15 crew which most I am sure will be familiar with.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Seems to be some posts missing in this thread.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Yes they go to a lot of games but they are the ones who normally get the LMI going, it's the old BB15 crew which most I am sure will be familiar with.
Surely though no matter how loud and hard core, if they breach the rules and are given a warning they should be banned. Something you fully agree with Robin?
ctfcshire
kora wrote:If hardcore means going to a lot of games then yes they are; if it means being good fans then I don't see a group who let off flares/smoke bombs push our younger fans around and argue with stewards at every opportunity as being an asset to our club and the quicker they are banned from all gounds the better for the reputation of this club the better.
When has this happened?
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Yes they go to a lot of games but they are the ones who normally get the LMI going, it's the old BB15 crew which most I am sure will be familiar with.
Surely though no matter how loud and hard core, if they breach the rules and are given a warning they should be banned. Something you fully agree with Robin?
If their behaviour is incorrect yes but this is the grey area, a few beers and being jovial should not incur a ban or ejection as was the case down at Newport.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Depends, if stewards give an instruction and decide to police something in an over the top or hypocritical way then that's that - if they say do it again and you're out and you do it again you are out no matter how trivial.
taxidave
Newport was a case of, who you are, and not, what you did.