Duncan Culley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
I'm surprised someone like Gloucester haven't given the lad a chance to be fair.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I'm surprised someone like Gloucester haven't given the lad a chance to be fair.
He said it was a dream come true to wear the red and white - can't believe he'd ever willingly wear the black and orange.
Robin
Gloucester may not be a big club like us but they are still a big jump up from Shortwood.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I wasn't commenting on the size of club.
Robin
Do you really think we have a rivalry now?
Malabus
Robin wrote:Do you really think we have a rivalry now?
Not a bitter relationship as it once was; but Gloucester are our main rivals.
Robin
Historically I agree Mal but in reality there is no real rivalry anymore in my view. I don't see us playing them competitively in the near to medium future, probably longer - same as Hereford.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Do you really think we have a rivalry now?
I don't consider there to be a rivalry, but it doesn't stop personal dislikes and I was making a light hearted remark that as boy who dreams of red and white, I like to think he would not wear orange and black.

Same way I would never welcome Mansell as a CTFC player after what he said. Wouldn't ever want Steve Evans or Tony Pulis as manager, etc etc.
Artemis
Robin wrote:Historically I agree Mal but in reality there is no real rivalry anymore in my view. I don't see us playing them competitively in the near to medium future, probably longer - same as Hereford.
Whilst I don't have any affinity with Gloucester City AFC at all, and when we played them I really, really, really couldn't stand the thought of them winning against us, I think its worth putting into perspective that we are only two divisions apart from them, i.e. one (very) good season for them, and a bad one for us would see us playing them in a league fixture the following season. Put it another way, we get promoted this season, and we'd be playing the relegated Championship clubs next season. Who'd have thought we'd play Leeds or Forest?
Yes, I know, the Tiggers don't have their own ground, and are not full time, but we weren't full time either when we won promotion to the league, and at the time had gates similar to Glos. But as Hereford and Stockport have found out, things can change very quickly when a club is mismanaged or over-extends itself, even in the shortish-term of two or three seasons.
Robin
Appreciate that Art I just believe it's extremely unlikely particularly with PB in charge and I would feel there is more chance of Glos dropping down a level and us going up a level in the next few years.
Artemis
Quite possibly Robin. I too can see Glos slipping down a level, until they move back to Gloucester. Then I can see their gates growing, and them exceeding their current lower table position; and who knows, getting into the Conf Prem.
For ever grateful that we have Paul B in charge, who having been bitten once, no longer seems to gamble on short-term gain at the expense of longer-term stability.
Robin
Out of interest Art why do you see Glos gates growing given how far ourselves and FGR have moved ahead of them? I just don't understand why local fans would pick them over ourselves and FGR.
51/84
is stability the same as sustainable ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No it's not 51/84 - we could be stable but making a loss. Or stable and not investing in the future. Neither are sustainable.
daveangel1972
Artemis wrote:
Robin wrote:Historically I agree Mal but in reality there is no real rivalry anymore in my view. I don't see us playing them competitively in the near to medium future, probably longer - same as Hereford.
Whilst I don't have any affinity with Gloucester City AFC at all, and when we played them I really, really, really couldn't stand the thought of them winning against us, I think its worth putting into perspective that we are only two divisions apart from them, i.e. one (very) good season for them, and a bad one for us would see us playing them in a league fixture the following season. Put it another way, we get promoted this season, and we'd be playing the relegated Championship clubs next season. Who'd have thought we'd play Leeds or Forest?
Yes, I know, the Tiggers don't have their own ground, and are not full time, but we weren't full time either when we won promotion to the league, and at the time had gates similar to Glos. But as Hereford and Stockport have found out, things can change very quickly when a club is mismanaged or over-extends itself, even in the shortish-term of two or three seasons.
You're far too reasonable and bright for a few on here matey! :)
Malabus
Gloucester will never reach our superior heights of world soccer and Cheltenham will never get relegated to the hoof and hope league during the rest of the little time I have on this plane of existence.

So our competitive rivalries are well and truly over....which is lucky for them because we always destroyed them on the field of play.
daveangel1972
Are you not well?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
daveangel1972 wrote:
Artemis wrote:
You're far too reasonable and bright for a few on here matey! :)
Robin reasonable and bright....you really are on a wind-up Dave! :shock: ;)
Artemis
Robin wrote:Out of interest Art why do you see Glos gates growing given how far ourselves and FGR have moved ahead of them? I just don't understand why local fans would pick them over ourselves and FGR.
in the same way that our gates would drop if we had to play out of Cheltenham and / or were relegated, similarly Glos' would go up if they played in Gloucester and / or were promoted
daveangel1972
Don't be daft RSC, I was referring to Arty!
Robin
Point accepted however I wouldn't anticipate a significant increase because many people in the North of Gloucester will follow us and in the south they have FGR, I may be wrong but competition counts and now they have gone from being the counties second team to it's third.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Point accepted however I wouldn't anticipate a significant increase because many people in the North of Gloucester will follow us and in the south they have FGR, I may be wrong but competition counts and now they have gone from being the counties second team to it's third.
I really hope CTFC are marketing intensively across Gloucester and the schools there.

If we can get the kids there growing up as CTFC fans before Gloucester return to the City it would help us, and also be good to have them wearing red and white before FGR nab them or get in the League.
London Exile
I think Conference North/South would make the best and most natural step up for Culley.
Gloucester would make sense in terms of locality although whether he'd get in ahead of Griffin, I'm not so sure.
Worryingly for me, I think they've got a very good manager in Tim Harris and with his contacts I'm scared they might be an outside bet for the playoffs
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:I think Conference North/South would make the best and most natural step up for Culley.
Gloucester would make sense in terms of locality although whether he'd get in ahead of Griffin, I'm not so sure.
Worryingly for me, I think they've got a very good manager in Tim Harris and with his contacts I'm scared they might be an outside bet for the playoffs
Didn't know they introduced relegation play-offs in the north/south divisions?
Robin
Agree Exile I think Gloucester will be in for a good season this time around and would not expect them to be near the bottom of the table.
CheltRobin
Culley tried his best and was gutted he didnt make it, but the jump was proably too much - was it 5 levels difference from Shortwood? A huge jump nethertheless. You would have to be some kind of player to make that jump successful.

Although he's back at Shortwood for the mo, don't be surprised if he moves up 1 or 2 levels either this season or next.
mattyboi
Scored a goal tonight whilst on trial with oxford united. A cross/shot. Could still grace whaddon road this season, just in yellow not red and white!