Duncan Culley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Glad we are looking at D.Culley, playing at that level and scoring 39 goals shows hunger and we desperate need that. Not players just turning up for the wage.
We need the Steve Bull and Neil Grayson in today's game...putting on the shirt giving 100% for the shirt and football comes first.
Last edited by Malabus on 06 Jun 2014, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
confused.com
Malabus wrote:Glad we are looking at D.Culley, playing at that level and scoring 39 goals shows hunger and we desperate need that. Not players just turning up for the wage.
We need the Steve Bull and Neil Grayson in today's game...putting the shirt giving 100% for the shirt and football comes first.
spot on
CTFC03
This a little bit over the top for me, we are in June, we know Yates doesn't tend to do all the business in June, we also know Yates's biggest strength is player recruitment, whilst I'm worried about next season we need to stay calm and see who comes in and then see how they play first 10-15 games before relaxing or panicking!

Best of luck to Culley, several have come out of non league, Mackail Smith, Gayle etc.
Si Robin
Malabus wrote:Glad we are looking at D.Culley, playing at that level and scoring 39 goals shows hunger and we desperate need that. Not players just turning up for the wage.
We need the Steve Bull and Neil Grayson in today's game...putting on the shirt giving 100% for the shirt and football comes first.
Nail on the head Mal.

I see no risk in giving Duncan Culley a trial. He could be the next Charlie Austin, on the other hand he could be the next Gary Bradshaw. Let him work at it in pre-season and let Yates make a decision.
Robin
But I don't believe anyone sees any risk with giving him a trial Si. The concern is more that dramatic drop in quality of targets.
confused.com
If we do not buy Suarez I am sending my ST back - end of
asl
Robin wrote:The concern is more that dramatic drop in quality of targets.
Some 'quality targets' we landed in the last couple of seasons turned out to be anything but. Cureton may simply have been unlucky with our system - but Taylor and Richards arrived with an excited fanfare.

Fingers crossed that some of our signings this summer turn out to be absolute gems with a bright future in League 1 or above - whether with CTFC or not.
taxidave
confused.com wrote:
Robin wrote:I agree Dave, I would certainly like to see more investment from board level. After last season the club had a real opportunity to send positive messages out and show their was ambition but no they give Yates a deal and we get uninspiring transfer activity.
Jaysus, you never fail to let us all down !!! PB has often said, if ANYONE else wants to put the money in, he will be happy to hand over. Bloody hell, it's very easy to sit at your keyboard and tell others how to spend their hard earned money. Why not throw your savings at it ?????
Why should I throw my savings at it when Baker, who has far more than me, seems reluctant to do so. I know he has invested heavily in the past but at the moment he does not seem to have the desire to see the club go forward or perhaps he just does not trust the manager to spend the money wisely and unfortunately he appears to be the only member of the board with sufficient funds, indeed some members would seem to be so poor they cannot even afford to buy shares in the club, perhaps they would like to buy mine. :roll:
Si Robin
Robin wrote:But I don't believe anyone sees any risk with giving him a trial Si. The concern is more that dramatic drop in quality of targets.
Is he a "target"? I'd call it testing the water, giving him an opportunity.

I'd say a target is someone we are hoping to sign in the expectation that they will improve the team, as Vaughan and Hall are. As I don't know any of Mark Yates' other targets, and despite your protestations I doubt very much you do either, I don't see how you can say there has been a drop in the quality.
confused.com
taxidave wrote:
confused.com wrote:
Robin wrote:I agree Dave, I would certainly like to see more investment from board level. After last season the club had a real opportunity to send positive messages out and show their was ambition but no they give Yates a deal and we get uninspiring transfer activity.
Jaysus, you never fail to let us all down !!! PB has often said, if ANYONE else wants to put the money in, he will be happy to hand over. Bloody hell, it's very easy to sit at your keyboard and tell others how to spend their hard earned money. Why not throw your savings at it ?????
Why should I throw my savings at it when Baker, who has far more than me, seems reluctant to do so. I know he has invested heavily in the past but at the moment he does not seem to have the desire to see the club go forward or perhaps he just does not trust the manager to spend the money wisely and unfortunately he appears to be the only member of the board with sufficient funds, indeed some members would seem to be so poor they cannot even afford to buy shares in the club, perhaps they would like to buy mine. :roll:
Exactly TD, and who are we to say what spare liquid assets he has to throw at the club ? I know if I was his family, I would be wondering why he bothers at all and instead, invest it or keep it for them
Robin
Si Robin wrote:
Robin wrote:But I don't believe anyone sees any risk with giving him a trial Si. The concern is more that dramatic drop in quality of targets.

I'd say a target is someone we are hoping to sign in the expectation that they will improve the team, as Vaughan and Hall are. As I don't know any of Mark Yates' other targets, and despite your protestations I doubt very much you do either, I don't see how you can say there has been a drop in the quality.
Look at the players we are being linked with now, we've gone from shopping at M&S/Waitrose to shopping at Lidl and Aldi or maybe Tesco budget range.
Ralph
100% correct
Ralph
Robin wrote:
Si Robin wrote:

Look at the players we are being linked with now, we've gone from shopping at M&S/Waitrose to shopping at Lidl and Aldi or maybe Tesco budget range.
theres some better stuff to find in lidl and aldi than sainsburys. You just have to scratch the surface
Miles Platting
Culley? Isn't that character still in Midsomer Murders?
THECHOIRBOY
Funny thing football.

If we hadn't taken him on trial and had signed Danny Hylton for example and then this Culley Chap signs for Newport and knocks in twenty the same people would be moaning saying we should be looking for home grown local talent. No win!
Darren Angels budgie
Funny how giving a promising local lad a chance - a trial, nothing more - is used by the usual suspects to have yet another go at the manager and chairman.

How predictable.
Robin
Nobody is saying don't give him a trial though Choirboy.
THECHOIRBOY
Agree to a point Robin

But people are saying things about setting out targets lower and shopping at Aldi etc

I know they may not be specifically linked to Culley but as have all been said on this thread I think there may be an underlying belief for some!
Ralph
Darren Angels budgie wrote:Funny how giving a promising local lad a chance - a trial, nothing more - is used by the usual suspects to have yet another go at the manager and chairman.

How predictable.
I'd rather have Culley playing his heart out for the club than someone like Cureton just picking up the monthly wage (and a wage of maybe 2 or 3 players combined)
Ralph
oh and lets welcome Culley to the club with some of the comments on here like "tesco value brand" and assorted other remarks.. well done guys
Uppy
There is literally nothing to lose. Can't see why anybody can have a complaint about this.

If we DIDN'T offer him a trial then I'm sure those same people would be complaining that we didn't get a player who was right under our nose.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Local lad scores goals and gets trial at bigger local club.

Is that not what football is about? If in the trial he is obviously not up to L2 then don't sign. If he is then do.

If some fans are moaning about this on a sunny day in June heaven knows what they will be like if losing away at Bury on a dank November eve.

Let's support any new signings and support the effort the club are making to rebuild the squad and bring some passion and excitement back to matches.
CheltRobin
Agree with that RCS. As I see it, over the next few years, the Chelt team could parallel the England team that Hodgson is trying to build - Younger, hungrier players, playing for the pride of their shirt.

As we know from last season, if the players don't gel together, whether formation or personality-wise, your're in for a pretty dismal season. Yes, the upcoming season may see a lot less experienced players out on the pitch, but if they are together as a TEAM, then that's half the battle won before they even step out onto the pitch.
Reliant Robin
God this forum is so predictable ... but that's why I enjoy it ;)

The same small handful of disaster die-hards always on it & they never ever give up :mrgreen:

There will be plenty of trialists over the summer, there are plenty of pro's without club's, there is plenty of time.

And why would any Director want to invest their money in any team where a proportion of the fan base does nothing but criticise the club from top to bottom - to include the Board, the Manager and even the Youth Development? In fact, the only group of people with any connection to the Club that doesn't incur the wrath & criticism of the disaster diehards is ... "themselves" - just a bunch of onanists then, really :lol:
joes dad
Darren Angels budgie wrote:Funny how giving a promising local lad a chance - a trial, nothing more - is used by the USUAL SUSPECTS to have yet another go at the manager and chairman.

How predictable.
Correct
horlickfanclub
I look forward to seeing Duncan Culley play. Anyone who gets 39 goals at any level can progress up. There are decreasing numbers og goalscorers in football and div 2 had the worst bunch last season i have seen since we have been in the league. Let us hope he makes it.

On finance- Directors cannot be expected to pour money down a black hole.
Robin
Ralph wrote:
Darren Angels budgie wrote:Funny how giving a promising local lad a chance - a trial, nothing more - is used by the usual suspects to have yet another go at the manager and chairman.

How predictable.
I'd rather have Culley playing his heart out for the club than someone like Cureton just picking up the monthly wage (and a wage of maybe 2 or 3 players combined)
Curo was a professional while here Ralph, I appreciate you did not see him but he was not one of the bad apples even if at times he did become frustrated on the pitch.
51/84
Robin you refer to bad apples
do you mean the non triers or some others

If it is so others who were the bad apples Lowe and Penn went - but surely not
Jermaine and CBB non triers
Elliot Brown and Brown were surely the bedrock of the team
Byron pulled through
So I assume , and correct me if I am wrong that you must be referring to others

Richards played 46 matches so not him, Sammy and Taylor and Terry are the only ones left other than the kids and the loans , so who are or were the bad apples
CheltRobin
Cureton was definately 1 of the triers last season - even if he missed a load of simple chances (especially for him) that could've taken him close to 20 goals. Also, whilst his wage wasn't the smallest, it wasn't the largest either. I believe Curo was at Chelt to play for the club.

Non-triers last season for me were McG and, despite his 46 matches, Richards - he wasn't the player we were promised. CBB - To be fair to him, I believed he did try, but he's just a bit c**p as a LB - Yates - give him a go at LM in the pre-season friendlies.
Uppy
Agreed. I actually think that Cureton was probably trying too hard. The number of times that he was offside was ridiculous.
London Exile
I really don't get the uproar in offering DC a trial?
It's costing us nothing to look at the lad and if the management team are impressed by him then its a good move.
I'm sure the club will be looking at more established and experienced pros over the course of the summer so I'm not too worried at the minute.
Even then, what's in name? I remember when we signed Wes Thomas unwanted by the mighty Dagenham, probably one of the few clubs I would consider smaller than us, that turned out ok (until he wanted out)
CTFC03
To sum up last season, most of the players suffered because of the dopey diamond and were not being managed properly.
Uppy
We absolutely need to put more crosses in next season. We were probably only putting in a few a game at some points (excluding corners and free kicks). We don't have players good enough to unlock defences through fantastic through balls, so let's get some crosses into the box and let Harrison and whoever else feed off them. How many times did we concede from free headers, etc? Defenders at this level aren't going to mark you out of the game, so let's exploit those weaknesses!
Liberator
[quote]and players are holding out for the right deals[quote]

Not just players, clubs too. You go in too early and you pay higher wages
confused.com
51/84 wrote:Robin you refer to bad apples
do you mean the non triers or some others

If it is so others who were the bad apples Lowe and Penn went - but surely not
Jermaine and CBB non triers
Elliot Brown and Brown were surely the bedrock of the team
Byron pulled through
So I assume , and correct me if I am wrong that you must be referring to others

Richards played 46 matches so not him, Sammy and Taylor and Terry are the only ones left other than the kids and the loans , so who are or were the bad apples
Oh come of it !!!! Are you actually expecting facts, rather than throw away lines ? You MUST know that MY was one of the bad apples, if not all of them :lol: