Duncan Culley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

I-Love-CTFC
According to Richard Joyce, Shortwood United striker Duncan Culley will be on trial with us in pre-season. https://twitter.com/RichardDJoyce/statu ... 7726928900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also reported on the Echo website: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Sh ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joey
Best of luck to him.

I also see on his Twitter that Jake Lee has gone to Shortwood.
Nesty
good luck to the lad. They all have to start somewhere.
everyman
Nesty wrote:good luck to the lad. They all have to start somewhere.
it`s late to start your career at 25,is it to soon to panic about our chances this season ?
Si Robin
It's a trial. Much like when we signed Gary Bradshaw. If he's up to it, then great we'll pick up a bargain. If not, then he's back in non-league.

No-one loses
taxidave
So 4 lads from the youth team, possibly a 35 year old keeper from a conference side and a striker from Shortwood, no sign of any cost cutting so far !
Cinderford robin
Yeah Ian wright started late, Charlie Austin was a big flop when signed for Swindon from Poole. Jesus let the manager do his job. Why is it cost cutting giving youth players a contract, they are obviously good enough it don't matter that they are from our academy.
taxidave
Cinderford robin wrote:Yeah Ian wright started late, Charlie Austin was a big flop when signed for Swindon from Poole. Jesus let the manager do his job. Why is it cost cutting giving youth players a contract, they are obviously good enough it don't matter that they are from our academy.
In the whole time we have been in the Football League we have only managed to develop Shane Duff and David Bird into regular first team players so what makes you think that these 4 are going to break the mould.
JCON
What;s wrong with cost cutting if we are making less money? Look at Hereford
Si Robin
taxidave wrote:
Cinderford robin wrote:Yeah Ian wright started late, Charlie Austin was a big flop when signed for Swindon from Poole. Jesus let the manager do his job. Why is it cost cutting giving youth players a contract, they are obviously good enough it don't matter that they are from our academy.
In the whole time we have been in the Football League we have only managed to develop Shane Duff and David Bird into regular first team players so what makes you think that these 4 are going to break the mould.
A different Youth team manager, that some on here were touting for the manager's role. More opportunities due to the cost-cutting you keep referring to. Better players coming through than we've had previously.

There's numerous reasons.
Robin
This summer is slowly unfolding to be another let down as some suggested it would be. Nothing against this lad coming on trial but so far we have lost two of our best players, have a thread bare squad low on quality and experience, taken a punt on a non-league player (albeit one who looks promising) and signed a player who comes with a reputation of not being too good.
Robin
By the way I am happy to see youngsters filling out the squad and if they can play 5-10 games each they will have done well. However we need some quality and so far I don't see that happening.
JCON
IT'S THE START OF JUNE! 2 MONTHS UNTIL THE SEASON STARTS!

Get a grip. Painful
Si Robin
I'm already sending my season ticket back JCON. Admittedly I don't have it yet, but that's not the point.

I can't believe we haven't made signing after signing this week!!!!
taxidave
JCON wrote:What;s wrong with cost cutting if we are making less money? Look at Hereford
The problem is we appear to have a Board of Directors who are unambitious and who are unwilling or unable to invest further funds into the club.
Nearly 1000 fans have speculated up to a weeks wages on season tickets in the hope that the coming season will be an improvement on the last, it would be nice if the Board was to put in a similar amount.
JCON
So spend money we don't have? WHere do people think this money comes from to "invest". So short sited. Scary really
Si Robin
taxidave wrote:
JCON wrote:What;s wrong with cost cutting if we are making less money? Look at Hereford
The problem is we appear to have a Board of Directors who are unambitious and who are unwilling or unable to invest further funds into the club.
Nearly 1000 fans have speculated up to a weeks wages on season tickets in the hope that the coming season will be an improvement on the last, it would be nice if the Board was to put in a similar amount.
How do you know what they have and haven't put in?

I'd rather we cut our cloth accordingly as opposed to spunking money on players who may not be right for the team. If we struggle, so be it, but at least I won't spend next summer wondering if I'll have a club to support.
Robin
JCON wrote:IT'S THE START OF JUNE! 2 MONTHS UNTIL THE SEASON STARTS!

Get a grip. Painful
Ah so that's ok then is it? Were you one of the ones saying we would be promoted last December and we should give Yates time :? If you see something bad coming on the horizon do you sit and pretend it will go away or do you call it out :?:
taxidave
JCON wrote:So spend money we don't have? WHere do people think this money comes from to "invest". So short sited. Scary really
If our board of directors do not have the money to invest they should make way for others who can.
Robin
I agree Dave, I would certainly like to see more investment from board level. After last season the club had a real opportunity to send positive messages out and show their was ambition but no they give Yates a deal and we get uninspiring transfer activity.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:
JCON wrote:IT'S THE START OF JUNE! 2 MONTHS UNTIL THE SEASON STARTS!

Get a grip. Painful
Ah so that's ok then is it? Were you one of the ones saying we would be promoted last December and we should give Yates time :? If you see something bad coming on the horizon do you sit and pretend it will go away or do you call it out :?:
What do you see on the horizon? What can you possibly judge the summer on when the players don't even return to training for another 3/4 weeks? What are you actually expecting? Player after player waltzing through the door?

Shrewsbury and Bury aside, hardly any other clubs in League 2 have made a mass number of signings. Football clubs are cutting their cloth accordingly and players are holding out for the right deals.

The fact you talk down a player that hasn't even played for the club yet is laughable as well. How can you possibly judge Asa Hall before he plays for the club?
Si Robin
Back on Topic:

Steve Guinan's comments when asked if he'll think Duncan Culley can make it:

"Don't see why not. Big challenge to earn a contract but he's strong, quick & scores goals. Perhaps a bit raw at times"
JCON
Bring people in? HAHAHA.

What if people aren't interested? Laughable

What if someone with money comes in with the wrong motives? End up like pompey, Rushden and Diamonds, Stockport and many others.

And no i thought now would be the time to let Yates go but he isn't going so why pester him
Robin
In response to Si I see another poor season on the horizon, it's clear hte problems last year were down to the manager yet some blamed the players. Now we are cost cutting and bringing in inferior players, we may find ourselves in a serious relegation scrap for the third time under this current manager.
JCON
Maybe lesser in talent but better attitude which we need to kick on.
confused.com
Robin wrote:I agree Dave, I would certainly like to see more investment from board level. After last season the club had a real opportunity to send positive messages out and show their was ambition but no they give Yates a deal and we get uninspiring transfer activity.
Jaysus, you never fail to let us all down !!! PB has often said, if ANYONE else wants to put the money in, he will be happy to hand over. Bloody hell, it's very easy to sit at your keyboard and tell others how to spend their hard earned money. Why not throw your savings at it ?????
confused.com
looking forward to next season, a few folk with the shirt on with something to prove, rather than the 'disappeared' from last season. It is clear the problems last year were down to the players, yet some blamed the manager.
Nothing new in Robin's views on Football, year after year of successive $hite England teams - solution - sack the manager (countless times). Problem - $hite players !
Robin
confused.com wrote:looking forward to next season, a few folk with the shirt on with something to prove, rather than the 'disappeared' from last season. It is clear the problems last year were down to the players, yet some blamed the manager.
Nothing new in Robin's views on Football, year after year of successive $hite England teams - solution - sack the manager (countless times). Problem - $hite players !
What has the c!#p about England got to do about anything especially as I have always said England as a team are well over hyped and over rated.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:In response to Si I see another poor season on the horizon, it's clear hte problems last year were down to the manager yet some blamed the players. Now we are cost cutting and bringing in inferior players, we may find ourselves in a serious relegation scrap for the third time under this current manager.
Where's your evidence of this? We've signed two players. One from the Conference, but very highly thought of, and another who has been playing in the Football League for the last 6 years, and for the back end of last season was playing in League 1.

As I stated before, how can you possibly judge them before seeing them in a Cheltenham shirt?

When we signed Keith Lowe there were moans and groans because he was c!#p apparently. From January to May all we heard on here is how we shouldn't have let him go.
Robin
I've seen Hall play against us, didn't think he was terrible but he didn't stand out either. I don't need to see him play for us before forming an opinion. Hopefully he will go on to be a good player for us however fans of previous clubs don't think he's better than average league two and some feel conference is his level.
Si Robin
I've not seen a single fan refer to him as Conference level. All I've seen have referred to him as League 2 standard.

Remind me, what league are we in??
Ralph
Si Robin wrote:I'm already sending my season ticket back JCON. Admittedly I don't have it yet, but that's not the point.

and what about PG if he's in Brazil for up to a month. As he's club sec, whos going to do all the paperwork for the new signings.. OMG he's not there, the players will sign elsewhere. All the cost cutting measures, i'm sure theres no one else that can do it :)
Jebolani
taxidave wrote:
Have you actually ever seen them play? If you'd watched them you'd know Kotwica will definitely make it, oh and Williams scored the most youth league goals last year.
confused.com
Robin wrote:
confused.com wrote:looking forward to next season, a few folk with the shirt on with something to prove, rather than the 'disappeared' from last season. It is clear the problems last year were down to the players, yet some blamed the manager.
What has the c!#p about England got to do about anything especially as I have always said England as a team are well over hyped and over rated.
Because Robin, you continually blame the ,manager and was merely pointing out it seems to be a symptom of those that share your opinion, that everything falls on teh shoulders of the manager. If the players are C!#p then there is not much he can do about it. In an england managers job, he is limited to the quality of the players he has through birth, for MY, he is limited to the quality of players we have due to lack of money. But as usual, the blinkered, can only see one problem .... the manager. If you can not see and understand that simile - I apologise.
If a team is successful, who do you aportion that success to ? The Manager ? The players ? Both ? Because after an unsuccessful season (by our recent standards), you can and your erstwhile friends can only find one person at fault
confused.com
Ralph wrote:
Si Robin wrote:I'm already sending my season ticket back JCON. Admittedly I don't have it yet, but that's not the point.

and what about PG if he's in Brazil for up to a month. As he's club sec, whos going to do all the paperwork for the new signings.. OMG he's not there, the players will sign elsewhere. All the cost cutting measures, i'm sure theres no one else that can do it :)
:lol: unless .......... he is out there for some other reason entirely !!!! Robin and friends have put up the cash for a couple of players, handed it over to PG and he is off on a spending spree ????