Great result, but poor turnout.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Very poor home attendance. I did not attend as I am on vacation. But I still purchased a season ticket.

Cheltenham glory hunters should be mocked on our Regency Spa streets...
Robin
The knock on effect of last season I'm afraid. Can't ever remember the LMI being that empty since we've been in the league, but at the least the team got three points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Like you Mal, many on holiday. Especially those with school kids.
Circa 1887
Very satisfied with what was an organised, disciplined and hard working performance.

The penalty was an odd one, with stunned silence the universal reaction in the ground. Justice was served, though.

Slightly concerned by the lack of options up front and general depth on the bench, but I felt ever player made positive contributions today, and therefore the team and management deserve praise. I look forward to Tuesday.

A few negatives though - the ground was noticeably sparsely populated, especially in the Prestbury Road end. For me, that is a direct consequence of last season's debacle. Equally, I noticed a number of advertising spaces around the pitch have yet to be filled. Lastly, the PA in the Wymans Road is dire, so muffled and quiet.

Still, 2 wins and six points...that's all that matters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How serious did Byron's injury look?
Circa 1887
If I'm honest, not terribly - but may prove to be one of those niggles that takes a couple of weeks.
Ralph
i think 1 fact is important today..

when they leveled, we did not fold like last season and we scored again

builds hope
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Like you Mal, many on holiday. Especially those with school kids.
Yep Gloucestershire the only place in England on holiday :lol: :lol: I would suggest more likely a lot of fans have drifted away after last season, particularly as the pubs were busy today with plenty of people watching Man Ure Vs Swansea.
Robin
Circa 1887 wrote:Very satisfied with what was an organised, disciplined and hard working performance.

The penalty was an odd one, with stunned silence the universal reaction in the ground. Justice was served, though.

Slightly concerned by the lack of options up front and general depth on the bench, but I felt ever player made positive contributions today, and therefore the team and management deserve praise. I look forward to Tuesday.

A few negatives though - the ground was noticeably sparsely populated, especially in the Prestbury Road end. For me, that is a direct consequence of last season's debacle. Equally, I noticed a number of advertising spaces around the pitch have yet to be filled. Lastly, the PA in the Wymans Road is dire, so muffled and quiet.

Still, 2 wins and six points...that's all that matters.
Brilliant post which I fully agree with.
Shade
Many on their hols. I know for a fact 3 by me have ST's but weren't there today, so who knows how many extra will come once schools start back, and we hopefully keep picking up the points.
Nham68
3rd lowest in L2 today.... highest was about 16.5K at Portsmouth , 11.5k at plymouth, 9K at Luton.... they will surely skew the average..
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Like you Mal, many on holiday. Especially those with school kids.
Yep Gloucestershire the only place in England on holiday :lol: :lol: I would suggest more likely a lot of fans have drifted away after last season, particularly as the pubs were busy today with plenty of people watching Man Ure Vs Swansea.
I didn't say any hadn't drifted away - I am sure some have.

I am also sure that people all round the UK are on holiday. As it is the middle of the school holidays. Basic common sense.

Talk about people posting drivel......... :roll:
Si Robin
Forget the negatives, for now, lets concentrate on the positives.

We deservedly beat a team who have a great record at Whaddon Road, Koby Arthur looks like he could be the find of the summer, CBB is completely different to the player I saw last season and the Wymans boys sounded fantastic from my position near the top on the opposite end of the main stand.
Shade
Come on RCS, you know someone is desperate to have something to moan about/blame Yates for.
Last edited by Shade on 16 Aug 2014, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Jebolani
Dead leg for Byron, should play v Carlisle acc. JP
Si Robin
It's what Yates said on Radio Glos on the way home as well.
CheltRobin
Attendance low? Not much surprise to me, after all:

Holiday season, Chelt's ho e performances last season and Stanley bringing a tiny amount of away support with them. Never gonna be our biggest gate of the season.

Agree with Si about Arthur - saw him in pre-season and thought he looked like he could a different dimension to our play and so it showed today. Another genuine future talent from Birmingham
solihullkev
Absolute belter of a game in terms of excitement. Hugely entertaining.
Reliant Robin
I know a few season ticket holders that are still playing local cricket on Saturday afternoons at the moment. They will be back soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:Absolute belter of a game in terms of excitement. Hugely entertaining.
Log may it continue!
confused.com
Thought that game made the trip up today well worth it. Good solid performance by everyone, work rate could not be faulted. Maybe the midfield lost it a bit in the second half, but on the whole a good display. Thought that once KA settled down, he had a decent game and took his goal well.
I do wish TG would not take the 'hold it up' option so often and vary it a bit, by having a run at the defence.
As for the crowd, no we are not the only county on holiday, however I do feel that the relatively healthy economy of the county, will have a greater negative effect on crowds in the holiday season than some other areas represented in League 2. Also, nobody else was playing Stanley today
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is 56 one of the lowest away crowds? Barring Darlo on petrol crisis night of course.
Si Robin
I don't know how they doubled their attendance in 5 mins. I counted 27 at 2:55.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Is 56 one of the lowest away crowds? Barring Darlo on petrol crisis night of course.
I did remark at half time, it was the first time I could actually sit and count the away support

Can only presume, the others were in the toilet lol
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I don't know how they doubled their attendance in 5 mins. I counted 27 at 2:55.
Who knows - I was just relaying the information on http://www.ctfc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trickster
The poor attendance will hurt us badly if it continues, has Paul Baker announced the break even figure for this year regarding the attendance? a good honest performance today but obviously last season’s debacle as taken its toll.

We need to keep the momentum going obviously we won’t win every game but a string of respectable results may help to win some of the disconsolate fans back, and god forbid we should get a string of bad results because we will then find it difficult to get 2000 home fans through the gate, so fingers crossed.
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:...I am also sure that people all round the UK are on holiday.
They're not in Bognor Regis. Was there on Thursday - barely anyone in sight. :o

Getting back to the point, I thought we played well today. Major issue is that we still lack a real threat upfront. KA did well, but we still lack options. Seems we still can't get that second goal to kill teams off. Tactically, MY failed again. After they made their substitutions, we didn't respond and conceded a sloppy equaliser. Hanks was running out of steam mid-way through the second half, something many fans could see, but we never substituted him. Probably, should have brought on Haworth to hold onto the ball, whilst we were still leading 1-0.
CheltRobin
Reckon Yates will be pushing hard to get another striker in this week.
CTFC03
We've got to get this cm and a striker in ASAP.
Robin
CM, Striker and back-up keeper all needed as soon as possible.
Sprout Picker
Si Robin wrote:I don't know how they doubled their attendance in 5 mins. I counted 27 at 2:55.
I was counting their supporters whilst we had a corner in the first half and was well into the twenties when halfway across the area they were in, 50-60 would be about right.
Ralph
Who did we have that bought about 10 to WR during the fuel strike.. Darlo i think?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:Who did we have that bought about 10 to WR during the fuel strike.. Darlo i think?
Correct - see my post further up the thread where I said that.

"What a waste of petrol"