Transition

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
So MY has almost completed his squad

Now the fans need to give the players a chance.
We need to give them a chance to blend
We need to be lucky with injuries unlike last season

We need points quickly and the confidence will build
We need to give the management a chance

I suspect there are still some on here would rather the team fails so that Yates get punted
I would rather we are successful and someone takes him off our hands
I want the players to be successful and we either keep them and build or if we need to sell we get a decent pay back

So COYR

Mid table would be acceptable this season top 7 would be job done anything else is a bonus
Robin
I have extremely low hopes for this season and for once would snap your hands off for a top half finish.
Joey
Robin wrote:I have extremely low hopes for this season and for once would snap your hands off for a top half finish.
"We'll finish top three this season" - Robin a year ago
Robin
Yes Joey we underachieved massively last season, this season our squad looks bottom eight, anything above that I will be pleasently surprised.
mattyboi
Robin wrote:Yes Joey we underachieved massively last season, this season our squad looks bottom eight, anything above that I will be pleasently surprised.
Really!! Bottom 8, man for man id say those who left in the summer have been replaced with better players. (Pre-haps bar the GK) Although Carson looks more the adequate for league 2
Robin
Yes it's how I feel and when I speak to other fans this appears to be a concurrent theme that we look very weak but we hope to be proven wrong. We have lost Sido, Jermaine, Scotty, Cureton and Noble all quality players for this league and have replaced them with kids and unproven players.
mattyboi
Robin wrote:Yes it's how I feel and when I speak to other fans this appears to be a concurrent theme that we look very weak but we hope to be proven wrong. We have lost Sido, Jermaine, Scotty, Cureton and Noble all quality players for this league and have replaced them with kids and unproven players.
Interesting how people can see things differently, taking Scott Brown out of the picture What did the others do last season apart from cost us thousands of £££. Sido never lived up to previous seasons highs, Jermaine nothing all season, Cuerton unlucky with injury but certainly not a quality player for league 2, Noble nothing spectacular considering his wages. Give me youngsters who want a future in the game any day of the week
C.V
Out of those five you mention Robin the only one that l will really miss is Scotty.The others really didnt stand out for me Sido had a poor season Noble missed a lot of games Cureton was a luxery player that never really came up with the expectations we had of him.Jermaine wanted out and never really put his heart into it.
The replacments are unknown as long as they give there all we never know what might happen.
Robin
I guess I am not happy with the direction the club is heading and I'm concerned that we have gone from one extreme to the other and do not have the balance in the squad. Believe me I want to be positive but I fear crowds will drop again and Yates will go before CHristmas, the new man will come in and it will be a transistion. The club seem content with trying to survive, picking up cheap players and hoping 1-2 will come good and we may make a fee - that for me isn't hope of improvement. The last time it felt like that was back in the conference the first time round, we were just happy to tred water.

While I do agree with you both that say Sido had a poor season he was still one of my favourite players because he could produce quality well beyond league two. Cureton I feel we never played to his strengths, Noble was great at first but clealry wasn't bothered about being here. Jermaine again was quality but seriously lost his way - the one consistent was that they were all very good individuals for this league.

Anyway I genuinely don't want to sound depressing, I really, really want to be proven wrong nothing would make me happier.
taxidave
mattyboi wrote:Interesting how people can see things differently, taking Scott Brown out of the picture What did the others do last season apart from cost us thousands of £££. Sido never lived up to previous seasons highs, Jermaine nothing all season, Cuerton unlucky with injury but certainly not a quality player for league 2, Noble nothing spectacular considering his wages. Give me youngsters who want a future in the game any day of the week
I cannot understand why you take a player's wages into consideration when judging his ability and performances, surely he had to be our best midfielder and somewhere there is a chairman who was quite happy to offer him his current salary, its not his fault that you felt it was excessive.
mattyboi
taxidave wrote:
mattyboi wrote:Interesting how people can see things differently, taking Scott Brown out of the picture What did the others do last season apart from cost us thousands of £££. Sido never lived up to previous seasons highs, Jermaine nothing all season, Cuerton unlucky with injury but certainly not a quality player for league 2, Noble nothing spectacular considering his wages. Give me youngsters who want a future in the game any day of the week
I cannot understand why you take a player's wages into consideration when judging his ability and performances, surely he had to be our best midfielder and somewhere there is a chairman who was quite happy to offer him his current salary, its not his fault that you felt it was excessive.
My point being that Joe Hanks could have done just a good job, and did so in the last 2 games of the season. Im not a Steve Evans fan, but he definitely knows when a player is not up to scratch. Back to the original point, i believe Asa Hall will be a better player for us this season, than Noble was last season.
Si Robin
When fit Noble was, without doubt, our best midfielder. However, I'm worried that his legs have gone. His hamstring injury was down to overuse and that isn't something that is just going to get better.

Last season his injury came at the very worst time for us. We had just hit some form, Penn was allowed to leave and then Noble was out for a month.

Regarding the others, Scotty will be a huge miss but I have faith in Carson. Sido never progressed on his 11/12 season and if anything went backwards. McGlashan had flashes of decency, but more often than not was anonymous and Cureton never really settled, although his advice to Byron appears to have worked wonders.

As CV and Mattyboi say, the new players maybe unproven, but the proven players underperformed in the main last season. I'm excited to see Lee Vaughan at right-back and Koby Arthur on the wing. I have high hopes for Taylor and Brown in the middle of defence. I've heard good things about the transfer-listed Jason Taylor, which tells me that maybe the atmosphere has improved in the dressing room and maybe, just maybe, that atmosphere will show itself on the pitch next season.

I can't wait for August 16th when I walk down to Whaddon Road again.
51/84
So which is worse to have too high expectations and fail or no expectations and survive.

I also think the board have decided to wind in the money , are we sustainable or skint?
We seem to be adopting lots of fans ideas 3 or 4 years too late
Whos fault will it be but the fans?

Perhaps we are getting journey men in and they will gel
I suspect we could see a few tankings as well as a few good wins

MY has got to get them playing and you just never know but I hope we can once again prove the bookies wrong

What has happened to david Noble - where has he gone
taxidave
51/84 wrote:I also think the board have decided to wind in the money , are we sustainable or skint?
Unfortunately the loss of about 300 season ticket holders has probably resulted in the reduction of at least one player from the playing budget.
Nesty
I am quite looking forward to the new season.
art vandalay
I thought Noble played very well for us and, bearing in mind we were only about 5 points off relegation, his contribution was essential. Although Hanks has shown promise, he has very limited experience and was only sent out on loan to Bishop's Cleeve early last season, so I think it's pushing it a bit to say that he could have done as good a job as Noble.

I think injuries were catching up with Noble though, so it's probably best we didn't go for him this year. I must admit I thought we were heading for a certain relegation scrap until today's signings. The only clear weakness we now seem to have in the squad is central midfield. If we're playing 3 there, the most likely starting trio of Hall, Richards and Taylor seems to be asking a lot of Hall to make up for the other 2.
everyman
Robin wrote:I have extremely low hopes for this season and for once would snap your hands off for a top half finish.
I feel the same so i expect a struggle, especially without a creative midfield,but will be pleased with anything better.
asl
I agree. I'll probably enjoy the season a lot more than last as I'm starting from a point of low expectation. Mid-table Mediocrity would seem about right - but we'll hopefully see the emergence of the team for 2015-16. Top half will have been a decent result and will go a long way to justifying PB's faith in MY.
addhaydes
Last season was disaster admittedly but that was last season! didn't put me off renewing my season ticket one bit. I really think we are in for a really good season especially with Howarth gone and North in to shake things up also Stevie being player coach this season I have a lot of faith that play-offs is the minimum! might even bang £20 on us getting promoted ;) might even have to by the new shirt and I haven't bought a footy shirt in years. COYR!!!!!!
yftt
Yes we have the new players, but we still have the old manager. IMO he has reached the limit of his abilities and while he is here I think it will be more of the same, no matter how strong the squad.
I think the board also have reservations about him, as shown by the removal of NH. Any sniff of danger and I think he will be gone. The loss of the season ticket holders will be a major concern so a lack of decent football and results, especially at home, will also be "frowned upon" in the boardroom.

I really hope I am wrong and the team gels and we have a decent season and by christmas this is all forgotten.

btw "a decent season" is : some decent football and a feeling of consistency; a feeling that everyone is on board and the manager knows where he is trying to go. Any finish will be fine, as long as we are never serious relegation contenders.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
"We'll finish top three this season" - Robin a year ago

We only had about 16 players at the time as well.
Robin
Our squad last season was never sixteen players RCS. Even before the loans we had 18-19.
Alf
When Mark Yates first came to us as manager he was putting out teams that played decent football, passing it around and attacking with pace. For some reason, over the past few seasons, we have played more long ball stuff and as a result I think spectators have voted with their feet. This appears to be shown in ticket season sales, 300 short, and this figure may well be reflected in the number of the 'turn up and pay' brigade. Was long ball the favoured tactics of NH? Will we see a return this season to the ball being played on the deck? I hope so. I think getting the punters back through the gates is as much to do with the football played as the results. Play dull football but get amazing results - acceptable. Play cracking football but maybe not getting the results you deserve- acceptable. Playing dull football and not getting results - not acceptable. This is purely a personal viewpoint and I appreciate that others may not see it this way.
addhaydes
I agree with you there Alf. I do think/hope that with the addition of Shaun North we should be tactically more aware cause at times last season the whole crowd could see we needed to change things up and without fail the other team would score! but with Yates and North both completing their pro licenses and also having a fresh perspective coupled with young hungry players I really pray come January i'll still be this optimistic. The way I look at things though is that this is League 2 and if we had an Arsene Wenger style manager he wouldn't be here long! As long as we play as a team and make Whaddon Road a fortress. I know its a lot of hope and what ifs but I am ever the optimist....
ghandi
Lets hope Bakers gamble to keep yatesy works out.The attendence for the first league will make interesting reading.What with 300 less season ticket holders and people leaving it for a few games to see how we start,we could be a bit thin on the ground.I'd like to know how much influence North is having over precedings.If yatesys having the last word on formations & tactics,god help us!I've no expectations for this season at all,Bakers even decided to keep quiet about promotion.Still thats what makes football so addictive to watch,you never know what might happen,keep the faith!
Laurence
I'm sorry if I missed this but where does the 300 fewer season ticket holders figure come from?
Ralph
a figure out of the air from TaxiDave unless i of course missed the proof in a post too
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Our squad last season was never sixteen players RCS. Even before the loans we had 18-19.
Even in July when you said our squad was top 3 material, which was what I was referring too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:a figure out of the air from TaxiDave unless i of course missed the proof in a post too
Would be useful to have it verified before the 300 figure is banded around too widely.
taxidave
Ralph wrote:a figure out of the air from TaxiDave unless i of course missed the proof in a post too
Last season was about 1200 and a figure of 900 was mentioned a week or so ago for this seasons sales. I cannot verify where either set of figures came from but if you have any better source perhaps you will let us know.
Whatever the actual figures are, there is no doubt sales are well down on last season, which is a great pity.
CheltRobin
Good post Alf - Hit the nail on the head - Cant see how anyone could disagree. I too am hoping for some more exciting football this season. As long as the team try their best, hopefully with a decent start, the confidence will build (especially with the young players) and we can have a respectable mid-table finish.