4 Young Robins Offered Deals

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc1
MrsWardenHill
Great news just what we need. Bring the youngsters on. Good luck lads.
Cinderford robin
This is good for the club, if hanks gets offers a new deal that's six young prospects.
Cheltenhamshire
Good news. I hope Kotwica, Hanks and Williams get more first team chances next season as they are widely regarded as the most likely players to fulfil their potential. Hopefully Bowen, Powell and Dale can gain some experience by going out on loan somewhere.
Robin
Hopefully these lads will be eased into the team and ensure a larger squad size on cheap wages next season.
Cinderford robin
Agree robin Yates can build a stronger first 11 but have these lads in and around it
taxidave
Robin wrote:Hopefully these lads will be eased into the team and ensure a larger squad size on cheap wages next season.
That's the way it looks as though it is going but I presume it will be reflected in the price of admission and season tickets.
CheltRobin
I reckon ST prices will hold steady, although I would like to see them reduced, along with general admission prices next season. No-one should have to pay more than 20 quid to watch the Robins - I know I wouldn't and I refuse to go to away grounds were they charge more than 20 quid for L2 - 20 is plenty!

Excellent news regarding the 4 young lads - I expect to see our own players being much more integrated into the match squads next season - This will help to re-ignite local interest in the club - well, hopefully anyway!
51/84
Yes Dave

So why not put your suggestion up now and then the panel will have an alternative option when they are asked to approve Mr Bakers decisions
Uppy
Congratulations to them.
MrsWardenHill
taxidave wrote:
Robin wrote:Hopefully these lads will be eased into the team and ensure a larger squad size on cheap wages next season.
That's the way it looks as though it is going but I presume it will be reflected in the price of admission and season tickets.
Doom and gloom, doom and gloom!
CheltRobin
I think Robin was being positive, but accurate on the squad / wages for next season.
taxidave
But is it doom and gloom or just coincidence that this season we have produced 4 players worth giving contracts to whereas normally we get one if we are lucky. We have already got Hanks and Williams but neither has been able to step up, Kotwica gets the odd few minutes at the end of a game but has not yet shown that he is worthy of a regular first team place.
Everyone seems to be very excited about bringing on our own youth players but is this being dictated by finances rather that ability.
When was the last time one of our own youth made it into the first team on a regular basis.
CheltRobin
TD - Disagree about Kotwica - most ti es this eason when he's come on, he's made an impact, both at home and away matches - At Oxford, he was particularly good.

Hanks andWilliams need more match time to show what they can do. I'm sure a hard summer in the Gym will do all 3 the power of good.

Yes, it's been awhile since the days of Bird and Theo Lewis, but now we really do have a setup which might start producing some local talent for the club. The youth system stagnated under MA becuase he kept bringing in 18/19 yr olds from his cockney contacts.
Uppy
Thing with Hanks is that we said the exact same thing last year. I appreciate he's only a young lad, but surely he should be getting some game time, rather than constantly being knocked down the pecking order?
taxidave
CheltRobin wrote: The youth system stagnated under MA becuase he kept bringing in 18/19 yr olds from his cockney contacts.
But isn't that more or less what Yates has done this season.
mattyboi
taxidave wrote:But is it doom and gloom or just coincidence that this season we have produced 4 players worth giving contracts to whereas normally we get one if we are lucky. We have already got Hanks and Williams but neither has been able to step up, Kotwica gets the odd few minutes at the end of a game but has not yet shown that he is worthy of a regular first team place.
Everyone seems to be very excited about bringing on our own youth players but is this being dictated by finances rather that ability.
When was the last time one of our own youth made it into the first team on a regular basis.
Bit harsh on Zak i feel, remember he still a youth player, this time next season im pretty sure Zak will have 20 starts under his belt, Williams looks like an exciting prospect at the top of a diamond, for him to really excell Yates needs to bring in an experienced holding midfielder that does the Steven Gerrard role at Liverpool.
Red Duke
It would be appreciated if somebody could give a view of each of the four players.

e,g, Position(s)
Left /right / two footed
Similar to a well known player
height / build
LongDistanceRobin
James Bowen - left sided full back or winger - reminds me of young Julian Dicks - 6ft Medium Build
Adam Powell - two footed CM playmaker - 6ft 2ish good in the air as well - reminds me of a young Glenn Hoddle
Harry Williams - two footed attacking CM - could be anything given time and games - 5ft 10 Medium Build - will need to get in the gym - reminds me of a young Frank Lampard
Bobbie Dale - striker - 6ft ish - strong and holds the ball up well in a 4-5-1 formation and gets the midfield involved - sometimes drifts out of the game but its hard work up front on your own - Alan Smith ish!

All my own opinion - definite West Ham influence!!
hEaLeR
Red Duke wrote:It would be appreciated if somebody could give a view of each of the four players.

e,g, Position(s)
Left /right / two footed
Similar to a well known player
height / build
Bowen - Left back or Left midfield - 100% effort and commitment, not afraid of a tackle.

Powell - Central / Left midfield - Powerful left foot, tall rangey player.

Williams - Attacking midfield - Scores goals, already tasted first team action (Exeter & Fleetwood)

Dale - Forward - Decent hold up play, normally plays as a one up front, not the biggest or quickest but always seems to be in the right positions to score.

Best of wishes to all the youth players including Rivers, Hamilton and Keightley who missed out on deals today.
Horteng
taxidave wrote:But is it doom and gloom or just coincidence that this season we have produced 4 players worth giving contracts to whereas normally we get one if we are lucky. We have already got Hanks and Williams but neither has been able to step up, Kotwica gets the odd few minutes at the end of a game but has not yet shown that he is worthy of a regular first team place.
Well said Dave. I know a lot of the youth set up is funded by grants etc but ultimately its job is to produce first team players..... Something that doesn't really happen
hEaLeR
Horteng wrote:
Well said Dave. I know a lot of the youth set up is funded by grants etc but ultimately its job is to produce first team players..... Something that doesn't really happen
We won't know how good they are unless we give them a chance. Would we rather have our youth players or uninterested loan players.

Not just picking on one player but Sam Deering has been at the club for two years and he's got zero goals and zero assists. Does anyone else believe that Harry, Zack or Joe would have had stats like that if they had played the same amount of games.
Benctfc
As others have said it's ok giving these players contracts but they need to play and be given a chance. Take Hanks for example highly rated been a here for a while now at least 2 seasons but hasn't started once. Yet we keep signing youth loans like Lucas and Roofe give our youth a chance.
CheltRobin
TD - Valid point about Yates. The most annoying thing for me this season (bar the sales of Lowe + Penn), is that even thou the season has been drifting along, he has bought in a load a 1 month loan signings which haven't added anything to the squad and I don't believe were that interested in playing for us.

I don't see how trying Zak, Harry or Joe in thier positions would've seen any worse off frankly. Hopefully Yates will give them their due run-outs during the last 2 matches.
Robin
I think it's harsh to say the loans were not interested in playing for us, I suspect it's more they felt badly managed when here as they often played once or twice only to then be dropped for under performing players (who likely had an axe to grind with the manager).
CheltRobin
Maybe - but considering the quality of the clubs they came from, I expected a lot more.
asl
CheltRobin wrote:Maybe - but considering the quality of the clubs they came from, I expected a lot more.
That's never been any guarantee, though: Peter Hynes on loan from Villa, anyone....?
CheltRobin
Indeed. I think the lack of impact from most of the loanees this season, just about sums up the 2013/14 season for Chelt - Underachievement.
Robin
Prem clubs take and retain a lot of first year pros, many of which don't make it as pro footballers so we should not expect them to make our team. Of all we signed I would only take Goldson, Roofe and maybe Lucas full time here.
CheltRobin
Really? None of those were that consistent - Roofe showed Prem glimpses, but it didn't last. I would say Noble and Brundle have been the best loanees this season by far.
Robin
Roofe I think will make a decent lower league winger, Goldson will be decent in league one and Lucas could develop into a pro footballer but not of them will make it at the top. Agree also on Noble but too many injuries in my view.
Malabus
Joe Hanks recalled from Gloucester.
CheltRobin
About time too!
Uppy
Hopefully he plays then!
CheltRobin
Hope so.