Spirit of Cheltenham EFL XI

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We all know it is the Spirit of Cheltenham that keeps us punching above our weight. When we have that extra thing which no other club does.

It got me thinking. Who would the all time Spirit of Cheltenham Football League eleven be?

I don’t necessarily mean players who were the best. I also don’t mean the type of players who were legends here but messed us around moving to Colchester to be closer to family in Liverpool, or who engineered a bargain basement move to their Gran’s stomping ground in South East London, or who spat the dummy out at home against Notts County.

I mean those players who bleed red and white, ran through walls, played with 100% effort every time. Players who stuck with us, who embodied the club and never tried to use us as a stepping stone. The players who gave their all for peanuts and enjoyed it.

My thoughts on a match day squad which, regardless of the result, would never be booed off and would out run the opposition man for man every game.

Scott Brown: his interview calling out the wasters like CBB may never be bettered.

Gill: We all dream of a team.
Gallers: part of the L1 clean sheet record setting duo with Caines.
Caines: part of the L1 clean sheet record setting duo with Gallers.
Victory: the benchmark for every LB.

Bird: One club man and some of the Club’s greatest moments.
Finners: nothing to add.
Sercs: unbelievable he has stayed with us for so long now. If we stay up then maybe the best of all time?

Spencer: definition of the Spirit of Cheltenham.
Grayson: the benchmark for every player’s effort and dedication.
Lloydy: he gets knocked down but gets up again.

Subs:
Booky
Brough
Keith Lowe
Bloomer
Penn
Dale Watkins
Alsop
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 14 Feb 2024, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
asl
I will fight anyone who doesn't include John Brough on such a list.

I'd pretty much include any team assembled by SC - over-achievers, all.
Si Robin
Absolutely, Boka, Banks and Brough are all over Gallers and Caines I'm afraid.

I'd even throw Alan Bennett in defence. I think my defence would be Gill, Benno, Boka and Victory. Shouldn't forget Steve Elliott of course.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It’s a game of opinions and we all have to leave some players out.

I’ll never forget those few months when Gallers seemed to be keeping us in L1 singlehandedly, whether in defence or midfield. Sometimes a player makes an impression on you which transcends football.

But I can’t argue against Banks and Boka, and Brough is probably in my top 3 (or 5) of all time.
Shade
I'd probably go with Gallinagh as well based on this criteria. When you looked at him, he really had no right playing in League One and I guess that ended up showing by how quickly he disappeared from League football altogether at 26, and yet he's got the record number of consecutive clean sheets in League One for Cheltenham to his name. He was never a nailed on starter despite 130 appearances over 9 years at the club.

He's 38 now, playing at Stratford Town since 2017.
plymrob
I'd have Book and Brough in my first XI.
plymrob
Jamie Victory - definately too. He was league quality when we were very non-league.
duckers
Longy has a strong case to be in the squad
Ihearye
Would always have grant McCann. Even when he left us he did it the decent way
Shade
Ihearye wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 18:11 Would always have grant McCann. Even when he left us he did it the decent way
He came from West Ham, though. He always had the talent, and went on to play for clubs in the Championship. Not really playing above himself. Definitely one of the best players we've ever had, though, and probably the best, technically.
1985CTFC
No mention of Russ! Lee Howells as well
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 18:41
Ihearye wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 18:11 Would always have grant McCann. Even when he left us he did it the decent way
He came from West Ham, though. He always had the talent, and went on to play for clubs in the Championship. Not really playing above himself. Definitely one of the best players we've ever had, though, and probably the best, technically.
Sorry didn't know it was home grown should pick from as few of the others were. And he didn't screw us over like duff
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 22:35
Shade wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 18:41
Sorry didn't know it was home grown should pick from as few of the others were. And he didn't screw us over like duff
Don’t have to be home grown, but I should have said I didn’t mean quality players who did well here but from day one knew they were going to leave for a higher team/more money after a few years.

For McCann, Pack etc we were still just a stepping stone and they went on to better things. A football career was still their priority, whereas the Spirit of Cheltenham is something bigger and more metaphysical than that.

It is about players reaching a level they could never do so elsewhere (e.g. Gallers, Bird, Victory) or players who could be earning more elsewhere but stay at Cheltenham for the Spirit and culture (e.g. Sercs, Long).
Fuller
John Finnigan for sure.
Archie, Bob Bloomer and David Norton also in midfield. Yatesy bust a gut too.
Well actually all of the squad 1997-1999. What a time that was.
1985CTFC
Book
Duff, Collicutt Brough
Long, Yates, Russ, Victory
Grayson, Steve C, Lloydy
longmover
Jimmy Smith, Jimmy Wring, Martin Boyle (gave his all? doubtful :lol: ), all of those guys that played mid 90's before we got into gear from 97 onwards. They were properly non league (when non league was the pits) worked all day then played all over the country on some quite awful pitches and grounds.

there's your spirit right there.
asl
The operative parameter in the OP is 'EFL'...
asl
And I'm sorry, but M Duff doesn't qualify for me - I was there to see his "I'm leaving" game against Notts County.
longmover
asl wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:04 The operative parameter in the OP is 'EFL'...
then mentions Dale Watkins as a sub, don't think he played in the EFL?
asl
longmover wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:34
asl wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:04 The operative parameter in the OP is 'EFL'...
then mentions Dale Watkins as a sub, don't think he played in the EFL?
Good point! OP is a knob.

Superdale definitely overlapped with Grayson, though - did he play in our first season in the EFL? I know Jason Eaton quit before we played, but I can't recall whether Dale played one season.
Si Robin
Dale Watkins played in the EFL - I'm not sure exactly how many he played, but he realised very quickly that he wasn't up to the standard and went out on loan to Kettering before joining them permanently that December.

EDIT: Nesty's site comes to the rescue again - Dale played 4 games in the 99/00 season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:54 Dale Watkins played in the EFL - I'm not sure exactly how many he played, but he realised very quickly that he wasn't up to the standard and went out on loan to Kettering before joining them permanently that December.

EDIT: Nesty's site comes to the rescue again - Dale played 4 games in the 99/00 season
Correct. I saw Dale play in the EFL. The misinformation peddlers above had me questioning my own eyes for a moment but facts come to the rescue.
Si Robin
The argument though would be that he didn't play above himself in the EFL. In fact, with greatest respect, he was bloody dreadful in the EFL. That he was shipped out in September tells its own story.
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:05 And I'm sorry, but M Duff doesn't qualify for me - I was there to see his "I'm leaving" game against Notts County.
Bit bitter aren't you, over 1 game ?
asl
Not at all. Just think it disqualifies him from the boundaries of the OP.
Ihearye
1985CTFC wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 09:47 Book
Duff, Collicutt Brough
Grayson, Steve C, Lloydy
[/quote
Wouldnt have M duff near it, his best match NI v Spain not a chelt legend
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 16:19 Not at all. Just think it disqualifies him from the boundaries of the OP.
Doesn't disqualify my opinion does it?
I guess I could disqualify any of your picks, if I wanted. But I won't be so petty. He was someone who did come through the ranks and played well for us, and as an aside Managed us. Why so negative on MD?
Am only standing up for my picks.
Last edited by 1985CTFC on 15 Feb 2024, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 16:41
1985CTFC wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 09:47 Book
Duff, Collicutt Brough
Grayson, Steve C, Lloydy
[/quote
Wouldnt have M duff near it, his best match NI v Spain not a chelt legend
300 appearance over 8 years. Doesn't seem to shabby to me. Guess you just have a gripe with Duff.
I appreciate your view, but a bit harsh in my opinion. I am sure I saw his debut and saw all his games for us over the years
and qualifies in my opinion.
Wiki below
In Duff's first full season at the club, Cheltenham were promoted from the Southern League before winning the FA Trophy at Wembley in 1998. The following year, Duff scored a 93rd-minute winning goal against Yeovil Town to promote Cheltenham to the Football League

Cheltenham won promotion again in 2002, with Duff playing as a centre-back in the team, having previously played right-back.He was named in the 2001–02 Third Division Team of the Year by the Professional Footballers' Association.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 15:13 The argument though would be that he didn't play above himself in the EFL. In fact, with greatest respect, he was bloody dreadful in the EFL. That he was shipped out in September tells its own story.
Yes to be fair that’s right. OP is knob, as someone said.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 17:46
asl wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 16:19 Not at all. Just think it disqualifies him from the boundaries of the OP.
I guess I could disqualify any of your picks, if I wanted. But I won't be so petty. He was someone who did come through the ranks and played well for us, and as an aside Managed us. Why so negative on MD?
The original post even rules Duff out.

No one is disagreeing he is one of our best ever players, came through the ranks, managed us but that is different from the Spirit of Cheltenham.

In fact, he is the only guy to jump ship at the first chance as both player and manager.

A legend, yes. A great, yes. A historic goal, yes. But the thread wasn’t about those attributes. It was about the Spirit of Cheltenham.
Si Robin
To be fair to Dale, if I remember correctly it was he who decided he wasn't able to step up. It takes a big man to recognise their deficiencies and not take the wage regardless.

As for Duff - he absolutely does not qualify for this. As a player he threw his toys out of the pram in demanding the move to Burnley, then as a manager he left for the first club to offer him a decent wedge.

Mickey is a club legend - of course he is - but he never put the club above his personal ambition.
asl
FFS... Nobody has suggested otherwise... My exact words: "I'm sorry, but M Duff doesn't qualify for me"
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 18:23
The original post even rules Duff out.

No one is disagreeing he is one of our best ever players, came through the ranks, managed us but that is different from the Spirit of Cheltenham.

In fact, he is the only guy to jump ship at the first chance as both player and manager.

A legend, yes. A great, yes. A historic goal, yes. But the thread wasn’t about those attributes. It was about the Spirit of Cheltenham.
Only guy to jump ship at first chance ,,give me a break...300 games for us and chance to play Championship/Prem football. What do you want, people to stay here until they receive their pension. All players given a chance to better themselves shouldn't disqualify them from this pseudo quality called spirit.
All I can say your idea of spirit is different to mine.
Guess SC jumped ship, no one commented on him.
1985CTFC
asl wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 18:34
FFS... Nobody has suggested otherwise... My exact words: "I'm sorry, but M Duff doesn't qualify for me"
Not allowed to argue my case?
Lets see your 11 so we/I can comment then.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 18:24 To be fair to Dale, if I remember correctly it was he who decided he wasn't able to step up. It takes a big man to recognise their deficiencies and not take the wage regardless.

As for Duff - he absolutely does not qualify for this. As a player he threw his toys out of the pram in demanding the move to Burnley, then as a manager he left for the first club to offer him a decent wedge.

Mickey is a club legend - of course he is - but he never put the club above his personal ambition.
Whats he supposed to do stay at Chelt till he is grey!!!!!!!!!!